Which diseases scare you? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The diseases we vaccinate for don't really scare me. I figure my kids may or may not get them, but we'll just deal with them if she does. I focus more on healthy living and building up our immune systems.

But, I know that even for some non-vaxers, there are diseases that really scare them for some reason. I figure even of the ones that scare me, the vaccine scares me more!

Care to share which worry you and why?

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#2 of 43 Old 04-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm with you. I'm not too worried about most things. Now that my boys have gotten older. I was a bit worried about the things like pertussis that can be more dangerous with a really little one. My completely unvaxed son has had chicken pox and he had such and easy time with it. I know his immune system is working great. I was talking to DH last night and I mentioned how I would actually like our DS's to get measles since it has been shown to boost the immune system.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#3 of 43 Old 04-28-2009, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Honestly, the only time I worry is when the news is over-sensationalizing stuff.

They were all breastfed for at least two years, we don't do school or day care, and we try to eat well and limit junk foods. Overall they are pretty healthy I think.

My five range in age from almost 9yo down to 4mo and none of them have contracted diseases that they could have been vaxxed for.

#4 of 43 Old 04-28-2009, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The only thing that scares me is menengitis which I know is not a disease in and of itself.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 43 Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
All of them and none of them KWIM. I fear/respect all germs the same, whether there is a vax or not. There are far to many germs out there that I could go crazy if I worried about them all. I just hope for the best and try to give my DD the best possible immune system.

What scares me more are the diseases which have no cure, like crohn's disease or athsma. Not caused by a germ but very scary.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#6 of 43 Old 04-29-2009, 04:09 AM

Good Question!
I am worried about the ones I could vaccinate for and that could end up being deadly (Tetanus, Measels). In the end I have to accept what's coming and trust that things will be ok.
As my friend said: Whether you vaccinate or not things can happen and you might have to sit down with your hurt child and tell him/her that you tried your best to make the decision that made the most sense for this child/family.

Measels scare me because even my non-vax doctors says that the virus has changed and that is used to be harmless but is much more severe now. It could be that the vax virus mutated together with the wild version and caused this stronger virus OR that the use of fever reducers has caused the increase in SSPE as the immune system can not effectively destroy the invader.

Otherwise I am worried about cancer since my extended family has had way too many cases in the last few years (dad:terminal colon cancer, cousin: breast cancer, aunt: multible Myelom (sp?)).

Greetings from Vienna, AUstria!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#7 of 43 Old 04-29-2009, 02:15 PM

I don't think I worry about diseases that much. Like other mom's I would like then to get these illnesses as children to boost their immune system and give natural immunity.

My 4 yo seems to have mumps right now and it is seriously no big deal. He had a cold with a puffed out face on one side. He did cry one night 2-3 times from his face hurting so I just cuddled him in bed rubing his back and he would fall asleep fast. I gave him lots of fermented cod liver oil, sodium ascorbate, sambucol, homemade chicken soup and the puffiness was gone in less than 2 days. I am wondering if dd has it because she had a fever yesterday for a bit and cold symptoms.

Lydiah--If it makes you feel better there are natural cures for stuff like Chron's and asthma. Just not in allopathic medicine!

Gismobabe--Look into vitamin D if you are worried about cancer (especially colon and breast)

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#8 of 43 Old 04-29-2009, 04:56 PM

Well-it's funny cuz the things that scare me are mostly not vaccine preventable (Mrsa, stuff like that)

The only "disease" that really scares me is tetanus- but I don't fear that my children will get it. Just the thought of it is pretty scary.
I really don't worry about it though.
That being said- that is the only one that should there be an injury that didnt bleed and I thought was worth it- we'd get the tig. but I would have a REALLY hard time w/ it.
I guess i just look at it as the same as like rabies. If my child was bit by an animal that we thgouth to have rabies- I'd get the rabies series.

I can't tell u what DOESN'T scare me-
pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, flus- and even polio really.
#9 of 43 Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
The only thing that scares me is menengitis which I know is not a disease in and of itself.
Can you explain? This is the one that scares me and would love to hear more about that.

Non of others scare me but after Oprah yesterday I have to say that the non-vax diseases seam even more scary! They covered flesh eating bacteria (staph) and MRSA. CRAZY

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
#10 of 43 Old 04-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismobabe View Post
Good Question!
I am worried about the ones I could vaccinate for and that could end up being deadly (Tetanus, Measels). In the end I have to accept what's coming and trust that things will be ok.
As my friend said: Whether you vaccinate or not things can happen and you might have to sit down with your hurt child and tell him/her that you tried your best to make the decision that made the most sense for this child/family.

