Weird Question on Food Stamps/Medicaid Re-Evaluation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-18-2009, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a form in the mail today to fill out for our renewal for these two programs. One question was on there that hasn't been asked before: Have your children received any immunizations since the last date of your application or renewal?

Why would they ask this? Our girls are "up to date" because we decided to stop vaxing after the 2-year old shots, and they aren't old enough to need new ones, but my son isn't vaccinated at all. We have a religious exemption form for our state (Virginia) that we plan on getting notarized this week, even though we don't plan on sending our kids to public school (we're homeschooling). I thought it would be a good thing to have just in case.

Any ideas why they ask this information and what are they going to do about it?
#2 of 23 Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
that is odd - I just got our paperwork to recertify in TX and it's not asked here.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#3 of 23 Old 10-19-2009, 01:03 AM

I just got our paper to receritfy in NC and they didn't ask me either .. although they did drop my medicaid b/c they said i didn't turn in my bank statement (i dont have one) .. i honestly think there trying to drop alot of ppl ... it sucks b/c i am 5 months preggo so no more prenatal care for me ...

Brandi : CDing , NonVacing , NonCircing momma to JohnPaul and a March 2010 Miracle while loving my hippie man Chandler
#4 of 23 Old 10-19-2009, 10:41 PM

I just had my re-evaluation for food stamps and health insurance. I was asked that same question, and even though they pressed for more information, as soon as I claimed a "religious" stance on the issue, magically their comments and all stopped. I could tell they were upset with me, but at least it was no big deal. It's against the law (in Ohio anyways) for them to ask me what my religion is .... so they just dropped it.

Good luck momma! I am sure it will be fine though

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#5 of 23 Old 10-20-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcCullen07 View Post
I just got our paper to receritfy in NC and they didn't ask me either .. although they did drop my medicaid b/c they said i didn't turn in my bank statement (i dont have one) .. i honestly think there trying to drop alot of ppl ... it sucks b/c i am 5 months preggo so no more prenatal care for me ...
Can you join a bank just to have a statement?

Otherwise I would appeal and submit a notarized statement that I do not have a bank account, therefore I do not have a bank statement.

If you want info on doing your own pre-natal care, the UC forum would have information on that.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#6 of 23 Old 10-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Can you join a bank just to have a statement?
That was my initial thought as well. Throw $5 in an account and have them print out a statement.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#7 of 23 Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I was going to say, in our state we have religious exemption. There is a form that you can fill out and have notarized to give to public school, which DH and I were planning on doing anyway because we are working on our religious exemption letter for homeschooling as well. I just didn't answer that question, and if someone calls and asks about it I will just say that we are religiously opposed. I hope I don't open up a can of worms, but in the case of Medicaid, we have it as secondary insurance (to pay whatever our health insurance doesn't) so it's not a big huge deal to me if the kids lose theirs, I just have mine to cover my homebirth.
#8 of 23 Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 PM

We're going in tomorrow to apply for food stamps. I really didn't think they would ask about vaccines, as it has nothing to do with food stamps. In fact, that's my main reason for not applying for wic. DD is only 12 months old so I haven't gotten anything notarized, although I do plan to use the religious exemption.

Should I get it notarized before even going tomorrow?

One more question: Since I'm pregnant, will food stamps consider us a family of 3 or 4? I don't technically have a "proof of pregnancy" yet and I won't until December. Any thoughts?

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#9 of 23 Old 10-22-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caro113 View Post
We're going in tomorrow to apply for food stamps. I really didn't think they would ask about vaccines, as it has nothing to do with food stamps. In fact, that's my main reason for not applying for wic. DD is only 12 months old so I haven't gotten anything notarized, although I do plan to use the religious exemption.
Go ahead and apply for WIC:

WIC Eligibility & Vax
"Immunization records and/or an infant/child’s immunization status are in no way tied to the receipt of WIC benefits. "

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#10 of 23 Old 10-22-2009, 01:48 PM

hmm, no advice from me, but we got our semi annual contact report for the same services, and there was no mention of vaccinations... maybe I can expect something in the mail about it tho

signcirc1.gif*Autonomy - Not Forced Genital Cutting* fly-by-nursing1.gifsewmachine.gif

#11 of 23 Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 PM

No one needs anything notorized for non vaccinating for mediciad/food stamps. Trust me. I have been on both programs for years. Do not let them scare you.
As for the question in the OP, just put "no"
If anyone asks you if your children are up to date on vaccines, you say "yes" end of story
The only time you need a relig exemption for anything is entering schools.

DS 5-11-06
#12 of 23 Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
No one needs anything notorized for non vaccinating for mediciad/food stamps. Trust me. I have been on both programs for years. Do not let them scare you.
As for the question in the OP, just put "no"
If anyone asks you if your children are up to date on vaccines, you say "yes" end of story
The only time you need a relig exemption for anything is entering schools.
True, but having an "exemption" can

• work as a place holder where the record would be, so the process isn't put on hold because someone is "missing" a record
  • stifle questions because people often don't want to "touch" religion
I haven't been on these programs, but I've heard from a few that submitting a religious "exemption" just made things easier.

#13 of 23 Old 10-22-2009, 07:13 PM

I wanted to second the poster who said that you can WIC even if you don't vax your kids. DD and I were on WIC when she was a baby, and when they asked me for her vax records I told them we weren't vaxing, end of story, and no weird looks either. I don't get WIC now because I don't want to eat the terrible food they give you. All foods that are sold by big food corporations, who pay a lot of money to the government to be part of WIC, including Nestle.

