quick..one or two sentences why you don't vax - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 09-08-2009, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My friend just posed a question on facebook saying she's starting to think about vaxes for her almost 12 month old son (he's been vaxed on schedule so far) and wants to know what people are doing.

She is honestly questioning vaxes and not just starting a debate so I want to respond that we haven't vaxed our 9 month old and don't plan to, but can't think of a good way to condense my months and months of research into a one or two sentence facebook reply.

what would you say?

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#2 of 37 Old 09-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. By giving the body the food, vitamins, minerals, probiotics etc that it needs, I can successfully keep my children's immune systems strong so they can fight off these diseases if they were to ever come into contact with them.

2. With the spikes in allergies, asthma, autoimmune disorders, autism that seem to correlate with the rise in the number of vaccines given, I'm not comfortable risking it. I would rather take my chances with the diseases which some, at one time, were common childhood diseases (like measles, chicken pox, etc).

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#3 of 37 Old 09-08-2009, 03:18 PM

honestly, I'd tell her that you'd be happy to recommend some books (off the board) to help her make some better informed decisions.
#4 of 37 Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM

I think that the common answer here on MDC is something like "I rather treat a healthy child than damage (or kill) a healthy child with vaccines." I agree with that and its as short as I can go on an explanation.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#5 of 37 Old 09-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereseReich View Post
I think that the common answer here on MDC is something like "I rather treat a healthy child than damage (or kill) a healthy child with vaccines." I agree with that and its as short as I can go on an explanation.
This is what I was going to say.

After looking into each disease and their effects in normal, healthy children, we opt to eat well, laugh a lot, and be happy. We feel more comfortable handling the known side-effects of a disease than the unknown long and short term side-effects of vaccinating.

ETA: The phrase was slightly misstated... it's "I'd rather treat a sick child than damage a healthy one". Most of us don't treat our healthy children
#6 of 37 Old 09-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
"I rather treat a healthy child than damage (or kill) a healthy child with vaccines."
:

and "I don't believe in their safety or effectiveness"

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#7 of 37 Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Also, especially good for somebody "on the fence":

You can always vaccinate later if you change your mind. But once you give a vaccine, you can't take it out.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#8 of 37 Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post
ETA: The phrase was slightly misstated... it's "I'd rather treat a sick child than damage a healthy one". Most of us don't treat our healthy children
Oh, is that what people usually say? Yeah that makes sense, but I guess I meant more of "I rather treat a healthy sick child..." because even though the child is sick, I still consider an unvaccinated child as healthy.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#9 of 37 Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Oh, is that what people usually say? Yeah that makes sense, but I guess I meant more of "I rather treat a healthy sick child..." because even though the child is sick, I still consider an unvaccinated child as healthy.
Yeah, I totally get where you are coming from. I think that most people that don't vax consider getting sick an ok thing (and some think it's a good thing). It's more of a sick vs. injured thing, at least that's how I interpret it.
#10 of 37 Old 09-09-2009, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"The risks of vaccinating outweigh the benefits for our particular situation"

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#11 of 37 Old 09-09-2009, 02:20 PM

The side effects of the vaccines scare me more then any of the diseases themselves.
#12 of 37 Old 09-09-2009, 02:40 PM

"If this is preventative medicine, I will take my chances with disease."
#13 of 37 Old 09-09-2009, 03:06 PM

The illnesses they are vaxing for are minor and rarely occur anymore due to good hygiene.
#14 of 37 Old 09-09-2009, 03:30 PM

"The best defense is a healthy immune system."
#15 of 37 Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 PM

What made me (personally) stop and think:
I can't give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. I have to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#16 of 37 Old 09-15-2009, 10:56 AM

If vaccines are really *SO* safe and effective, why do the manufacturers need immunity?
#17 of 37 Old 09-16-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rredhead View Post
I can't give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. I have to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.

Right on!!!!:

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#18 of 37 Old 09-16-2009, 10:52 PM

Risk vs Benefits of diseases and vaccinations for our personal family, based on lifestyle and personal choices.

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#19 of 37 Old 09-17-2009, 09:58 AM

"I don't believe in administering pharmaceutical drugs to healthy children unless it's absolutely necessary."

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#20 of 37 Old 09-17-2009, 11:03 AM

After researching each vaccine and disease, I found no vaccines worth the risk for our family.

-Angela
#21 of 37 Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 AM

In a separate post today here is what I listed:

1. .01% Thimerosal is an ingredient (49.6% ethyl mercury) in HepB, DTaP, Td, Hib & Influenza. That's 25 micrograms, or 50,000 parts per billion. If water contains more than 2 ppb, it's contaminated. 200 ppb is considered toxic waste. If the nurse drops and breaks that vial on the floor, it's considered toxic waste since it's 50,000 ppb.

2. by 2000, Autism has grown 1354% since 1990.

3. If you child get a viral disease such as measels, she/he will most likely be able to fight it off. If that child gets another viral disease in a few weeks, she'll fight it off. If your child gets 2 or more viral diseases at the same time, chances of complications and autism greatly increases. MMR is a vial of Measels, Mumps and Rhubella. That's 3 you are allowing them to inject your child with together, for convenience sake.
#22 of 37 Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 PM

I believe all the parents who have described the heartbreak and suffering their families have gone through because of vaccines. I appreciate and respect their bravery spreading the truth.
#23 of 37 Old 09-30-2009, 12:34 PM

In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
#24 of 37 Old 09-30-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Yes! These are my thoughts summarized in a way I never could have articulated as well.
#25 of 37 Old 10-01-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
This just became my Facebook status.
#26 of 37 Old 10-06-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotyoo View Post
This just became my Facebook status.
Wow! Thanks!

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#27 of 37 Old 10-06-2009, 01:47 AM

Me too rredhead!!!

Now I'm waiting for the proverbial crap to hit the fan LOL! I've got loads of mainstream folk on my fb for various reasons...this ought to be interesting!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#28 of 37 Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 PM

Ditto to the facebook status (minus the cow milk, we are vegan, won't ever be giving that to my human babies).
Cannot wait for the sh*t to hit the fan, my sister-in-laws are going to freak (my dd is 5 weeks, and aside from my sister who also doesn't vax, no one knows we won't be vaxing.. until now!)

Carolyn, married to M, momma to K (09/'09) and C (04/'12).
#29 of 37 Old 10-07-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
"The risks of vaccinating outweigh the benefits for our particular situation"
This is my usual response, because it's true. If pressed, I add that myself, my brother, and practically all of my 8 cousins have had reactions to at least one of most of the vaccines out there (a Hib, an IPV, a couple DTP, an MMR). Our dd has severe food allergies as well (at which point I mention the array of ingredients in vaccines), so between all of that, most people see our point very clearly, even if they're really pro-vax. I only get into discussions about the (lack of) "scariness" of the diseases when it comes up in conversation, usually.

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#30 of 37 Old 10-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page