eczema in a non-vaxed toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 10-05-2009, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd is un-vaxed and according to the dermatologist is starting to develop eczema. i thought that eczema was mainly a problem for kids that have been vaxed? does anyone have an unvaxed kiddo that developed skin issues?

fwiw, no one else in our family has skin issues or allergies to anything so this is really coming out of nowhere.

eh. who needs a signature?
#2 of 36 Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 PM

Nobody knows what causes eczema, but it seems to be a failure in the barrier of the skin itself (at least that's one current theory).

My never vaxed kiddo developed eczema. It turned out to be an egg allergy. We are a rather atopic family, however, so I wasn't terribly surprised.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#3 of 36 Old 10-05-2009, 10:47 PM

Us too. Ours are unvaxed, breastfed until 2.5, mostly organic and all of that, and both boys have eczema. Frustrating!! I have found that our is seasonal, but I don't know why.
#4 of 36 Old 10-05-2009, 11:01 PM

My sons both had eczema and it was dairy related. You may want to try an elimination diet and see if it clears up it up. Good Luck. A good Naturopath should be able to help you along, just make sure you go to one that specializes in little ones. I have found that makes all the difference.
#5 of 36 Old 10-06-2009, 12:14 AM

Eczema is an allergic reaction. My sisters DS gets it if he drinks regular milk but it goes away if he only drinks raw milk. He's not vaxed.

Veda 9/06
#6 of 36 Old 10-06-2009, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

the weird thing is that i jut had my older ds on a wheat and dairy free diet for a bit to see if his dry spots would clear up (no luck but the steroid cream from the dermatologist is doing wonders) and he's NEVER liked dairy products. my dd on the other hand LOVES cheese and yogurt and such.

we mostly do raw goat but occasionally she gets some pasteurized cow. hmm... definitely something to think about.

thanks mamas!

#7 of 36 Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 AM

My DD is not vax'd and has a dairy allergy which caused eczema until we figured out the allergy

Forest wandering mama treehugger.gif to Z 14/02/08 homebirth.jpgand T 30/11/09 h20homebirth.gif.
#8 of 36 Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
my dd is un-vaxed and according to the dermatologist is starting to develop eczema. i thought that eczema was mainly a problem for kids that have been vaxed? does anyone have an unvaxed kiddo that developed skin issues?

fwiw, no one else in our family has skin issues or allergies to anything so this is really coming out of nowhere.
Yeah, my daughter is unvaccinated and she had eczema as a newborn, which at first it looked like baby acne and then I thought it was just sensitive skin and skin irritations would happen like along her jawline where her face touched her clothes, but then when she started scratching when she could control her arms around 5 months or so, the we figured it was eczema. It was mild to moderate and mostly on her cheeks. I did an elimination diet for 2 months, excluding all dairy (even raw) and all gluten and it did nothing. Then I started having my raw milk again and then her eczema went away 99% by the time she was 9 months old, and the remaining one spot on her thigh went away a few months later and any little bits on her cheeks too and she's been 100% free from it for about a year now and she eats everything with no reaction and I've been eating everything too. So apparently it wasn't caused by food allergies or anything. The best explanation I could come up with was perhaps my toxicity was passed on to her. I had a hair elements test done because I used to have 8 amalgams in my mouth for 10-15 years of my life and I have high levels of tin and although mercury wasn't showing as high, my body is probably storing it, and I also have higher than normal range levels of arsenic, uranium and lead. Her blood test at 12 months showed normal lead levels so that was good at least. Oh, and no one from either of our families has any allergies either. I used to have acne though, until I did liver/gallbladder flushing, so maybe I passed on a weaker than normal liver to her and maybe her liver wasn't able to detoxify as much, so her skin took over and became inflamed when processing all the heavy metals that I passed on to her?

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#9 of 36 Old 10-06-2009, 02:45 AM

My son is not vaccinated, and has had eczema. He's had it since he was a few months old. It's genetic. I had it as a child, and my husband still has it. His is due to multiple allergies, both food allergies and environmental. It has gotten better since I eliminated eggs and dairy from our diets, but his skin is still sensitive to environmental factors, and possibly other elements of his or my diet.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#10 of 36 Old 10-06-2009, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

see but the genetic thing doesn't make sense since no one else in the family has anything even remotely related. no allergies, no hayfever, i guess my mom had asthma as a child, but that is it!

which is why i'm sort of leaning towards something environmental, maybe it's that darn bio-kleen laundry detergent i had to try!

it is nice (or not so nice) to know that she's not the only unvaxed kiddo with these issues though. thanks so much for evveryones stories, it's interesting to see where we meet and where there are differences.

i had amalgams but they were removed after maybe five or six years? no signs of any toxicities in me or my other child or even her really, she's top of the charts for everything and hitting all milestones very early. i just don't know... off to research!

