Would you go to a Swine Flu Party? Poll - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you attend a swine flu party?
Yes 1 1.23%
No 72 88.89%
Maybe 8 9.88%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-11-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's something that people are doing. I'm not sure I would. It's not really a childhood disease, but it would get it out of the way in a controlled situation. I don't know....what do YOU think? Since we're non-vaxxers, it's obvious that we'll not get that vaccine, so what DO we do?

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/0...e-flu-parties/

News article

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#2 of 14 Old 07-11-2009, 03:03 PM

No, I would not.

I don't trust that swine flu nonsense.
#3 of 14 Old 07-11-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I know, it seems way over hyped. But what if it's not over hyped and we're just not worried enough? Wouldn't getting the weak strain protect you in case all of the hype turns out to be true and there REALLY is a stronger strain coming our way?

But on the other hand, wouldn't attending a party surely bring about they predicted hype and the stronger strain? Self fulfilling prophecy and all.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#4 of 14 Old 07-11-2009, 10:24 PM

Definitely not, no one knows how she/he will react to it. Plus getting it now does not necessarily confer immunity for the more virulent strains to come. People got 1918 flu repeatedly, although those who got the first wave were less likely to die in the second, but more in the third wave...
#5 of 14 Old 07-12-2009, 12:50 AM

Nope. No government made diseases for my family.

Veda 9/06
#6 of 14 Old 07-12-2009, 01:42 AM

Nope I would not. Best to boost your immune system if you are worried.
#7 of 14 Old 07-12-2009, 01:59 AM

Gosh I sure hope you don't get it twice. I think that is what y family is overcoming right now. I do NOT want to do this again.
#8 of 14 Old 07-18-2009, 11:19 AM

No - mostly because its not like chickenpox or measles. Its the flu...they mutate and change, etc. He might get this strain once and never again - but theres no point in making him ill now. You don't get the flu, and never get it again - same with a cold. If he got the measles - he wouldn't get it again you know. So a measles party would be worth it! lol If he gets 'swine flu' - he gets it, its no big deal imo. But its not something I would have a party over like we did with the chickenpox! hehe

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#9 of 14 Old 07-18-2009, 12:04 PM

I don't really understand how there could be swine flu parties. the symptoms are so mild and are common to so many diseases, you'd have to go to the hospital for the test before you even knew if you could host a swine flu party.

and presumably, if you need to go to the hospital, that means you probably have a bad case and need your rest and should not be hosting a party...

and I would not attend a 'suspected case of swine flu party'
#10 of 14 Old 07-18-2009, 02:46 PM

There is good evidence to support that Swine Flu was already in many of these countries before the outbreak in Mexico which explains why it appeared to spread so fast once people started testing for it. Which means there is also a good chance many of us have already been exposed to it and have immunity.

No, I wouldn't attend any sort of influenza party. The virus is so mutable that it ultimately wouldn't do any good. That's one of the reasons why those of us who have had the flu before get it again and again.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#11 of 14 Old 07-18-2009, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
no, I wouldn't go to an influenza party. I would be concerned about who we might pass it on to.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#12 of 14 Old 07-20-2009, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I've been wondering if that flu that kicked my arse last year was the swine flu. I've never had anything like that...sore throat, getting better one day and back down the next, body aches, etc. It was sooo bad!

#13 of 14 Old 07-20-2009, 11:27 AM

I have had bonafide influenza 3 times in my 32 years. All 3 times I felt like I was going to die. I think much of the time when people think they have "The Flu" or a mild flu, it's actually just a cold virus. I've had some wicked colds in my day, but there was no mistaking them for influenza. I didn't really know the difference until it happened to me.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#14 of 14 Old 07-20-2009, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since one does not obtain lifetime immunity to any strain of influenza because it is constantly mutating, I would not seek it out. There would be no point.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page