would you walk me through this, slowly. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started out vaxing my first DD she had the whole series from birth to one year but not beginning at birth (6mos). The whole thing NEVER sat right with me, and I'm trying to just go on with life because there's nothing I can do about it now.

DD2 will not be vaxed, as DD1 will not have any additional vaxes.

MIL & FIL are helping us with childcare at this time, and I was asked to provide the girls' vax records for them. Turns out the country club they go to wants the vax records for all the children in their care/programs.

I just found the Texas online form and requested 5 exemptions for each of my daughters. From the reading I've done here I realize that religious is the way to go b/c I am able to sign that form and even when it's warranted a Dr. will not sign a medical exemption.

I'm guessing once I get the forms I take them to be notarized and then file them (and provide a copy to the country club etc.).

Do they ask about vax history, if they do is it best to just pretend DD1 was not vaxed?

From the looks of it, these exemptions are good for two years, so I would need to repeat the process as needed? We are planning on autonomous edding/unschooling while working our family farm, would you suggest to renew these exemptions even if they are not 'needed' by any outside entity (school/childcare etc.)?

What else might be useful to know as I begin this process?

Thank you!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#2 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 02:12 PM

I am not vaccinated and now I am pregnant with my first and would like to have support from other mothers who are not vaccinating.
From my personal experience every time I changed schools I had to provide a letter saying that it is against my belief to be vaccinated. In college and Grad-School (In NC) I wrote the letter myself and did not have to have it notarized.
I have spent time in India, and Central America and have never had any health issues with not being vaccinated. When I went to India I took Chinese herbs to help prevent parasites and malaria and it seemed to work.
The only time I was not allowed to do something I wanted to do becuase of not being vaccinated was when I applied for Amigos Del Las Americas. I did everything and was chosen to go to Bolivia before they realized I was not vaccinated and would not allow me to participate even though it is against my beliefs and my experience.
#3 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
I just found the Texas online form and requested 5 exemptions for each of my daughters. From the reading I've done here I realize that religious is the way to go b/c I am able to sign that form and even when it's warranted a Dr. will not sign a medical exemption.

I'm guessing once I get the forms I take them to be notarized and then file them (and provide a copy to the country club etc.).

Do they ask about vax history, if they do is it best to just pretend DD1 was not vaxed?

From the looks of it, these exemptions are good for two years, so I would need to repeat the process as needed? We are planning on autonomous edding/unschooling while working our family farm, would you suggest to renew these exemptions even if they are not 'needed' by any outside entity (school/childcare etc.)?

What else might be useful to know as I begin this process?
The Texas exemption is philosophical; you don't specify religious or not. You do not need to reveal your child's vax status and it is usually easier that you do not.

Only notarize the forms as needed it is not necessary to notarize all forms at once (they only expire once notarized); it is a good thing to keep a notarized one for yourself.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
The Texas exemption is philosophical; you don't specify religious or not. You do not need to reveal your child's vax status and it is usually easier that you do not.

Only notarize the forms as needed it is not necessary to notarize all forms at once (they only expire once notarized); it is a good thing to keep a notarized one for yourself.
Thank you Emmeline. I figured (from reading here) that it's best I not reveal my first daughter's vax status.

Re: notarization of the exemption forms: I'm a touch confused, forgive me I should keep a notarized copy for myself, but do not notarize them all?

So, is one form per child a sufficient substitute for the country club childcare's vax record?

Does one form cover all required vaxs? So when they arrive I have the potential for my children to be legally vax exempt for the next 10 years?

Hi joyvs123, Congratulations on your thank you for sharing your experiences. I highly suggest you go to Bolivia on your own, it was one of the best places I have ever been and my favorite in all South America. That seems completely illegal for you to not be able to go seeing as it is against your beliefs.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#5 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In Texas it really doesn't matter if your child's already been partially vaccinated. The form has check boxes, one for each vaccine, and you check all the ones you aren't going to vaccinate fully for. Texas is rare, in that it has a pick-and-choose philosophical exemption, so you can say you don't want hepatitis B, for example, but you're going to vaccinate for everything else, and you can tell the world that, and it's fine.

You'll get the form, take it to a notary, check the boxes (probably all of them) and then fill in the blanks (names, dates, etc), the notary does his/her thing, and then you take that form and give it to the person/group who wants it. You don't need to keep a copy. I have blank forms on-hand, leftover from when my kids were in daycare. Since we homeschool, I haven't touched them and expect to throw them away when we move out of state.
#6 of 9 Old 04-23-2009, 03:31 PM

I'm confused. What do you mean by "take it to a notary"? Is that just in certain states? Because I was under the impression that (in NC) all I had to do was fill out the religious exemption form and hand it to those who request it.
#7 of 9 Old 04-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

Some states require a notary which is just a legal witness. They check ID and verify that you are you and that they saw you sign the form - that is important, don't fill it out before you are with the notary. They are licensed by the state and have a state notary seal making it official.

Not all states need notarized letters. Ohio (where I am) takes a signature as legal.
#8 of 9 Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeC View Post
Some states require a notary which is just a legal witness. They check ID and verify that you are you and that they saw you sign the form - that is important, don't fill it out before you are with the notary. They are licensed by the state and have a state notary seal making it official.

Not all states need notarized letters. Ohio (where I am) takes a signature as legal.

I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info!
#9 of 9 Old 06-13-2009, 02:17 AM

Hi Vera, Sam here. None of my 3 children are VAXD. You just request all 5 forms for both girls. take two to the bank or to notary with your ID. Save the others. You do not need to specify why you decline VAX. Its just consciencious objector. You will check off each vaccine you DO NOT want(mine has all checked off) Than you fill out the bottom and swear you are signing with informed choice and they notarize it. It lasts for 2 years from that date, than you get 2 more from your five. That way you dobt have to wait on the state etc.
The country club doesn't have to take it if its a private club. Only public institutions like schools etc. But private schools including montssorri etc can deny you as they are private and have that choice.
HPV is now on the waiver!!! Do you think mainstream America who have not VAXD their 9 year old daughters are getting the exemption letter? I doubt it but they sure like to hassle our beautiful kindergardners for their dip tet and polio!!!SHAMELESS

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page