Also, DD and I do get Medicade and Foodstamps, and have never had a problem because she isn't being vaxed.

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

#14 of 23 Old 10-22-2009, 08:14 PM

I just want to warn everybody to carefully read everything when signing up for government assistance. We were signing up for a program to receive help for DH finding a job (help with building a resume and free gas cards, etc), and in part of the small print on one of the sheets it said "I agree to keep all my children up to date in their vaccinations." They were trying to rush us through the paperwork and I almost didn't catch that, but I saw it right as my husband was about to sign and I stopped him. Now I'm slightly paranoid about all the stuff we signed when applying for Food Stamps and WIC because I tried to read it but they rush you so much and I know I didn't catch every word... Thankfully we'll be off those programs soon and it shouldn't matter.
#15 of 23 Old 10-22-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacie87 View Post
I just want to warn everybody to carefully read everything when signing up for government assistance. We were signing up for a program to receive help for DH finding a job (help with building a resume and free gas cards, etc), and in part of the small print on one of the sheets it said "I agree to keep all my children up to date in their vaccinations."
Wow. Do you think you could find a copy of that?

#16 of 23 Old 10-24-2009, 06:26 PM

Yeah, my other reason for not wanting WIC is because we don't eat those foods. The only thing that is semi useful that we would get would be juice and cereal. It bothers me that they specifically say "no organics" in their paperwork. It just upsets me because I know organics are healthier. Of course, with food stamps, we can buy anything we want, so that's a help.

But the WIC office here is horrible. I called them originally when I was pregnant and the later said I needed proof of all household income. When I asked her if that included everyone, even people who are not related to me and have no responsibilities when it comes to taking care of me, she was very rude in saying "all household income. that's what I said" And she wouldn't give me an appointment for almost two months. Very rude. We ended up moving to another county so I went to that county's WIC office where they were pretty nice to me. But they did hand out lots of stuff on vaccines. My main concern is that they will try to push it and then try to call CPS just to piss me off. I know that sounds paranoid, but it does worry me.

We did go to the food stamps office and the lady was pretty nice to us. Nothing came up about vaccines, so that was nice.

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#17 of 23 Old 10-26-2009, 03:53 PM

You definetly don't have to vax to be on medicaid/wic/foodstamps... we're on all three and have been on medicaid/wic for 2.5+ years, though we just got on foodstamps (and I'm planning on going off wic, since we get more than enough $ in foodstamps...). I just tell them 'we don't vax' whenever it comes up. And in place of the vax record (which wic suggests you bring for proof of age for kids), you can bring birth certificate, or just about anything else with your DC's name/dob on it.
#18 of 23 Old 10-26-2009, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your info/advice. I think I will have my religious exemption forms done just in case, just to shut anyone up that has issue with it. I thought it was an odd question to be asked; personally I hate questions like that (or any that are medically related) because frankly I don't feel that's anyone's business. It doesn't make me or my kids any less of worth just because we have made an informed choice not to do something.

DITTO some of the PP's on the WIC issue. The offices are always nasty...bloody cotton balls are left in the floor from where they do the iron checks, and the staff is rude! I told DH I'm not even bothering to apply because we can't get organic stuff and it's just not worth the trouble.

I'm in an irritable mood today...sorry! I'm all stressed out about my homebirth (worried I'll have to transfer and I HATE hospitals), then the whole H1N1 hype is soooo out of hand around here I can't stand it!
#19 of 23 Old 10-27-2009, 02:49 PM

that fine print mentioned above about agreeing to keep your kids up to date is just wrong (and probably not legal). if you are in compliance with TX state health law (religious or philosophical exemptions!) state or feds cannot deny you anything.
#20 of 23 Old 10-28-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah...I would say that requiring someone to be "up-to-date" on vaccines is wrong, especially in a state where there are exemptions available. The question was have my kids gotten any vaccines since I first applied...the answer would be no. First, my older two aren't "due" for any vaccines (they were fully vax'd before I learned all this stuff, but they are old enough to start school next year so they would "need" some then, but not right now)...and my youngest is 18 months and hasn't had any. I guess technically he should have had some in the time frame since he's been on Medicaid, but...we're not vaccinating. I do have my religious exemption form (provided by the state...meant for children entering school) signed and notarized, so it's sitting here waiting in case something come up. The dumb thing is that this question is in a list of other questions, and you are required to explain any "Yes" answers. So...had I vaccinated my kids I would need to explain that, but I can say no and it doesn't need to be explained? Confusing! I'll update and let you all know how it turns out; I turn in my paperwork next week. In the meantime, DH is up for a job interview...at a hospital...but if he gets this job most likely we won't need Medicaid/Food Stamps anymore anyway.
#21 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Hi, I just wanted to state that I have been getting WIC support for my child of 14 months old and was never asked to complete her vacination. I have not vaccinated her.
We are living in Connecticut and I will also try applying for food stamps. It is good to know usually there is no problem with vaccination.
I will ask this question in a new thread, but does anybody apply for child care support for non-vax children? Here in CT we have something called Care 4 Kids, but they do state on their form that they want the children up to date on vaccinations. I wonder if religious exemption may apply for them too.
I really would like to get into contact with anti-vax parents livig in CT.
Thanks, Marin
#22 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 11:12 PM

jic someone doesn't read the other thread...don't ask, just submit the exemption in lieu of a vax record. It is the job of State services to promote vaccination.

#23 of 23 Old 12-12-2009, 02:01 PM

Yes, I've noticed they start asking that.

I just say "yes" even though mine are most definitely not up-to-date! They don't ask further details and they don't check with a doctor or anything.

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page