#11 of 36 Old 10-06-2009, 10:15 PM

This is my first post, though I've lurked for a long time I just wanted to say that my ds, who is completely unvaxed, has had eczema since he was born. He was breastfed for 2.5 years, eats an all organic diet, takes flax seed oil, CLO, etc. Nothing diet-wise seems to make any difference. If someone has a well-researched medical explanation for eczema and what to do about it (besides just treating the symptoms, which we do successfully if we keep at it, but it's exhausting), I'd love to hear about it, too!

Another thought for the OP, have you tried changing up baby's skin care products? It is possible for her to develop a sudden allergy to something you've used regularly.
#12 of 36 Old 10-08-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

sorry this took so long!

we did switch up fro california baby to little twig (i think) but that was several months ago and i've mixed them up in between times. i think it might be a reaction to the weather changes out here which are pretty extreme and maybe partly a result of a kerosene spill from our oil heater. we've moved out of that room and blocked it off now.

i'm not really sure...

#13 of 36 Old 10-09-2009, 06:20 PM

I would look into allergens (dairy, eggs and environmental).

Jenn
#14 of 36 Old 10-09-2009, 06:22 PM

I wasn't vaxed and developed eczema and asthma as a young child. Not that surprising though as there is a family history of it.
#15 of 36 Old 10-09-2009, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Three out of four of my girls have skin issues. The oldest has eczema that is NOT food related. Two of her triggers are stress and dog hair but she gets it at other times too. My 3 yo dd has a gluten intolerance and will develop patches around her mouth if she ingests it. She also reacts very badly to MSG. My youngest dd has several food intolerances, including gluten, corn, latex and latex cross-reactive (banana, avocado, etc...) foods, foods high in salicylic acid, etc... She gets rough spots all over her skin and if I ingest any of her bad foods, especially corn, she gets "butter-butt" where her skin is literally melting off her butt when she poops.

All of my children are 100% vax-free.
#16 of 36 Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 PM

My youngest son has had 0 vaccines and has had food-allergy eczema since he was a newborn. (no family history) And he was the kid I did everything right with. Great, healthy pregnancy, amazing non medicalized birth. Go figure.
#17 of 36 Old 10-09-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

boy, there seem to be quite a few mamas with unvaxed kids and skin issues. i wonder if it's something in our environment that is making this worse? i know there are higher numbers and i'd always just associated it with vaccines... but it seems like that's not the only cause.

especially those with no family history... it has to be something! anyone have interesting suggestions? links?

thanks again!

#18 of 36 Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
especially those with no family history... it has to be something! anyone have interesting suggestions? links?
Hop on over the the allergy forum. Many, many interesting threads there. Health is multi-generational. I think that even though I've never exhibited signs of eczema myself, I have many things going back 2-3 generations in my family which could explain a lot of my girls issues.
#19 of 36 Old 10-10-2009, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

that will be my next stop

we're actually pretty lucky in my family to have reproduced while young , except me at 27 i'm the oldest.

when both my kids was born we had five generations alive on my mom's side and four generations on my dad's side. when i was born i had all my grandparents and four great-grandparents alive, on my mom's side my great-grandparents lived until i was 25 and 32 respectively.

so, when i say no family history of skin issues or asthma, there really is no one alive that has those issues except my mom who had asthma as a child. my husband's family wasn't so extensive but again, no one had issues.

frankly, i'm leaning towards something environmental because it's what makes sense.

thanks for all your replies!

#20 of 36 Old 10-10-2009, 01:45 PM

funny my mother and sister have asthma as well... no eczema at all in the family, but lots of asthma.
#21 of 36 Old 10-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PlayaMama, I've seen my health issues manifest very differently in my kids. One thing that helped me (we're not dealing with eczema, we have food intolerances that manifest differently and other issues besides) was to list the health issues people in the family have, regardless of what age they developed them, and then to add in odd quirks that I know about in myself and in DH. Little things like the crazy-early stretch marks I got when pregnant with my first, and DH's keratosis pilaris, can help problem-solve. I started to see overlaps in potential causes--you may find a lot of possible causes, but when solutions to different problems start repeating, that's more worth looking into.

That said--the downhill slide of the environment, plus the decreasing quality of our food supply, combine to make it _hard_ to get enough nutrients to deal with the world and do all the work our bodies need to do each day.
#22 of 36 Old 10-10-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
so, when i say no family history of skin issues or asthma, there really is no one alive that has those issues except my mom who had asthma as a child. my husband's family wasn't so extensive but again, no one had issues.
Right, but eczema may just be one manifestation of an underlying issue. You may begin to see other manifestations of the underlying cause if you begin to dig a bit deeper. That is what I am seeing in my own family. Also, each generation would become progressively worse than the previous one if the issue is not corrected.

