Medicaid Protocol - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While at the Resource Center the casewoker was really pushing hard to get my children on Medicaid. I didn't apply, but just went with it as she filled out the paperwork herself.

In the off chance my kids are covered, can I choose not to go to WCV/WBV and just take them in when they truly need medical attention? I hate having to expose them to nasty germs if they're healthy.

Anyone here have issues with HCP re: Vaccines? Can I dodge this?

I'm so afraid of the government thumbing us down saying, "We own you!" Which is why I wasn't interested in Medicaid in the first place.

I did have Medicaid during my pregnancy and used it for a sonogram and a discount for my MW's fee for a homebirth. That was it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 07:55 PM

I can see your dilemma. The kinds of dr's that you get with medicaid aren't likely going to be the ones who take time with you. They're likely the ones doublebooking and just want things to go quickly. That was my experience anyway when I had my first son on medicaid. They didn't vaccinate, however and sent me to the health department for vaccines for some reason. That was 10 years ago though. I've seen other friends have difficulties with finding a decent dr. who will see them with state care.

But....if you have a serious problem that medicaid would be great. For example, last year, my 9yo fell at the park and broke his arm. When we got to the hospital, they found a heart problem and we spent the night in ICU with lots of tests, monitoring and ekg's all night. One night in the hospital cost over 20,000. Our portion was only 2000 with regular insurance. Another friend's son had his appendix burst and had to spend several nights in the hospital. She had medicaid and spent nothing. She also has never vax'd any of her kids, so I know she was able to do it.

So, if it were me, I'd ask if you can skip dr's visits and just use it for emergencies. Are well-child visits mandatory? Can you pay for your own dr. your own way and only use the medicaid as back-up emergency care?

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 08:51 PM

I have had no issues at all with medicaid thus far <fingers double crossed, I swear I'm not bragging!>
I think it is good to have it and I would just fly under the radar ie don't use it until you HAVE to.
#4 of 9 Old 06-06-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
Can you pay for your own dr. your own way and only use the medicaid as back-up emergency care?
This is what we do. I was disgusted with the medicaid clinic we were assigned to, so I asked around and found a wonderful private doctor. I explained my situation and it turns out they charge a non-insured rate that is cheaper than the local (and awful) medicaid/no insurance clinic. No one from medicaid has bothered me yet - only a letter once a month with my renewal notice stating that a WBV is due.

Mommy to one great little boy (2009)
#5 of 9 Old 06-06-2009, 05:11 AM

BTW, OP I am in the metroplex, too

Mommy to one great little boy (2009)
#6 of 9 Old 06-06-2009, 05:20 AM

I've never heard of being assigned a dr. through medicaid. We've been on it on and off through the years and have never had any issues.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#7 of 9 Old 06-06-2009, 12:03 PM

you are supposed to declare your primary doc- haven't done so and they have not bugged me.

i get notices once a month or every few mos or so saying we are due for wbv but i ignore it. the letter says its not mandatory but that you may be entitled to extra services or rxs not usually covered.. but most everything is covered anyway yk?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
DS Feb 2009
#8 of 9 Old 07-03-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessnet View Post
This is what we do. I was disgusted with the medicaid clinic we were assigned to, so I asked around and found a wonderful private doctor. I explained my situation and it turns out they charge a non-insured rate that is cheaper than the local (and awful) medicaid/no insurance clinic. No one from medicaid has bothered me yet - only a letter once a month with my renewal notice stating that a WBV is due.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessnet View Post
BTW, OP I am in the metroplex, too
I know you posted a long time ago, but I just want to thank you for posting this. We're in N Texas and my kiddos were approved for medicaid recently and I have been curious about how this will go.

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

#9 of 9 Old 07-05-2010, 11:25 AM

texasatheart, my I have friends in TX on medicaid who have not problems not vaxing except that they have had difficulty in finding a primary dr who takes non-vax kids.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page