Adoption & Non-Vaxing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-05-2009, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS was breastfed from birth to 2 years old and we have not vaxed. We just adopted a 3 month old baby who has been formula fed from birth and although I am working on inducing lactation, the results have been poor. I have received a small amount of donor milk, but it is not enough to feed him exclusively.

My question to you...

Would you selectively vaccinate a non-breastfed child? He received the Hep-B vax at birth and was circ'd, all of which we had no control over. I'm lost and don't know what to do.

TIA!

PCOS & MTHFR Homo C677t: Progesterone, Lovenox, Methylfolate, Methylcobalamin, P-5-P :::: 10 years of combined TTC, one bio son, one son via adoption * 4 miscarriages, 2 adoption homestudies, 1 stillbirth daughter Aurora (12/11/2010),  rainbow1284.gif baby due July 15 2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 04-05-2009, 12:19 PM

What are your reasons for not vaxing your oldest? What do you believe about the vaccinations and the diseases the vaccinations are designed to protect against?

If you do not vax your oldest because you believe that breastfeeding protects him from everything, then you have some serious decisions to make.

If you do not vax because you believe the risks of the vaccines outweigh any possible benefits, then your decision will be easier. It sounds like you need to go back to the research beginning of deciding which diseases you are afraid of and then looking at the vaccine and deciding if you believe the vaccine is safe and effective enough to inject into your child.

You have to do what makes you most comfortable.
#3 of 13 Old 04-05-2009, 12:21 PM

It might be useful to you to come over the the adoption forum here on MDC. This is a discussion that happens a whole whole lot over there.

And, Congratulations!!!!!

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#4 of 13 Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Wendy, I am off to check it out. It will be very helpful to talk to other moms that can understand my concerns.

PCOS & MTHFR Homo C677t: Progesterone, Lovenox, Methylfolate, Methylcobalamin, P-5-P :::: 10 years of combined TTC, one bio son, one son via adoption * 4 miscarriages, 2 adoption homestudies, 1 stillbirth daughter Aurora (12/11/2010),  rainbow1284.gif baby due July 15 2012

#5 of 13 Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 AM

I would not. I would feel like not breastfeeding AND vaccinating would be two strikes.

-Angela
#6 of 13 Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I would not. I would feel like not breastfeeding AND vaccinating would be two strikes.

-Angela
Same with me. I couldn't vax my dd but she is not vaxed.
#7 of 13 Old 04-06-2009, 06:04 PM

I agree.

For what I feel is best for my kids, that includes not vaxing and breastfeeding.
Take away the breastfeeding, and that changes nothing except that i'm not breastfeeding.
#8 of 13 Old 04-06-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaziz View Post
I agree.

For what I feel is best for my kids, that includes not vaxing and breastfeeding.
Take away the breastfeeding, and that changes nothing except that i'm not breastfeeding.
Ditto!
#9 of 13 Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 AM

My son was adopted. I did not breastfeed. He was on formula from day one. We took custody when he was three years old. We delayed all vaccines. (We were with his birthmom in the hospital, and she declined the Hep B for us, though we did do the Vit K. She was also happy to know that we weren't going to circ him.) We did the Hib at 7 months, and completed the series. The Hib is the only vax we did, and the only one we will do.

I hope this helps! And congratulations on the new addition to your family!

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#10 of 13 Old 04-09-2009, 01:51 PM

My last child has sn and could not nurse. Nevertheless he's been as healthy as the other 2 as far as not getting colds, ear infections, fevers, etc. And we are not isolated at home - we are exposed to other people all the time. I really do believe vaxes break down the immune system rather than build it up.
#11 of 13 Old 04-17-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemarie View Post

Would you selectively vaccinate a non-breastfed child?
Personally, no I wouldn't. I would not recommend vaccines for anyone because I think they weaken the immune system, are harmful and ineffective, all of them.

If I was in your situation, I would do a homemade formula from www.westonaprice.org (they have recipes) and the nutrients in that should help strengthen his immune system; better than any commercial formula.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#12 of 13 Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 AM

I heard it said on anther thread and I agree 100%: breastfeeding doesn't take away the dangers of vaccinations, so no I would not vaccinate simply because I could not breastfeed!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#13 of 13 Old 04-17-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_howell View Post
I heard it said on anther thread and I agree 100%: breastfeeding doesn't take away the dangers of vaccinations, so no I would not vaccinate simply because I could not breastfeed!
That might have been me - I say it a lot. This question comes up a fair bit.

My baby has been on formula 100% since three weeks old. I have not, and will not, vax.

Being on formula may slightly increase her chances of getting sick, but it doesn't make vaccines any safer!! At nearly nine months old she has had only two minor colds (mainly just sniffles) and is loads healthier than my friends' vaccinated, breastfed babies.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page