A Few Questions about Hospital Birth and Non Vacing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-07-2009, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we will be delivering at a hospital and unfortunately our Family Dr. doesn't have hospital rights so we will for sure be seen by the peds and they wouldn't accept us as patients after DS was 6 months old b/c he was unvaccinated and I know they have given all vaccinations to babies who parents wanted to selective vaccinate and then said oh well its over now .. and we defintly do not want the baby to have the hepatits B vaccination (nor the eye ointment) so what exactly do I need to do besides vocalize this to insure they can not do itand just say oops b/c if they do it I plan to sue them and want to make that known (not that I am out for a lawsuit just hoping they will realize by me saying that I mean business .. is there something better to say??) .. Thanks in advance !!!

Brandi : CDing , NonVacing , NonCircing momma to JohnPaul and a March 2010 Miracle while loving my hippie man Chandler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You can make sure that someone, ie your husband is with the baby at all times. Ask questions anytime someone touches your baby. What are they doing and why. This is what I plan to do the next baby I have. I was a little too late wising up to vaxing when my first child was born. I am informed this time.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 18 Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 PM

Maybe write a letter stating what your wishes are, sign it, give it to them. Keep a copy for myself and make sure they were all aware of that too in case they consider losing the other. Perhaps even have them sign both proving that they received it.
#4 of 18 Old 10-08-2009, 01:13 AM

Usually they have a form that says that you understand the risks of vaxing, before they give it. Now, my friend transferred from a HB, and they vaxed her son anyway, and then wanted her to sign the form. I am not sure what she did, but I would be ****** if they thought I would sign the form after my wishes were disregarded as hers had been. Just make sure you keep saying it from the time you go in, once the baby is born, and anytime anyone comes near the baby who is a hospital person. Kymberli
#5 of 18 Old 10-08-2009, 02:31 AM

I agree with don't let baby out of sight of one of you. Also, on your birthplan put "NO Hep B Vaccination No antibiotic ointment" on the top of the list. I made a sign and put it in my son's bassinet by his name tag. I heard of one Mom who was looking to put NO vax on a onsie... you could write on a plain white onsie with a black sharpie pen. When you are first admitted the hospital usually has a consent for you to sign, you could add "I refuse consent to any vaccines/ eye ointments for my newborn" to the bottom of the form. You can also write "No vaccination/no eye ointment" on a stickie note and tell them to stick it to the front of your medical chart.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#6 of 18 Old 10-08-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

They "normally" take the child to the nursery for pediatricians to see them and they close the curtains .. I can refuse that can't I ... I have very strong feelings about this as my son was in the nursery for 11 hours and we were told he never woke up (at 1 day old) .. I had so much pain meds I didn't realize how long he was gone and DH was exhausted from being up with me 3+ days .. well needless to say when I walked down there at 8:30am to get him (after c-section) I got him back to room and less than 5 mins later he stopped breathing and I took him back and that Dam* nurse told me "Oh he's been doing that all night" wtf ?? you dont feel the need to call a dr. or tell the parents ... uggh .. also when he transferred we knew he had gotten 2shots and they woudln't send his records to let them know what he got ... I defintly want this babe with me all the time .. DS was taken for hearing test (wasn't done although he was gone 3hours) .. he was taken for circumsion (also wasn't done THANKFULLY .. but he was gone 2-3 hours that time as well) .. what were they doing with my son ... I think they realized something was wrong with him alot faster than they let us know (he had 4 hemorrages on his brain .. hydrocephalus and was having grand mal seizures) .. we will be delivering at a different hospital this time (he was also given formula repeatedly and I was never able to establish breastfeeding b/c when he was with me he was sleepy - probably combo of the epidural (i only got for the section) and the brain swelling ...

Brandi : CDing , NonVacing , NonCircing momma to JohnPaul and a March 2010 Miracle while loving my hippie man Chandler
#7 of 18 Old 10-12-2009, 11:56 PM

Wow that is crazy! FWIW, I delivered at a hospital but this one believed in "rooming in". So they didn't have a nursery. (They would take the baby upon request if the mother wanted them to for a few hours so she could get some sleep, but that's it.) I never will understand why a normal, healthy baby needs to be anywhere but within eyesight of his mother. The pedi came into my room both days we were there to check on the baby and I watched everything that she did.

Tell them that you believe in rooming in, and if something is wrong you want to know ASAP. You are paying the customer...so until the day comes that you don't have a choice of which hospital to choose from, they need to work hard at keeping you happy.

