Which diseases scare you? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 05-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM View Post
Ditto, I understand measles to be as benign as chicken pox, why all the fear now?
Not quite, in my experience with both. Chickenpox are/were a "feel lethargic and crappy for a few days" kind of experience for me, my siblings, my kids, my nieces and nephews and everyone else I've known who had them. Measles, otoh...much, much worse experience. But, still not deadly.

I'm not at all afraid of measles, mumps or chickenpox.
I'm a little nervous about rubella, but mostly because I always hear how dangerous it is for pregnant women to be exposed to it, and it worries me.

Polio scares me, but if it's been eradicated, that's awesome.

Meningitis freaks me out. I don't worry about it much, because I understand it's very rare, but it does scare me if I think about it too much.

I honestly don't know much about tetanus.

I mostly worry about some mutated virus developing into a real epidemic/pandemic...something we have no treatment for and no protection against. Nature's trying hard, imo.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#32 of 43 Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
Breast cancer scares me. My grandma and her sister died of it. Two of my aunts have gotten it (8 sisters total). If my mom gets it, I don't know how I'll stand it.
: You'll stand it by being strong for her. My mother had it over 25 years ago anf she is still alive, although it killed her mother.

If you have nursed kidlets for a total of seven years over the course of a lifetime, this is one disease you don't have to worry about.

link

I haven't seen anyone mention Morgellon's Syndrome yet. That scares me a lot worse than any VPD.
#33 of 43 Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
autism

not a disease, or really something you can catch but it scares me to death.

i am cautious of rabies, worms, protozas and such because we are outdoorsey and frequently eat things off the ground

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#34 of 43 Old 05-11-2009, 09:38 PM

Polio.
#35 of 43 Old 05-11-2009, 09:49 PM

stupidly chicken pox but only a little. Since my mom keeps saying i need to get the vax since i can die if i get teh chicken pox.

My son hasn't been vaxed since 4months. I was exposed alot as a child and never got it but bloodwork done when i was pregnant with my son in 2006 showed i was not immune.

I was pushed into 1 part of the vax to be able to leave the hospital after his birth AMA. was never given the other part they said i'd be given at 6wks pp.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#36 of 43 Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 PM

I was reading a little about tetanus the other day and it really had me freaked out. It sounds so scary! Seizing so uncontrollably as to break your spine? Seriously? So what's the prevalence of Tetanus in the US now? All I had known about was the lockjaw part...can it really be so deadly?

me-45, DH-46, ds1-23, ds2-18, dd1-17, dd2-14, dd3-4....hoping for #6.....

#37 of 43 Old 05-11-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
The only polio that currently exists is the vaccine derived polio, as of I believe 2003 the wild free polio has been eradicated. BTW so has smallpox.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5540a3.htm
Wild poliovirus is not eradicated from the world, as of May 5, 2009 so far, for the year 2009 there have been 396 cases reported in 17 different countries. http://www.polioeradication.org/casecount.asp

in the past week (remember the data is as of May 5)
Afghanistan - 1 new case
India - 4 new cases
Nigeria - 2 new cases,
Pakistan -1 new case
Horn of Africa - 5 new cases

13 cases of wild poliovirus this last week, wild polio has not been eradicated in the world.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/polio/.../expanded2.htm
last cases of wild polio in...
1991, the western hemisphere, a boy in Peru, Luis Fermin Tenorio
1997, western pacific region
1998, Europe, a boy in Turkey, Melik Minas
http://americanhistory.si.edu/polio/timeline/index.htm
1979, last case of wild polio in the United States.

smallpox
http://biotech.law.lsu.edu/blaw/bt/s...r46(42)990.htm
Quote:
As of April 14, 1978, no cases of smallpox have been reported to the World Health Organization (WHO) from anywhere in the world since the last case had onset of rash on October 26, 1977, in Merka town, Somalia. However, a total of 2 years of effective surveillance must elapse before this last endemic area can be confirmed to be smallpox-free.
Most of the data you will find will say that smallpox was erradicated in 1979.
#38 of 43 Old 05-12-2009, 03:44 PM

FWIW, MRSA is killed by tea tree oil - but I'd still rather avoid it altogether. One more reason to steer clear of the hospital!

As for the diseases, none of them scare me as in worrying about them. If one of my kids became ill with something like meningitis, it would most definitely be scary. However, it is my belief that nutrition is the #1 factor in overall health, and we do all we can to ensure that our children are given healthy foods that support their immune systems, in addition to being well versed in homeopathic remedies and ways to augment their immune systems when need be.

As for things like measles causing death: we are never told what underlying issues a person has had that has ended up with a serious case of otherwise benign illnesses like measles and mumps. We don't know what their nutrition was like, if they were immunocompromised, what underlying issues might have caused them to have complications. For instance, in From One Prick to Another, by Hilary Butler, p. 135:

Quote:
...two deaths from measles which were held up in front of New Zealand parents to show it could happen to all their children. Until eager minds read that one was a six-year-old with non-Hodgkins lymphoma, on chemotherapy, who had previously been immunized at 10 months, and the other was an unimmunized six-year-old girl with I-cell disease (a mucolipidosis).
I do what I can do, control what I can control; I can give my children the best chance at surviving and thriving by providing them with intact immune systems and optimal health through nutrition (and regular chiropractic care).

#39 of 43 Old 05-12-2009, 05:11 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Altzhimer's. I am watching my mom die from it right now. It is horrible. I wish that it would just hurry up and kill her so that there will be an end to her suffering.

It is genetic and many of my family members have had it... I am terrified of going through the same thing, for myself and my LO.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#40 of 43 Old 05-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post
Altzhimer's. I am watching my mom die from it right now. It is horrible. I wish that it would just hurry up and kill her so that there will be an end to her suffering.

It is genetic and many of my family members have had it... I am terrified of going through the same thing, for myself and my LO.
sorry

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#41 of 43 Old 05-12-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:

s my grandmother is losing the battle with some form of dementia. It is very scary and sad

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#42 of 43 Old 05-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:

:

I watch the way my relatives live and choose not to believe that it is genetic in my family.

I am neither well educated nor eloquent when it comes to vaxes, but if you do your research, you will probably find that not vaxing is another way to reduce your exposure to alluminum besides avoiding antiperspirants. I guess you'd kind of have to know my family to really understand how hopeful this makes me even though saying so is kind of mean....
#43 of 43 Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 PM

Only meningitis...and not enough that I really stress over it. A very good friend of my DH's literally just dropped over dead in a gas station parking lot in front of her sister and her parents of meningitis...she was otherwise healthy, had a headache that day but nothing else.

But then I hear about my little brother's father he had meningitis (bacterial I think?) as a teenager and is still alive and kicking (obviously since I have a little brother )

I'm not scared of tetanus (I had a dr tell me that if you bleed you're fine because tetanus can't live in oxygen) or meseals (My grandmothers and grandfathers all had it and lived to tell the tale) or mumps or any of that.

But meningitis does freak me out a little bit.

And in a Non-VPD form...lung cancer...my friend is watching her mom die of it right now.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page