What do you tell your 2-3 yo about vaccines? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-13-2009, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm cross-posting with the general vaccines forum because on second thought this might be the better place to ask this.

The little girl (8 mo) I babysit had a bandaid where she had a shot the other day, so the subject came up with my almost 3 yo DD. The baby's mom was right in the next room, so I didn't want to say anything that might sound judgmental. I told her the dr gave her a shot, and of course she wanted to know why, and all about how, etc. I told her that they put medicine in a needle and have to poke it through the skin to get it into her body. When she wanted to know why, I said that they are "supposed to keep you from getting certain 'bugs' (illnesses)." It didn't get much farther than that, but then a song came on a kids' CD we were listening to about a kid at the dr wanting to know if they were going to give him a shot. Maybe I am just paranoid because I don't know how to answer her questions, but I could have sworn she was picking up on that as well. I managed to divert her attention back to the puzzle we were working on, but I'd like to have some better things to say to her.

Oh and BTW, DD hasn't had any shots since she was 10 weeks old, although she did have her blood drawn and some finger pricks that I don't even think she remembers.

#2 of 3 Old 04-13-2009, 04:56 AM

When we went to our dr., a baby was crying and DS wanted to know why. We asked the dr.'s assistant, who said the baby was getting shots. DS asked what shots were. I said that some kids get shots, which are sort of like medicine that comes in a needle. I then said, "We don't get shots."

Recently, we went back to the dr. and Jack asked if a baby would be getting shots. I said I didn't know. He then said that he wanted a shot. I said, "No you don't, silly boy!" and turned on a CD.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#3 of 3 Old 04-13-2009, 10:49 AM

The closest we came was in Sunday School, where there is a doctor's kit; for some reason all of the kids are drawn to the toy syringe (kind of creepy if you ask me) and like to give each other shots. I would always discretely redirect my kids away from the "game." Well one day the teacher had a whole dialogue going on about it like, "Sometimes at the doctor's you get a shot?" and ds looked all confused and said "No, I get a sticker and tootip [q-tip; he collects them]."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page