I second the "no vax" sign. Definately let your nurse know from the get go about that too.
#8 of 18 Old 10-13-2009, 02:17 PM

We were a HB transfer with my first in a very small town with very rigid rules and ideas about things contrary to our personal views and ideas!!! From the time we got there, we put our foot down. Told them everything we expected up front and we weren't joking. We made it clear that we are protected by law to have our wishes followed and we expected them to do as we requested. We said upon birth, no one was to touch the baby without my DH or I present and in agreement with the touching. All exams and checks of my baby were to be done on my bed. We were not utilizing the nursery and didn't even want a plastic box in out room (although, we still had the box there) We were not vaxing, no hearing exams, no testing, no circing, nothing. AT ALL!!!! They were very furious about it. Especially the ped who demanded our baby be in the nursery upon our arrival. My response was, "I pay your bill, you do as I say!" I am very lucky to have a DH who is an activist when it comes to all of this stuff and he was totally our best advocate when I was unable to be. He took that role and I am grateful for that. We have child protective services in our room that night for 2 hrs investigating us as unfit parents for declining "routine infant care" but we knew what our rights were/are, stood by them, and never wavered despite their threats of "oh, your baby could die if..." We declined a bath and our son was labeled a biohazard. Funny, seeing as I was not given the option to bathe! :*) My suggestion is to go through a very medicalized birth plan and worst case scenario of all that could be done and make your objection list from there. Know what you are against and why and how you are protected so they can't bully you! If I had to do it all over again, which I pray I never have to (hoping for successful homebirths!!!), I would do things exactly the same but decline a few other things like manual stretching of my vaginal wall, clamping the cord too soon, suctioning my baby, etc... But those are things that were not as important at the time that I look back on and add to my objection list!!!
#9 of 18 Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 PM

I had a specific written birth plan that included baby care and stated no vax. I also crossed a bunch off the consent forms they made me sign upon admission and wrote no injections to be given to the baby.

My DH went with the baby to the nursery. The nurses weren't happy to have him hovering but it worked for us, and they were very quick with him there.

I was very anxious about the baby care while pregnant but it ended up being no problem. They thought I was a little whacky, but noone gave me attitude about it. Just be clear, I don't think you need to threaten to sue up front.
#10 of 18 Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Learn the acronym EMTALA.
If you say that you do not want something done, say according to EMTALA, you are not allowed to inject my child with anything. If you do, I will be filing an EMTALA violation.

This is also helpful for moms wanting to VBAC.

EMTALA is a nice piece of legislation, IMHO. It wasn't "designed" for birth issues, but it fits in nicely.
#11 of 18 Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcCullen07 View Post
They "normally" take the child to the nursery for pediatricians to see them and they close the curtains .. I can refuse that can't I ... I have very strong feelings about this as my son was in the nursery for 11 hours and we were told he never woke up (at 1 day old) .. I had so much pain meds I didn't realize how long he was gone and DH was exhausted from being up with me 3+ days .. well needless to say when I walked down there at 8:30am to get him (after c-section) I got him back to room and less than 5 mins later he stopped breathing and I took him back and that Dam* nurse told me "Oh he's been doing that all night" wtf ?? you dont feel the need to call a dr. or tell the parents ... uggh .. also when he transferred we knew he had gotten 2shots and they woudln't send his records to let them know what he got ... I defintly want this babe with me all the time .. DS was taken for hearing test (wasn't done although he was gone 3hours) .. he was taken for circumsion (also wasn't done THANKFULLY .. but he was gone 2-3 hours that time as well) .. what were they doing with my son ... I think they realized something was wrong with him alot faster than they let us know (he had 4 hemorrages on his brain .. hydrocephalus and was having grand mal seizures) .. we will be delivering at a different hospital this time (he was also given formula repeatedly and I was never able to establish breastfeeding b/c when he was with me he was sleepy - probably combo of the epidural (i only got for the section) and the brain swelling ...
:

I notice you are in eastern nc. I just wanted to tell, if you are anywhere close, greenville, pitt county hospital, is very baby friendly. I traveled for 2 hours with my first son to deliver there. I had a nurse midwife. they had me hold him in my arms for his hearing test (because they could only do it if he was quiet and that's where he stayed the quietest) and he roomed in with me. check them out if you are anywhere close by. there are lactation consultants on duty and they will try to you if you are close enough and need help postpartum. that place was awesome.
#12 of 18 Old 10-21-2009, 07:34 PM

