Getting informed about outbreaks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-21-2009, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was advise politely to be informed about outbreaks of diseases that we haven't vax'd against. DD is vax-free and DS had full/regular schedule until 15month check up. I thought it sounded like a good idea. I checked the CDC website but can't seem to find anything on their site. Is there a way to sign up for notifications of outbreaks in your state/area? I don't know that an outbreak would change my mind but it wouldn't hurt to be informed.
#2 of 7 Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 AM

You can probably safely rely on the media to freak out any time there is an instance of a VAD. Apparently only a single case counts as an "outbreak" now.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#3 of 7 Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Your state should have a Dept of Health that posts disease outbreaks. Also the CDC MMWR publication.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#4 of 7 Old 04-23-2009, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Our local newspaper runs all sorts of articles when there are "outbreaks". There was a number of pertussis cases this year and they report that another student at x school had it. Also the health dep wrote several articles about the importance of vaxing, there were many vacx clinics set up, etc... I remember it being the same a couple years ago when a college student got measles and when there was another pertussis "outbreak".

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 7 Old 04-23-2009, 04:07 PM

: I don't understand why it is important to be informed about "outbreaks". Especially if you don't plan on changing your mind. Would it make you do something else differently? For me, personally, the only thing that that kind of being "informed about" is good for, is causing panic. And I believe (after doing all that I can, to keep my family's immune systems as healthy as possible) the next best thing is staying as stress-free as possible. Seeking that kind of information seems counter-productive to me. But I guess everybody is different in that respect.
...Unless you want to be informed so you can have a "catching-a-disease party". That, I would understand.
#6 of 7 Old 04-23-2009, 05:53 PM

Ha, yeah our newspaper prints the 'big news', when there is a couple of 'disease outbreaks'...our latest horror story was 3 people that got (GASP!!) Measles!! The writer of the article said something about how you don't get measles if you are vaccinated..yet they said the health department won't release the names of the people (2 kids and one adult). I bet you anything the kids were vaccinated.

I figure as long as I can give my DS the best nutrition and keep him away from sugar, etc, that will go a long way in keeping him healthy.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#7 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cekimon View Post
i was advise politely to be informed about outbreaks of diseases that we haven't vax'd against. DD is vax-free and DS had full/regular schedule until 15month check up. I thought it sounded like a good idea. I checked the CDC website but can't seem to find anything on their site. Is there a way to sign up for notifications of outbreaks in your state/area? I don't know that an outbreak would change my mind but it wouldn't hurt to be informed.
Your state health department website will usually have information on this for things in your area.

The CDC information can be found here:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/ (you can click on "weekly report" and then "current volume"-- if you want to see information by state, it is closer to the bottom of each weekly report)

and here

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/

But, in my experience, outbreaks of vaccine preventable diseases usually pop up on the front page as well as here:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/

And, of course, the media...you can always set google news alerts as well that will tell you when certain diseases pop up in the news.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page