Travel to Costa Rica - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi there-
my dd is almost 10 months and we are thinking of traveling to Costa Rica next Christmas (she will be 18 months by then). We do not vaccinate and will be staying in a very rural location. What are the safety concerns? I did a quick search online and Malaria came up as a serious risk...

Any other ideas? Is is something we should risk?

Another option would be Hawaii, what would you do?

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.who.int/vaccines/globalsu...cfm?C='cri'

As for VPD's I wouldn't worry. Malaria is a risk for any tropical location. Dengue fever is also one Id be concerned about (also transmitted through mosquitoes). My friend got Dengur Fever in Costa Rica about 3 years ago. It was horrible but he's fine. There is no vaccine for that anyway.

IMO if I was concerned about travelling with a toddler to places where malaria and dengue fever are real risks I would go to Hawaii. However the risks are for the whole family. Most people travel to these destinations (myself included) and are just fine. You can do things to minimize your risk.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we traveled to costa rica when ds was almost 2. we didn't vax and i did worry about mosquitos. he had a long sleeved rash guard and i found a mosquito repellent that i felt comfortable with. we also had a mosquito net over our bed. ds got one mosquito bite the entire time and we had a great time. totally worth the trip.
(on a side note totally unrelated.... in costa rica, thieves target people with children as they are more distracted. dh turned around to pick up a toy for ds and his backpack was stolen from right next to him. since then we attach our bags to us or the table/chair with carabeeners. i hate to mention that, but i wish someone would have given us the carabeener tip before we got there)

User Tag List