What is your well baby visit schedule? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-27-2009, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since the well baby visits are based around immunizations I was trying to figure out how often and when we would go see the pediatrician since we are not vaccinating. How often do you go? What is your schedule like starting with newborn.

Thanks!

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#2 of 27 Old 05-27-2009, 02:10 AM

Although we have had no vaccinations to this point, we have gone to all the "normal" visits. 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, and 15 months so far. My ped is extremely relaxed about vaccines, so I'm sure the fact that I never feel pressure to vax or even explain myself makes it easier for me to go. I like having a doctor who knows my little one, should he ever need more care than a well visit requires.
#3 of 27 Old 05-27-2009, 02:28 AM

I should mention we also did a newborn visit--and I'm glad we did. Found out my little one wasn't getting enough to eat and had lost too much after-birth weight. I kept him at the breast for the next 24 hrs. straight, and he continued to lose weight, so I hired a lactation consultant immediately who came to my house that very afternoon. Baby started gaining weight as soon as I got help and has been a very healthy child. I'm certain that breastfeeding for us wouldn't have been successful without her--and I didn't realize the baby was having problems getting enough until we took him in to the doctor. He appeared to be feeding well. I don't think he was even 48 hrs. old. I'm still breastfeeding 16 months later, so i'm so thankful we got that straightened out early . . . also my lo got an umbilical stump infection, which we just treated topically, but it could have been worse without the diagnosis, so these things make me happy we went to the doctor early.
#4 of 27 Old 05-27-2009, 02:37 AM

We don't do well baby visits. I take my son to see his ND as need dictates.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#5 of 27 Old 05-27-2009, 08:49 AM

We go to a family doctor, which has been really good for us.
For my DD - we used the standard well-baby check until 18 months and then every year around her birthday we take her in. She LOVES seeing the doctor too so it's a total bonus to her!
It was INVALUABLE for us to do the well-baby checks because we got to develop a good relationship with our doctor. When my daughter had to be hospitalized at 20 months old the hospital was giving me crap (nursing a 20 month old -I was told I was keeping my daughter sick by nursing her! co-sleeping family - my daughter refused to sleep in the scary cage-looking bed, etc) my family doctor was there for us and told me what I was doing was great and told me the nursing staff was just wrong - and she spoke to them about it! I don't know if my family doctor would've been so helpful if we didn't have the relationship built up.
For my DS - we did Newborn, 2 months, 4 months, he had an accident at 7 months which required a visit, and then we went back in for 12, 18 months and 2 years old and will do once a year at this point now too.
#6 of 27 Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 AM

I think that the newborn visit is important. We actually have an anti-vaccines pediatrician who is an MD (so her practice is like a naturopath). The doc recommends all the regular "well baby" visits, but I usually just bring my DD in to about every other one. The lead and anemia test at 12 months is probably also a good idea.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#7 of 27 Old 05-27-2009, 01:23 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish I had a doc that will take us. All of the docs in our area have kicked us out because we don't vax, so we don't do WBV because we don't have a dr. I have tried all of the family practitioners, and they don't start to see kids until they are around 5.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#8 of 27 Old 05-27-2009, 06:45 PM

We don't do well baby checks. We see a traditional naturopath. We have seen an osteopath the one time that DS #1 slammed DS #2's thumb in a door and broke it. The DO works in a regular clinic and of course there wasn't anything that could be done for the broken thumb anyway.

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#9 of 27 Old 05-30-2009, 05:51 PM

We did the first ones because I think those are important because of the infection stuff after birth possibility etc. I think that was at 2 weeks or one month.

Then I did the 2 month one.

Then I skipped to the six month one and will go back when he's about a year. Cool thing is that my ped. knows we aren't vax'ing and she said just come back in 3-6 months or so and that's what I was planning already
#10 of 27 Old 05-30-2009, 09:49 PM

I did a 6 week check up with my ds. That was the last time he has been to a doctor. He's 2 now. I don't see a point in going unless there is something specific I want to discuss or in an emergency of course.

caffix.gif

#11 of 27 Old 05-30-2009, 11:42 PM

We don't do well baby visits.

