How do I approach the subject of vaccinations with Pediatrician's office? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a newborn baby girl, and the pediatrician that I was planning to take her to did not work out. I have a list of supposedly no vax/alternate vax schedule - friendly pediatricians in my area. When I call the pediatrician's office, how should I approach the subject of there vaccination policy? As of now, I plan on getting no immunizations for my baby girl.
#2 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 04:29 PM

I would ask outright. I'd explain that you are not planning on any vaccinatons right now and ask if they have any office policies concerning unvaxed kids. If there is no office policy, you'll still have to interview the dr to see if s/he is a good fit for your family, but that way you can rule out some. I would also post the tribal area to get good, specific recs from mamas close to you.
Melinda
#3 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree...don't waste your time on practices that don't accept unvaxed children. When we found our ped I said when I spoke to her that "right now" we are not planning to vaccinate and I told her outright nothing until 2 years old and after that I would "reevaluate". I always am looking at info and research and firmly believe that I am always evelauating things on on ongong basis anyway.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 05:06 PM

To make your life super simple, just say "We don't vaccinate for religious reasons" and leave it at that. There is absolutely no need to get into explanations or discussions. They will not question it.
#5 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I called before visiting and simply asked, Does Dr. X see unvaccinated kids? And the answer I'm looking for is, Well, of course, or something along those lines, rather than a grudging, I can check....
#6 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I called before visiting and simply asked, Does Dr. X see unvaccinated kids? And the answer I'm looking for is, Well, of course, or something along those lines, rather than a grudging, I can check....
:

-Angela
#7 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 08:37 PM

You can also post here on your tribe and ask for referrals...or call a local midwife or chiro for ideas about who to use.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#8 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 AM

dont vaccinate, its not organic, its not natural, herbal remidies and alternative medicines all cure disease (accapuncture, herbs, urine therapy, yoga)

#9 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Call the office and ask, politely, what their policy is regarding selective or non-vaccinating patients.  Tell them you don't want to waste their time (or, yours) with an office visit, only to find that you have 2 different views on the subject!  If possible, I'd ask to speak to one of the staff nurses (sometimes, receptionists will say anything to snag a new client).  You don't owe them any explaination as to why you are choosing not to vaccinate.  If pressed and you're afraid you might get daft in your response, pull the religion card and say it goes against your religious beliefs.  Federal law states they can not ask you about your religion!

I find family practice physicians tend to be more open-minded on the subject than do peds (plus, they can treat the whole family and beyond those few childhood years).  If you have any health food stores nearby, they might be able to give you the names of some health care providers in your area that won't push the issue.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page