Vaccination Conversation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-22-2009, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

We have not vaccinated my DS and we aren't planning to. We see a new pediatrician on Friday, who I've heard is relatively accepting of those wishes. Our current ped drills me at every visit. I have done extensive research on the subject but I always seem to flounder when I get pressed by doctors. All my knowledge seems to go out the window and I sound like a rambling fool. Does anyone have some short but sweet verbiage that I could use when we have the immunization talk. I want to sound knowledgeable and unwavering.

Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 04-23-2009, 12:22 AM

I am not vaccinating my child today. Let's move on to _____ reason for this visit.

At present I do not have any questions for you. I am currently researching vaccines and my child will not be receiving any. This is not open for debate.

I am continually researching vaccines. If and when I choose vaccines for my child I will let you know.

I am not convinced the benefits outweigh the risks. Unless I decide otherwise I am not consenting to vaccines for my child.

blogging.jpg

#3 of 5 Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"We don't vaccinate. I'm comfortable with that decision, I'd like to focus on X today."

And if someone pressed me, I'd say that I feel I have a lot of tools to use to support the kids through these illnesses and I'm comfortable with my decision. I wouldn't want to pull out the "I'm religiously opposed" unless I had to, if I was dealing with a doctor that I didn't expect much of a relationship with anyway and I really needed their help with something.
#4 of 5 Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 PM

At my son's 2 month I just said "We're not doing any vaccinations today", they didn't press me at all.
#5 of 5 Old 04-25-2009, 01:17 PM

All of the above, and keep up your research. It will all sink in and you'll become more comfortable with it.

Our pedi clinic is at a large teaching hospital with a huge vaccine trial/research program. I had to take Carrie in for something at 2 mo and while I was waiting for my pedi (who is fine with my vax decisions) someone from the trial dept came to visit me about enrolling Carrie in an infant meningitis vax trial. I just started asking her all of these questions and finally, she said, "Oh, so you work here? They didn't tell me you were a doctor." Me: "I'm not. Just a stay at home mom whose job it is to be informed on what she's putting in her kid."

My pedi loved it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page