Thought this was interesting, re parental organ transplant and vaccinated children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2009, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH recently had a kidney transplant (live donor, both doing fantastic). During our post-transplant chit chat with the transplant team (while DH was still in hospital) they were going over what DH will need to avoid and stuff. I asked about the kids being in church nursery, being exposed to goodness only knows what (I'm a SAHM and plan on homeschooling so school/daycare isn't an issue) and they said that's unavoidable, DH obviously has to be around his children.

Then they said the only thing they want to know WRT our children is they want us to call them before the kids receive any vaccines.

Why?

Apparently some vaccines shed and therefore our newly vaccinated children would be more 'dangerous' to my DH then our sick with the flu children.

We didn't really go into our kids vax status because, obviously, it's not important. They did specifically ask if we did the CP vaccine and we said no (it's pretty common to decline that one around here) and they said they would draw titers on DH just to make sure his immunity to CP is strong (he had them pretty bad as a kid so it shouldn't be an issue).

I was pleasantly surprised really. Thankfully we don't vaccinate so we don't have to worry about New Baby getting a live vaccine and bringing it home to DH

Also a quick question, we're fairly sure the transplant center is going to request/require DH to have a flu and pneumonia shot this year. They haven't said anything YET but we're fairly sure they'll make him...will DH getting those vaccines interfere with the kids religious exemption? Vaccine/exemption information is required for homeschooling families in Iowa.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
Also a quick question, we're fairly sure the transplant center is going to request/require DH to have a flu and pneumonia shot this year. They haven't said anything YET but we're fairly sure they'll make him...will DH getting those vaccines interfere with the kids religious exemption? Vaccine/exemption information is required for homeschooling families in Iowa.
If it came down to that, you could say that it is against YOUR beliefs...or that it is against his beliefs as well, but he had an irrational desire not to DIE.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 08-15-2009, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My friends baby had a tissue transplant and the surgeon recommended that she not vaccinate because the adjuvents can aggravate the immune system and cause her to reject the transplant. I imagine its the same case for your husband, in which case he should not get any shots.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 08-15-2009, 10:02 PM

That's interesting. I wonder what they planned to do after you 'called them' before vaxing the kids? What did they have in mind I wonder?

It is definitely interesting about the shedding... do the manufacturers inserts not acknowledge this as well?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Old 08-16-2009, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

There were precautions DH would have to take...avoid being around the kids too much just in case after vaccines...I think. They just said there were extra precautions we'd have to take after some vaccines.

They haven't mentioned the flu/pneumonia shot...I don't know if they'll want him to avoid it or not. It hasn't come up yet. We'll probably throw a fit if they suggest the swine flu shot though...again that irrational desire to not be a guinea pig

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :

User Tag List