DH had TB skin test - please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-20-2009, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Please ignore my ignorance about this, but I wanted to ask this quickly and haven't had a chance to research as my husband just got the TB skin test today as a work requirement.

I have a 12 month old daughter who is completely vaccine - free. Do I need to be worried?

My DH was told the skin test had live virus in it....... WHAT?????!!!!!!
#2 of 7 Old 04-20-2009, 10:25 PM

There is nothing in a TB test that sheds. A TB test is a testing tool, not a vaccination.

Kelly - wife to the best DH and : Mama to 6 younguns
#3 of 7 Old 04-20-2009, 10:28 PM

Who told him it had a live virus?? I've NEVER heard that. It's made to see if you've come in contact with TB...something in it reacts and will irritate his skin if he has. But a live virus? That makes no sense.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#4 of 7 Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantoux_test

I wouldn't worry about it in terms of shedding if that's what you are concerned about.

I "have" to get this for my job too. I have refused the past 2 years and they haven't come after me yet...this test has Phenol in it....nasty stuff.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 7 Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 PM

Can you get the Quantiferon Gold blood test instead?

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#6 of 7 Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. I definitely feel better in terms of my DD being exposed to anything.

He said the nurse said it was live, although now he says maybe she didn't say that ????!!!! My DH doesn't really "get it." I told him he wasn't allowed to get any live virus vaccine, so maybe he was confused.

Anyways, thanks again!
#7 of 7 Old 04-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li27 View Post
Thank you for your replies. I definitely feel better in terms of my DD being exposed to anything.

He said the nurse said it was live, although now he says maybe she didn't say that ????!!!! My DH doesn't really "get it." I told him he wasn't allowed to get any live virus vaccine, so maybe he was confused.

Anyways, thanks again!

Live vaccines don't contain preservatives afaik. The TB test - while NOT a vaccine - contains phenol as its preservative.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page