Measels scare me because even my non-vax doctors says that the virus has changed and that is used to be harmless but is much more severe now. It could be that the vax virus mutated together with the wild version and caused this stronger virus OR that the use of fever reducers has caused the increase in SSPE as the immune system can not effectively destroy the invader.

Otherwise I am worried about cancer since my extended family has had way too many cases in the last few years (dad:terminal colon cancer, cousin: breast cancer, aunt: multible Myelom (sp?)).

Greetings from Vienna, AUstria!
Is Measles really worse or is this the scare tactic from the doctor? I hear about measles outbreaks but I never hear about deaths.

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
#11 of 43 Old 04-29-2009, 06:24 PM

Mumps. A friend of my father's was left sterile from this. I have no idea what the statistics are, but it scares me.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#12 of 43 Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 PM

Tetnus. Mostly because you never *really* know if there's been exposure until way after the fact when it may be too late. Measles, mumps, rubella, eh I've seen all of these and I'm not worried. Same with Chickenpox. Polio may scare me (my dad told me a little about the bone deep terror and panic my grandparents felt over that one, how they were on a trip and ended up driving all night because there were reports of polio in the town they'd planned on stopping in, etc.) but I didn't stop vaxxing until after both kids had already been immunized against it, so I'm glad I never really had to actually make the call on it. Otherwise, the others don't really concern me.
#13 of 43 Old 04-30-2009, 02:24 AM

Polio is the only one that really scares me, I guess because it just seems more dangerous, more likely to have life-altering complications. Measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, are all things that were typical for children to have and not typical for them to have complications from, whereas polio was one in which many children DID die or develop paralysis. In our small area, we know nearly a dozen people who are partially handicapped from polio or post-polio syndrome. I don't feel like tetanus is a real concern with our lifestyle being what it is, and I've nursed enough kids through pertussis that it doesn't worry me.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#14 of 43 Old 04-30-2009, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I don't think I worry about diseases that much. Like other mom's I would like then to get these illnesses as children to boost their immune system and give natural immunity.

My 4 yo seems to have mumps right now and it is seriously no big deal. He had a cold with a puffed out face on one side. He did cry one night 2-3 times from his face hurting so I just cuddled him in bed rubing his back and he would fall asleep fast. I gave him lots of fermented cod liver oil, sodium ascorbate, sambucol, homemade chicken soup and the puffiness was gone in less than 2 days. I am wondering if dd has it because she had a fever yesterday for a bit and cold symptoms.

Lydiah--If it makes you feel better there are natural cures for stuff like Chron's and asthma. Just not in allopathic medicine!

Gismobabe--Look into vitamin D if you are worried about cancer (especially colon and breast)
Oh totally. i have been flare free since taking Fish oil, probiotics, Vitamin D and C, bone broths, and greens plus. I am also going to add turmeric and bromelain to my regime pretty soon. Its been about 4 years. Way better than any allopathic medicine has ever done. I have crohns btw and its why I wont vax my dd.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#15 of 43 Old 04-30-2009, 04:40 PM

Ebola scares me.

The plague would be bad.

I would definitely be concerned if my child developed meningitis, but I don't sit around and worry about it. There are lots of different strains of illness that can cause it that we don't vax for.

I am more concerned about her developing her father's collitis, which was a major reason why we didn't vax her to begin with.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#16 of 43 Old 04-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Measles and meningitis.
#17 of 43 Old 04-30-2009, 10:13 PM

Meningitis scares me. Probably the only reason is b/c my SIL fiance' died of it several years ago. We watched a healthy 21 year old college student go from healthy to dead in just a few short days. It was horrifing and I hope that I never witness it again.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#18 of 43 Old 04-30-2009, 10:53 PM

social mrsa and car accidents.

No vaccine for those!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#19 of 43 Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 PM

Ebola...dengue fever...MRSA

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#20 of 43 Old 05-02-2009, 11:13 AM

MRSA, my friend's child's ped. said 90% of skin infections now are MRSA!!

I hope my DS doesn't get pertussis, whooping cough, until he's older. Sort of worry about tetanuss maybe.

Mostly MRSA.
#21 of 43 Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkedyflarp View Post
MRSA, my friend's child's ped. said 90% of skin infections now are MRSA!!

I hope my DS doesn't get pertussis, whooping cough, until he's older. Sort of worry about tetanuss maybe.