No hearing exam? I've never heard of not. Is there a specific reason you didn't do that?
#13 of 18 Old 10-21-2009, 10:59 PM

I've had two hospital births and had zero issues with no vax/no eye goop/no vit k (we did do the PKU & hearing test as they are mandated and seem pretty useful and fairly non-invasive/risk free IMO). That said, both times we were at very small hospitals (hosp ds2 was born at the mat ward has 7 beds...) which were/are used to the amish/mennonites, so used to natural birth/no vax/etc. We just verbally declined them, and I made sure that they were with me the whole time and when they weren't that either I or DH or MIL or someone went with them. GL!!
#14 of 18 Old 10-21-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
You can make sure that someone, ie your husband is with the baby at all times. Ask questions anytime someone touches your baby. What are they doing and why. This is what I plan to do the next baby I have. I was a little too late wising up to vaxing when my first child was born. I am informed this time.
That exactly what we did. We also had a paper with us that said "We do NOT consent to any vaccinations or injections". Make sure there is always someone there who supports you and says "NO!". (They actually took DP aside to tell him how I was putting our child at risk, possibly for death, by not vaccinating her. He told them it was my choice and I said no so he says no.) When they did their heal pricks (let's just not even go there) DP went with her. Of course, they objected but that was the only way they were going to get anything done. I didn't trust them. At all.

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#15 of 18 Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkerz053 View Post
No hearing exam? I've never heard of not. Is there a specific reason you didn't do that?
I didn't want it done bc I felt it was unneeded and it was being done by someone I didn't know. She also did them at 2am. Seriously. And since I couldn't trust my baby with them, I had to go with her. I objected and objected but I finally gave in bc I was tired of fighting them on everything.

A month later I got a bill for $380. Insurance didn't cover the test. And I'm not paying the bill.

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#16 of 18 Old 10-22-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcCullen07 View Post
They "normally" take the child to the nursery for pediatricians to see them and they close the curtains .. I can refuse that can't I ...
Yes you can refuse it. We had to really fight and argue to keep our DD with us at all times but either DH or I were there with her at all times to make sure she wasn't given vaccinations or anything else we didn't want her to have. They tried to insist that a test they wanted to do (I forget which one it was...I think a test for jaundice maybe?) could only be done outside our room and we couldn't come with them, but DH said "She's not leaving my sight, so either you don't do the test or I'll be there watching." After a few minutes back and forth finally they let DH go along and I am so glad to know that they didn't do anything behind our backs. CPS came by for about an hour to talk with us because they were concerned about us declining so many things, but I got a glimpse of the charts the nurses had with them and every time they'd marked that we were taking care of DD, holding her, changing her diapers, and just overall being good parents (there was a chart with a 1-5 scale for different things and everything I saw had us at 4 or 5) so they really didn't have anything to use against us, and I had good logical reasons to decline vaccinations, etc.

There's no reason the pediatricians can't see your child while he/she is in your arms or right in front of you. It may not be convenient for them, but the pediatrician can come to your room if they want to see your child.
#17 of 18 Old 10-23-2009, 01:42 PM

I agree with the above, having a birth plan, keeping the baby with you. And discuss it in advance with your midwife/ob and make sure they are on board with you. The hospital ped almost called CPS on me when I had my last one last year...not b/c of refusing the vax or eyedrops (and the eyedrops are actually required by MI law - you're supposed to sign a waiver if you refuse, and they never even asked me to sign it, LOL)

But what the dr. was mad about was me not getting the antibiotics for GBS. He came into my room, within a half hour of me giving birth and was yelling "I don't understand why you're willing to let your baby die"..lol. geez. So we really had to stand our ground, and we were fortunate enough to have good nurses that talked to him and talked him out of calling CPS. But I had done a bunch of research on 4th amendment rights and had no worries if CPS showed up. I would have made them leave since they didn't have a warrant. But thankfully that didn't happen.

But be prepared. Have a birth plan, clear it with your dr, and keep your baby with you no matter what. You are the parent. The state and doctor are not responsible for your baby. You are. Good luck!

Sally
#18 of 18 Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 PM

You can have the natural hospital birth you want. Talk to your HCP, have your birth plan (several copies) handy, and don't let your loved one leave the room. Be firm, but polite since nurses are *usually* just doing protocol/procedure (both of which should be totally bendable). We baked cookies a head of time and gave them to the nurses. I like to think that was part of the reason that they were very accommodating to us . You know the old saying...you'll catch more flies with honey....

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page