Help me get brave! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-14-2009, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first discussion with a doctor about not vaxing today... I'm refusing the Hep B vax (I have a signed and notarized form and everything on file now)

Well, when she called to remind me to bring copies of that and my birth plan everywhere I go (in case something gets lost) she gave me a brief lecture on why the Hep B Vax is so good. "You never know when you or your baby will need a blood transfusion" was the selling point. (I tested negative for everything) When she asked "Why are you refusing?" I kind of froze up (over the phone thankfully) I told her that my husband and I were still researching and didn't feel it was necessary at this time... but that's all I could come up with.

I guess I always thought I'd be able to speak my mind with confidence...but I totally faltered! Does it get easier?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 9 Old 04-14-2009, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i think it does get easier. sometimes i "pretend conversation" in my head. like a rehearsal or something!

also, you dont have to sign any form at any doctors office stating why you are refusing-it's your choice.

and if you really have a hard time explaining to doctors-just remember that you dont have to explain yourself! its your choice for your child-you have to live with your consequences-they dont.

stay here on mdc and you'll find good support and research to help you along the way
#3 of 9 Old 04-14-2009, 01:47 PM

"Why aren't you giving them [vaccine]?" or "Why aren't you vaccinating?"

"For personal reasons of my own that aren't open for discussion. Let's talk about why we made this appointment today."

Or

"Because vaccines/[vaccine name] aren't right for our family and it's not open for debate or discussion."

Or

"Because I've done my research and have decided against them/it and am not willing to discuss that decision with you."

Vaccination is your choice. Don't bother defending it to a pro-vaccine doctor. Many of them are salesmen for the pharmaceutical industry and they don't even know it.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#4 of 9 Old 04-14-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post

Vaccination is your choice. Don't bother defending it to a pro-vaccine doctor. Many of them are salesmen for the pharmaceutical industry and they don't even know it.
I think it's mostly because she's still a student and just spitting back what she was told... I didn't get offended. I just consider it practice for my next doctor

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#5 of 9 Old 04-14-2009, 04:48 PM

Good for you for saying no to Hep B; there is no reason why a baby several days old should have this vaccine. They have a captive audience in the hospital and most parents don't even think to question. I didn't get this vaccine until I was in nursing school and then it makes sense when you're exposed to blood and the chances of getting the disease are pretty high.
When people ask us about vaccines I say firmly that it's against our beliefs and we do not vaccinate. Most people drop it at that. The nurse at our ped's office still makes little sarcastic comments. I try to not let it bother me.
#6 of 9 Old 04-15-2009, 03:30 PM

FWIW, every doctor will have a vaccine they prefer. Yours happens to be Hep B.
#7 of 9 Old 04-17-2009, 12:21 AM

"I haven't been convinced that the benefits outweigh the risks". That is what I said to our current ped.
#8 of 9 Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 PM

I went to see a health care professional today...for unusual cramps and infertility...and she pushed tetanus and hep B on me...and all but ignored why I made the appointment. I was impressed at how I handled myself. So yes it does get easier .

caffix.gif

#9 of 9 Old 04-20-2009, 10:55 PM

I just wanted to let you know I am right there with you! Except I am having to deal with our pediatrician and DH! It's horrible. I too hope it gets better. DS is 6 months and it definitely hasn't gotten any easier..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page