Mostly MRSA.
MRSA is scary! My youngest daughter had it on her arm. It was horrible but luckily we caught it in time and she was fine after a course of rather strong antibiotics. She had a red spot there for awhile that I kept worrying would get reinfected, but it never did. Aside from MRSA, the measles, whooping cough, polio, tetanus, and meningitis all are terrifying to me. Especially meningitis. Every time my kids are sick it's always in the back of my mind.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#22 of 43 Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 PM

I guess since I work in a hospital I already feel like I am covered in MRSA. Most of the kids I see fully recover from MRSA.

I am afraid of the mutating bugs, not this swine flu, I think healthy people can fight it off. But I think it has potential to turn into a stronger strain.

Mama to & +:::
#23 of 43 Old 05-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Banned

I really feel afraid of everything until she hits 6 months.

Then cancer scares me more than anything.
#24 of 43 Old 05-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Banned

Can I ask - several of you have mentioned measles. This is one I actually WANT dd to get. Can you explain why you are afraid of this?

Thanks.
#25 of 43 Old 05-02-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
My sister and I both were vaccinated for that when we were younger, she came down with it a few months later. The vax's are a joke... Having said that, my mom came down with all the symptoms of the bacterial meningitis (the deadly one) and we took her to the ER they ran the tests and it came up negative but I wonder since not all their tests are all that accurate anyways... Anyhow I gave her lots of honey and she was of course taking all the vitamins and minerals, guess that helped her tough it out. But she was soooo bad off for about 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
What scares me more are the diseases which have no cure, like crohn's disease or athsma. Not caused by a germ but very scary.
Crohn' s disease http://www.newtreatments.org/doc.php...Experience/208

Asthma scroll down ... http://chestofbooks.com/health/mater...Treatment.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismobabe View Post
Cancer is know to be caused by nutritional deficiency in vitamins and minerals, when supplementing dont forget the iodine, that's the foundation (especially for breast and pancreatic cancer)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof5 View Post
Non of others scare me but after Oprah yesterday I have to say that the non-vax diseases seam even more scary! They covered flesh eating bacteria (staph) and MRSA. CRAZY
REgarding a staph infection, put some manuka honey on that and it'll clear right up.

MRSA http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=271835 It reads that providone Iodine killed in in 15 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Polio is the only one that really scares me, I guess because it just seems more dangerous, more likely to have life-altering complications. Measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, are all things that were typical for children to have and not typical for them to have complications from, whereas polio was one in which many children DID die or develop paralysis. In our small area, we know nearly a dozen people who are partially handicapped from polio or post-polio syndrome. I don't feel like tetanus is a real concern with our lifestyle being what it is, and I've nursed enough kids through pertussis that it doesn't worry me.
The only polio that currently exists is the vaccine derived polio, as of I believe 2003 the wild free polio has been eradicated. BTW so has smallpox.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5540a3.htm

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#26 of 43 Old 05-03-2009, 05:10 PM

Breast cancer scares me. My grandma and her sister died of it. Two of my aunts have gotten it (8 sisters total). If my mom gets it, I don't know how I'll stand it.
#27 of 43 Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 PM
WCM

Mumps can be unilateral (affects one side of body) or bilateral (both sides). Rarely does it affect the reproductive organs, but when it does, it is ALWAYS unilateral mumps, so only one teste/ovary is involved, and still, sterility is very rare. If that helps you feel any less worried?

Ditto, I understand measles to be as benign as chicken pox, why all the fear now?

I actually would feel a lot better if I knew we could still catch pox, measles, and rubella.

Passionate posts = oodles of typos
#28 of 43 Old 05-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM View Post
Mumps can be unilateral (affects one side of body) or bilateral (both sides). Rarely does it affect the reproductive organs, but when it does, it is ALWAYS unilateral mumps, so only one teste/ovary is involved, and still, sterility is very rare. If that helps you feel any less worried?

Ditto, I understand measles to be as benign as chicken pox, why all the fear now?

I actually would feel a lot better if I knew we could still catch pox, measles, and rubella.

Yeah, I thought the incident for sterility is so low the CDC doesn't even have a statistic?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#29 of 43 Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 PM

I can understand people being afraid of measles if they believe the CDC's stats on morbidity and mortality. But my research has shown its way way less so I am not afraid at all.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#30 of 43 Old 05-11-2009, 07:00 PM

Rabies and cancer, in that order. I know cancer is way more likely than rabies but rabies is an awful, awful way to die and almost always fatal. Cancer is often treatable, at least.

None of the VADs scare me much at all. Not like I'm cavalier about it, but I think the threat is greatly exaggerated. I'm much more concerned about causes of death for which there is no vaccine, like car accidents and war.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page