exemption in chicago public schools? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 08-27-2009, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZoeJane View Post
I'd love to see a case in NYC where a person's religious exemption was denied based on the state not accepting their interpretation of a religious text. I had no idea that NY State had the power to say that there is only one "correct" interpretation of the Bible! If that's the case, then I sure am glad I left NY a few years after I was born!
Be glad you left NY!

Just a few...

http://healthy-family.org/caryn/1214

http://goodlight.net/nyvic/law/filenbam.htm (scroll about 1/2 way down the page)

http://www.nyvic.org/nyvic/news/newyork/rochstr2.htm

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#32 of 36 Old 08-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
I sincerely hope you wont take the following as confrontational, because I truly seek only to learn here...

My initial comment was in response to the statement that a religious exemption should not include specific religious passages because the interpretation could be deemed "incorrect" and the state could then refuse to accept the exemption.

My response was that IL State cannot question a specific interpretation of a Bible/Torah/Koran passage because IL (as well as NY) allows for personal religious exemption... meaning a person is free to interpret the passage in any way they see fit.

So, I fail to see how any of these links you provided show ANY case where NY State successfully denied a religious exemption based on the fact that a person's interpretation of a specific Bible passage was deemed "wrong"....

What was it I was supposed to be looking for in your links? (Other than some interesting reading, which they were, so thank you for providing them!)

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#33 of 36 Old 08-27-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:

So, I fail to see how any of these links you provided show ANY case where NY State successfully denied a religious exemption based on the fact that a person's interpretation of a specific Bible passage was deemed "wrong"....
I gave you those links because you specifally stated:

Quote:
I'd love to see a case in NYC where a person's religious exemption was denied
So I gave you exactly what you asked for...cases in NY state. NY feel they have the right to decide if you are religious enough and if you have correctly interpreted the bible.

IMHO - if you have chosen a religious exemption, it is based on your interpretation...being denied is them telling you that you read it wrong.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#34 of 36 Old 08-27-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
I gave you those links because you specifally stated:

So I gave you exactly what you asked for...cases in NY state. NY feel they have the right to decide if you are religious enough and if you have correctly interpreted the bible.

IMHO - if you have chosen a religious exemption, it is based on your interpretation...being denied is them telling you that you read it wrong.
Whoops, then it was my fault for not being more specific in each post. Though you did not quote ALL of my statement:

"I'd love to see a case in NYC where a person's religious exemption was denied based on the state not accepting their interpretation of a religious text."

I assumed there was more of a flow to my commentary. The sort of case I was asking for was one in which a person's personal religious exemption was denied because they put a specific passage from a religious text into their exemption letter and they were told their interpretation of it was "wrong" or "unacceptable."

I still stand by my assertion that a person's personal interpretation of a specific passage cannot be questioned. However, I am fully aware of the fact that there are cases where a person's religious sincerity has been drawn into question. (Though it still appears that in NY, those cases still seem to be ruled in favor of those seeking exemption.)

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#35 of 36 Old 08-28-2009, 01:03 AM

^^Yep, in NY you *can* use supporting scripture, as long as you are prepared to have it picked apart for possible inconsistencies. For example, if one were to use the passage about "mixing seed," you may be questioned about whether you eat meat... or would accept an animal organ transplant or something, kwim? Its not about how you interprate the scriptures, but whether or not your sincerity is consistent.

#36 of 36 Old 05-23-2012, 07:57 AM

Hello Ladies

I know this thread is very old and some of you may not still be around but I'm looking for any new updated info on this subject.  I'm sending my son to kindergarten this fall. I'm a little concerned because he is partially vaccinated and they will question why I gave some in the past (before I was enlightened) and dont want to give any now.   Does anyone have personal experience writing a religious exemption for CPS?  Were you questioned?  Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page