"NO-VAX" friendly Pediatricians... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-05-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there some sort of website that I can go to, to find out about "no-vax" friendly pediatricians? I have 3 little boys, and since we just moved to central NC, I am gonna make an appointment with the local pediatric associates office...however, if one of the doctors there are no-vax friendly, I would like to know now

My oldest, we vaccinated until he was 4 months old...then nothing, until he was 2 years old, and a doctor at his check-up/physical freaked us out and threatened us, so we did some vaccinations just to make him happy.
Our second has never been to the pediatrician...ever. He has been the picture of a healthy child.
We just had an unassisted homebirth with our youngest 3 weeks ago, and I would like to try taking all of them back to get regular WBV checks again, but without the pressure to vaccinate all of them.

I have looked in the other forums and sub-forums, but I don't think anyone lives in my area....Burlington, NC. Can ANYONE help me!???

UHBAC, CDing, SAHM to Jason 4/7/06, Tyler 10/13/07, & Micah 7/11/09, and Loving wife to Jonathan
#2 of 14 Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Try and get in touch with some local CPM's. My midwife sends a list of no-vaccine friendly peds home during pregnancy so I imagine the midwives in your area might have a list of those types of docs.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#3 of 14 Old 08-06-2009, 02:02 PM

Also try chiropractors, as in NC I don't think that CPM's are technically "legal", only CNM's so they may be difficult to find.That and since you did a UC perhaps you may not know of any. Most chiro's I know are non-vax friendly and if any of them have kids are likely to have at least one name they could give you. We live in SC and DH's chiro is how we found some no-vax friendly ped's.

-Katrina

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#4 of 14 Old 08-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I got a list of AP friendly peds from my HB MW. Many of the peds on my list are reputed to be fine with no vax. You might also want to seek out help if you have a out of hospital local birth center in the area. They helped me find a few MWs I didn't know about.
#5 of 14 Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wouldn't it be nice if a list like that exsisted?!

The only "list" I know of is http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccine...ly_Doctors.asp

Some of them are selective/delayed friendly but not no vax friendly.

I agree with all above posters. We found our ped through our chiro

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 14 Old 08-10-2009, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm...I didn't hit it off so well with my Chiro. She was super nice, but we just didn't click, and I feel like every time I talk to her, she is just thinking, "this woman is an idiot". I know I shouldn't feel that way because I never act like an idiot or anything...its just the way she looks and acts with me. Even my friend who came with me for one appointment said that she felt the exact same vibes from her!!

Anyhow, I don't know if I would get any good info out of her. NC only has one free-standing birth center, and its an hour away from me...so any peds they could suggest probably would be that far away too...ug! My midwife was fabulous because she is also a pediatrician of sorts...but again, her practice is an hour away. How come this area is so stinkin' lacking in midwives, birth centers, and naturally-minded people!?? Gah! Its so frustrating to me. Its not like NC is super anti-midwife from what I gather, and it seems like any HB midwives would be totally financially stable with all the business they could get from mama's I've heard of who are searching in the area. Right now I only know of 2 HB midwives in this state, and they are over an hour away from me...and then there is a Birth Center an hour away too, but they don't take VBAC's, even though I've had 2 already.

So, no local MW's, no good chiro referals, I guess I'll just have to do some internet surfing! Thanks ladies!

UHBAC, CDing, SAHM to Jason 4/7/06, Tyler 10/13/07, & Micah 7/11/09, and Loving wife to Jonathan
#7 of 14 Old 08-15-2009, 02:37 AM

My homebirth midwife gives list of recommended doctors and here on this board I have found some. Unfortunately for me, none of the doctors recommended take my insurance.

I have an unvaccinated 2 yr old and 5 mo old. I live in a really big city so there are hundreds of doctors. There must be some that would be no vacc friendly. My current pedi hasn't given much problem about it, but I want to switch for other reasons. With my current pedi I would just tell her I am still thinking about it and researching it. Now I am 90% sure I do not want to vax, might consider a few later since we plan to travel to some disease ridden countries overseas.

So what is the best way to go about interviewing a doctor about this issue? The kids only have a limited number of checkups where I can test out new doctors so I am considering just calling their offices and straight out asking if they will accept 2 unvaccinated children who will not be vaccinated. Do you think that is a bad idea? Or is it better to set up an appoinment for a check up?
#8 of 14 Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 PM

IDK - I just called up and made an appt for ds2 with the closest peds on our insurance... we'll see how things go on wed!
#9 of 14 Old 08-23-2009, 12:10 PM

I live a little south of the triad (probably about an hour from you), and while our peds are *not* "no vax" friendly, they're pretty cool w/ my decision. I did get the sermon the first visit or so, and they wanted me to sign a waiver but it's never brought up anymore. I think what helped the most was I gave them a copy of my religious exemption, and that was that.

Good luck!
#10 of 14 Old 08-24-2009, 12:12 AM
SFB

I switched peds 3 times b/c I was harassed about vaxes. I finally decided to call each doctor (who accepted my ins.) in my area and ask his/her receptionist if the doctor would respect my decision to not vax my 2 girls. I didn't want to waste my time with any more doctors who were pro vax. I lucked out and found the perfect doctor with the first phone call. I told the receptionist I didn't vax and was looking for a doctor who would be ok with that and not harass me about it. She said her kids were vax free also. I even told her she could talk to the doctor and call me back, but she insisted he wouldn't care. She was right. He asked me at the first appt if I would be vaxing my girls and I told him no. He said, "your kids, your decision." He's never brought it up again. He's a DO, not a ped. Good luck with finding a doctor!

Sandra.  Married to Scott since 9-00.  Mom to Erika 7-06, Ava 8-08 and Lukas 10-10.  hbac.gif novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif femalesling.GIF winner.jpg familybed1.gif
#11 of 14 Old 08-29-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFB View Post
I switched peds 3 times b/c I was harassed about vaxes. I finally decided to call each doctor (who accepted my ins.) in my area and ask his/her receptionist if the doctor would respect my decision to not vax my 2 girls. I didn't want to waste my time with any more doctors who were pro vax. I lucked out and found the perfect doctor with the first phone call. I told the receptionist I didn't vax and was looking for a doctor who would be ok with that and not harass me about it. She said her kids were vax free also. I even told her she could talk to the doctor and call me back, but she insisted he wouldn't care. She was right. He asked me at the first appt if I would be vaxing my girls and I told him no. He said, "your kids, your decision." He's never brought it up again. He's a DO, not a ped. Good luck with finding a doctor!
Gosh, I wish I could find someone like that! I am so tired of being harassed about the vaccs!
#12 of 14 Old 09-01-2009, 08:18 PM

I know its not totally an answer to your question about a non-vax doc but if you do decide to set your own schedule I saw this video of Dr. Sears talking about how to approach your pediatrician without all the grief Check it out, he's so full of info and great tips

http://www.thehealthybelly.com/

#13 of 14 Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 AM

Hi! I cant really help...but I live in Burlington and have a 2 year old unvaccinated boy..and I am in the same boat as you...he saw a dr when he was 1 month and he hasnt had anymore visits because Burlington peds say they wont see your child if they are unvaccinated. I want to find him a dr and right now I cannot afford a ND or travel too far. So... I would appreciate any help too!!

#14 of 14 Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 AM

We found our ped through MDC, I went to the tribal forums and asked there.  It took awhile to get a response, maybe someone might have luck that way too?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page