Vaccination Rates "Research" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've been getting these phone calls from something that shows up on the caller ID as "Research Center" in a San Diego County CA area code. I usually just ignore the calls, but they've been calling daily for about a week now. So today I pick up the phone to tell them I'm not interested in whatever they are selling (to try and stop the calls) and I was rather surprised. They said they were doing a survey on vaccination rates in my area. (!) (I wonder who has commissioned this "research".)

Just wanted to let you all know that someone might be calling you for this purpose.

FWIW, I told them I was not interested in participating. The caller continued to ask if there are any children in the home between 2 and 24 months. I repeated that I was not interested in participating. After my second response they finally gave up.

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

#2 of 12 Old 04-14-2009, 04:53 PM

hmmmm, very interesting
#3 of 12 Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 AM

It could have been the CDC hiring a research company to do the phone calling. It has happened before.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#4 of 12 Old 04-15-2009, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I would think the CDC would have the clout to ask doctors to provide statistical records. That would be way more accurate than a phone poll.

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

#5 of 12 Old 04-15-2009, 02:13 PM

But if they want to really know why people choose to vaccinate or not, they'd need to ask, records aren't very helpful for that.

And actually, I was reading a study just recently, it's surprisingly hard to get accurate data on this. A study I just read tried to verify vaccinations given between the state vaccine registry and the provider's records, and there was a lot of data that didn't match--and this was for kids covered by a couple specific insurance companies (they were using that as their data pool to look at) with kids with continuous coverage during the time period, so switching providers shouldn't have been an issue. Apparently getting accurate data is harder than I would've thought.
#6 of 12 Old 04-15-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder if it's because of this...

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=706&sid=1649416

#7 of 12 Old 04-15-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
I wonder if it's because of this...

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=706&sid=1649416
Three measles cases? Seriously? That is a panic-inducing outbreak now? :

And I love how the article states, in all seriousness, that the vaccines last for life. Really? How many 80-year-old people got MMR in childhood so we can check their titres and confirm they are still immune. It is IMPOSSIBLE to even know if that could be true.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#8 of 12 Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
Three measles cases? Seriously? That is a panic-inducing outbreak now? :

And I love how the article states, in all seriousness, that the vaccines last for life. Really? How many 80-year-old people got MMR in childhood so we can check their titres and confirm they are still immune. It is IMPOSSIBLE to even know if that could be true.
My favorite part is...
"increased index of suspicion"
They are sure to report possible outbreaks so quickly but dont bother to report vax reactions. Intsead they just dismiss it as "normal"

Also,
"Anyone experiencing signs of measles should call their doctor or the emergency room before going there. That way the potentially contagious person can be immediately isolated."

If the MMR provides life-long immunity then why are they so concerned that these so called "immune" people will contract the disease?
#9 of 12 Old 04-16-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

There actually was one measles case that showed up in the local hospital ER...and there was a big local newspaper story about it .

http://www.gazette.net/stories/04152...37_32477.shtml

...according to the article..."Because the United States declared itself measles free in 2000, even one case is considered an outbreak,"

#10 of 12 Old 04-16-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
...according to the article..."Because the United States declared itself measles free in 2000, even one case is considered an outbreak,"
I'm sorry, but that just made me laugh out loud! Maybe we should declare ourselves "common cold free" so we can report all of the "outbreaks" of that.

Seriously, am I on Neptune?

#11 of 12 Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 PM

And from that second article:

Quote:
"High-risk groups include anyone not vaccinated, 12- to 15-month-old infants, foreign-born people, pregnant women, elderly people or anyone with a compromised immune system," Dayal said.
WTF?? If you are vaccinated you are still at risk if you are "foreign?" What does that have to do with anything?

#12 of 12 Old 04-16-2009, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's all pretty : isn't it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page