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
#12 of 27 Old 05-30-2009, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
my son sees an ND who asks to have a "checkup" once a year after they turn 1. He likes to see the babies for the "usual" wbv, just to watch and keep track of their growing. I don't really feel it is important to do the once a year checkups either, but figure it is smart to have on record.
#13 of 27 Old 05-31-2009, 01:04 PM

We don't do well-baby visits. No point. We do have 2 N.D.'s that are very knowledgeable who we visit if the need arises. We also have a chiropractor and an herbalist we trust.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. - Oscar Wilde
#14 of 27 Old 05-31-2009, 01:15 PM

We don't do them.
#15 of 27 Old 05-31-2009, 03:00 PM

DS saw the midwife until he was 6 weeks old. We haven't done any WBV's, however, we have early years centre's here (mom and baby groups) which have a nurse come once a month to check the weight and answer questions.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#16 of 27 Old 05-31-2009, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am taking my DS who is 13 months in for his 12 month WBV in a couple of weeks. This will be the last one we do. I wanted to establish a relationship with the ped and since we changed after our 6 month visit to a new one, he has only seen her once for the 9 month visit. Also his iron levels were low and I want them to recheck at this visit to see if they have come up as we chose not to supplement at that time.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#17 of 27 Old 05-31-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnanddoe View Post
Since the well baby visits are based around immunizations I was trying to figure out how often and when we would go see the pediatrician since we are not vaccinating. How often do you go? What is your schedule like starting with newborn.

Thanks!
We were going every three months...but now I am waiting until 1 year and then I will go once a year after that...for CYA reasons only.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#18 of 27 Old 05-31-2009, 05:07 PM

We went in the first visit, 1 mo, 6mo and 1 year. My other friend only goes in if there is a problem; I think that's our plan here on out.

:

Cloth diapering, Non-Vax, Bedsharing Mama to Maya 3-25-08, Mila 6-28-12 and DP Marc joy.gif

#19 of 27 Old 06-01-2009, 11:38 PM

With our next, I think we'll go in at 2 months, 6 months, one year, and yearly after that.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#20 of 27 Old 06-02-2009, 12:27 PM

We went at one week and two months. It made me feel better knowing her heart and hips and whatnot were fine - things I wouldn't necessarily notice myself. We may go again at a year, but I don't really feel the need.

I also took her to a drop in at the public health clinic from time to time to get her weighed and measured, mainly for my own interest.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#21 of 27 Old 06-03-2009, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I went a few times in the first weeks for checks and to make sure dd was gaining weight. We didn't feel the need to do the other well checks. DD has been gaining weight stedily (and oddly weighs exactly what I weighed at her age) and has met all major milestones.

Normally I only would go if there was a problem or I wanted something like labwork.
#22 of 27 Old 06-03-2009, 04:24 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Utterly nonexistent.
#23 of 27 Old 06-08-2009, 01:57 PM

We love our doctor and he is okay with us non-vaxing, so we were going "sort of" on schedule . . . but now we haven't been since DD was 10 months old b/c of medicaid paperwork stuff. Still waiting to get re-approved . . . Once we do get approved again (she's 16 months) we'll go back for another check-up- I like our doctor knowing who we are and since he doesn't bother me, it's not a problem.

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#24 of 27 Old 06-08-2009, 02:02 PM

Completely non existent...DD (now 5) hasn't seen an allopath since 2 months of age.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#25 of 27 Old 06-08-2009, 02:19 PM

We took DS in at 5 days becasue he was looking yellow (okay, orange). He ended up being very jaundiced so he was hospitalized for 3 days. We then did a check at 2 weeks to be sure the jaundice was gone. He is now just over 3 months and hasn't been back since. I am thinking if getting him in around 4 months, just for CYA purposes (and cuz I an curious about his weight).

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#26 of 27 Old 06-09-2009, 11:17 PM

When I took DD to her first appointment the ped. said they still wanted to see her at regular times even though we don't vax. So we do. I think they are hoping I will change my mind. I don't really mind taking her because it gets me out of the house and I like to get her measurements.
#27 of 27 Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 PM

My kids dr see then on a revised schedule since we don't vaccinate. We go in at the brand-newborn visits at like 2 weeks or something. Then we go 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 18 months, 2 years, etc...

Although I've been 'bad' and DD I think missed her 18 month appt. *shrug* she's been healthy and they test for lead and iron at WIC anyway so I'm not worried.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page