For example, I would never have assumed that I had any issue whatsoever with gluten, until my two youngest daughters exhibited signs of it through skin breakouts and because they were both nursing I had to come off of it myself. I've never had skin issues from eating gluten but several health issues I had been having, which were 'normal' for me, have begun clearing up since I quit eating it. I suspect that my parents both have issues with it as well.
#23 of 36 Old 10-11-2009, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

i'll be honest, i've always thought of us as pretty sturdy stock.

the only issues folks have had were blood pressure/ heart problems in grandparents and that, i think, was mostly diet, though my mom's dad ate a TON of homegrown or wild meat he did have pasteurized dairy and a triple bypass recently.

i guess what i'm saying is that there are no chronic conditions that plague anyone, no diabetes, no asthma, no skin issues, no mental issues like depression, no allergies, no cancer (knock on wood) we really only occasionally get seasonally sick. and this is WITH quite a bit of smoking and drinking.

all of my grandparents and great-grandparents lived to be at least 85 and more often into their 90's.

i dunno, i'm not saying that it's impossible that it is some health issue from previous generations but it just doesn't seem that likely given all the good health we've been able to enjoy.

#24 of 36 Old 10-11-2009, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
but several health issues I had been having, which were 'normal' for me, have begun clearing up since I quit eating it. I suspect that my parents both have issues with it as well.
actually, i know this is going off topic, but would you mind elaborating on this point? like, what is a normal issue that clears up? i'm thinking maybe skin issues? like, i break out sometimes but it really only clears up when i'm pregnant i've tried grain free for about a month and i noticed no difference, which makes me think its probably hormonal for me rather than diet based.

#25 of 36 Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
actually, i know this is going off topic, but would you mind elaborating on this point?
pm'ing you
#26 of 36 Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 PM

4 of my 6 kids have problems with eczema. Only one of them is unvaxed but his eczema ranks second in severity among my kids.

I had my 9 year old allergy tested and she wasn't allergic to any of the common eczema triggers. She is mostly vaxed. I think diet plays a large role at least for my kids. It always seems to flare up when I've been lazy and letting them eat more junk than usual. We also found borage oil helps quite a bit as well as keeping up with vitamins and DHA supplements.

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
#27 of 36 Old 10-12-2009, 01:09 PM

I only allowed my daughter's first round of vaxes at 2 months, no more ever again, and her eczema continued through her first birthday until we figured out all of her numerous food allergies. It was most severe around 5-6 months (all over her body).

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#28 of 36 Old 10-13-2009, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

okay, so i'm thinking diet would be something easy to play around with. i'm kind of a health food nut anyway and my dd eats like a horse. i think gluten-free would actually be fairly easy for us to try for a bit.

i need to get her (and all of us) back on the clo, we've kind of taken a break since summer but she takes it readily so i might as well.

how long did it take you all to notice a difference from diet changes?

#29 of 36 Old 10-13-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
Us too. Ours are unvaxed, breastfed until 2.5, mostly organic and all of that, and both boys have eczema. Frustrating!! I have found that our is seasonal, but I don't know why.
My eldest had seasonal eczema, too, though there might have been a food sensitivity playing a role (I thought soy). We did an elimination diet, you can google it--eliminate the highest potentially allergenic foods for 10 days to 2 weeks and then slowly introduce one food at a time back into the diet every couple of days, noting any changes in the child. (wheat, dairy, eggs, corn soy, nuts being usually the most allergenic) It is actually better to take all those foods out at once, it saves time having to do separate elimination diets for each one.

He outgrew it. I did have eczema as a child, and other skin issues ran in my side of the family. Luckily, his was fairly reasonable to treat and as long as he didn't scratch too often and I was faithful about moisturizing after every bath and at nighttime (went through about 10 different lotions and salves until I found one that worked for him), it was manageable. My ND had me give him a liver cleanse formula as she said that skin issues often show the need of the liver to detoxify.

I believe mine, as a child from what my mother told me, had a lot to do with over use of antibiotics and a milk allergy (which later caused a terrible case of acne for me for all of my teen years...I stopped drinking milk, and I used to drink A LOT, and the acne cleared up considerably, even after having several course of various acne medications. OT, a tad, but skin issues show up sometimes when there are other things at play, besides vaccines)

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#30 of 36 Old 10-17-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
that will be my next stop

we're actually pretty lucky in my family to have reproduced while young , except me at 27 i'm the oldest.

when both my kids was born we had five generations alive on my mom's side and four generations on my dad's side. when i was born i had all my grandparents and four great-grandparents alive, on my mom's side my great-grandparents lived until i was 25 and 32 respectively.
i am jealous!

dd gets red cheeks (and has keratosis pilaris), and i am not sure from what. i have KP and according to skin tests, some food allergies though only one has ever manifested itself in a clear, anaphylactic way. she only gets the redness SOMETIMES, so it's hard to pinpoint. i think she reacts to cinnamon, but only when it hits her topically. i am not sure. she has no weird poop, nothing other than the cheeks, at least visibly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page