Pertussis Season - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-23-2009, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From what I understand, Pertussis season is late spring, early summer. I was wondering if you take any precautions to protect your un-vaxed LOs. My Dd is 7mo so she is technically out of the most vulnerable age range (0-6mo). She is completely un-vaxed. Honestly, I am not worried but since this is my first child, I was just wondering what others do.
#2 of 8 Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 AM

Are you sure? I think I remember reading it was more prevalent in late summer/early fall, possibly in the Pink Book?

blogging.jpg

#3 of 8 Old 04-23-2009, 12:09 AM

Avoid close contact with obviously sick people and use good hygiene practices.

blogging.jpg

#4 of 8 Old 04-23-2009, 12:42 AM

hi

#5 of 8 Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
Avoid close contact with obviously sick people and use good hygiene practices.
Yep. We've had pertussis, and with a newborn as well, but it was my Dh who brought it home. By the time the nasty cough set in and we realized it wasn't just a cold, we had all been throughly exposed. This time around (very pg at the moment), I'm going to obviously avoid sick people but there isn't much else to do so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 8 Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 AM

Hi! I'm new to this site and I am so excited to find you all!

I too have done a ton of research on the subject. Before I did get around to researching, though, we decided to spread the shots out till my son was a year old. After that we stopped and I eventually educated myself (and hubby). My son is now 5 1/2 and my daughter, who has never had any vaxes, is 3. Even my sister-in-law, whom I've had problems with about this subject, has admitted that my children are the healthiest children she knows.

The following are the precautions we choose to take to keep our family's immune systems strong. I beleive that if/when they do encounter any disease, their immune system will be strong enough to let it run it's course and deal with it without any real complications. In the end, I have confidence that they will be even healthier (immune) from it, whether it be pertussis, measles, rubella, or anything else.

Besides keeping the toxins from vaxes away from our kids, we also keep other toxic drugs (meds, including anti-biotics) away. I beleive that is the best way to let the immune system do what it was meant to do. We stay away from sugar and high fructose sugar, as much as possible. My children know that sugar is not good for our bodies and can make us sick but sometimes we eat it (only when we are healthy and for special occasions) because it tastes good. Desert in my house is usually a fruit. They love it because that's what they know and we talk about how good it is for our bodies. We also see a chiropractor regularly to help the immune system function properly.

My children have never had the flu, ear infections, asthsma, bronchitis,... The only thing they do get are colds and I've heard that the more colds you get as a child, the stronger your immune system as an adult. Has anyone else heard that? I wonder if my son may have some kind of pollen allergy (he did get some vaxes), but it only manifests as a runny nose that he tends to keep for a few weeks.

I'm so thankful for this forum! It's tough to be the only one I know not vaccinating. I hope some of the above may help.

Have a great day!
#7 of 8 Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise07 View Post
Hi! I'm new to this site and I am so excited to find you all!

I too have done a ton of research on the subject. Before I did get around to researching, though, we decided to spread the shots out till my son was a year old. After that we stopped and I eventually educated myself (and hubby). My son is now 5 1/2 and my daughter, who has never had any vaxes, is 3. Even my sister-in-law, whom I've had problems with about this subject, has admitted that my children are the healthiest children she knows.

The following are the precautions we choose to take to keep our family's immune systems strong. I beleive that if/when they do encounter any disease, their immune system will be strong enough to let it run it's course and deal with it without any real complications. In the end, I have confidence that they will be even healthier (immune) from it, whether it be pertussis, measles, rubella, or anything else.

Besides keeping the toxins from vaxes away from our kids, we also keep other toxic drugs (meds, including anti-biotics) away. I beleive that is the best way to let the immune system do what it was meant to do. We stay away from sugar and high fructose sugar, as much as possible. My children know that sugar is not good for our bodies and can make us sick but sometimes we eat it (only when we are healthy and for special occasions) because it tastes good. Desert in my house is usually a fruit. They love it because that's what they know and we talk about how good it is for our bodies. We also see a chiropractor regularly to help the immune system function properly.

My children have never had the flu, ear infections, asthsma, bronchitis,... The only thing they do get are colds and I've heard that the more colds you get as a child, the stronger your immune system as an adult. Has anyone else heard that? I wonder if my son may have some kind of pollen allergy (he did get some vaxes), but it only manifests as a runny nose that he tends to keep for a few weeks.

I'm so thankful for this forum! It's tough to be the only one I know not vaccinating. I hope some of the above may help.

Have a great day!

Great points. We do the same. Welcome

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#8 of 8 Old 04-23-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
Great points. We do the same. Welcome
Thanks! Again, it's so great to hear others who do the same. I know so many people who feed their kids junk food all day and look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them I take my young children to the chiropractor.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page