Anyone else have an unvaccinated child with life-threatening food allergies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-22-2009, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel that vaxes may cause some food allergies but in the case of my DS (29 months) he is 100% unvaxed and still has severe peanut and sesame allergies as well as gluten-intolerance.

Anyone else have an unvaxed child with severe food allergies?

I am wondering if anyone has and if they think that maybe having an unvaxed child might increase their chances of outgrowing a food allergy?

Just curious. All of the allergy boards I visit have mostly pro-vax parents who are all vaxing their kids and I notice that many of their stories show their kids getting more allergies and having reactions after vaxes. So I was just thinking that maybe by not vaxing our DS we are giving him a better chance since we won't keep taxing his immune system?

Maybe? Probably just wishful thinking.

Wife to DHguitar.gif, Mama to DS1 luxlove.gifribbonjigsaw.gif (06/2007) and DS2 baby.gif (06/2013), missing babies (mc 08/2006 @ 5 weeks) and (missed mc 06/2012 @ 11 weeks)

#2 of 12 Old 11-22-2009, 11:33 PM

My oldest is allergic to wheat, dairy, eggs and more but not life-threatening; enough so that it severely affected her health before we realized what was going on and made diet changes. Similarly my youngest, entirely breast-fed baby reacted to dairy and eggs if I ate them, so there is something going on there, as well. Both girls are completely vax-free.

I have a few theory's as to why their health isn't all that perfect. It turns out I have the same allergies and never knew it. My health was never great growing up but my mom wasn't one to dig deeper and figure out what underlying issue may be there. We were fed milk with every meal, eggs 4-5 times a week and bread was a staple in our daily diets. I'm sure this has something to do with both girls allergies, or at least DD#1. DD#2 isn't nearly as bad and we know she tolerates gluten just fine now.

My mom has a mouth full of amalgam fillings. DD#1 was tested and came back high for mercury with no other reason for this. I've read that tests have been done on whales that show how your first born can get the majority of your toxins dumped into their system. So this is another theory of mine as to why the allergies could exist.

I do hope they will grow out of the allergies. I make myself crazy with all the questions I have but ultimately I believe there are so many environmental reasons that could contribute as well as family history of issues so it's too difficult to say exactly why they might have allergies to begin with. I truly believe vaccines would just add more fuel to the fire, and that's not something I will do. If I can control the toxins entering their bodies, I will. For what I can't control, well, it's out of my hands.

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#3 of 12 Old 11-23-2009, 12:22 AM

DD is not vaxed and she is allergic to peanut, tree nuts, soy, and egg. Outgrew dairy allergy. She's also on the autism spectrum. I don't know that vaxing would have made it worse, but I don't especially feel that not vaxing will increase her chances of outgrowing anything.

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
#4 of 12 Old 11-23-2009, 06:59 PM

A couple people in the Allergies forum do.

Our allergies aren't life-threatening, they're actually intolerances (non-IgE, I mean). My son's immune system wasn't great to start with, we are having health/behavior issues due to the mercury in my amalgam fillings, and so messing with his immune system, after I can already see that his immune system wasn't normal, well, I don't think anything good would've happened.

But I think your best bet is to figure out _why_ your child has life-threatening allergies. Not everyone does, so something's different with your child, and figuring that out and working on it seems like the best bet. We've had some interesting discussions in the Allergies forum in the past few months.
#5 of 12 Old 11-23-2009, 07:14 PM

My son is not vaxed because I knew that he would have a ton of allergies since I have a serious peanut allergy besides other allergies.

So, low and behold he has a ton of allergies and asthma, probably double from what I had as a kid. I don't know of any that are severe, but I have not given him any food that is typical of severe allergies, like legumes, nuts, eggs, etc.
I do keep Benadryl and an Epi-pen in his diaper bag though.

I firmly believe that if he was vaccinated he would be extremely sick, autistic or dead.

I have outgrown half of my allergies except for my peanut allergy. So, I am keeping my fingers crossed that my son outgrows at least half of his allergies too.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#6 of 12 Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmommy View Post
I am wondering if anyone has and if they think that maybe having an unvaxed child might increase their chances of outgrowing a food allergy?
My fully vax'd dd outgrew her allergies. Some people just outgrow them and others do not. Vaxing has nothing to do with it.

(And before anyone says that vaxing her caused the allergies, there is very much a genetic component to this! Both sides of the family are a mess with allergies in pollen and chemicals. It isn't a surprise that we have to deal with allergies.)

Mama of three.

#7 of 12 Old 11-23-2009, 09:57 PM

I'm sorry momma. I did a google search and came up w/ 50/50 on if vaccines contribute to allergies or not.
I think there are just other things you need to factor in-diet one of them. Breastfed or ff? Allergies in the family.
In my opinion- if you know your child has allergies or if they are high in the family, giving a vaccine that carries an allergy ingrediant would not be good, since it could be a trigger to make it worse. My ds has some intolerances, but so do I. He also wasn't showing them until he had his 2nd round of vax, so...I wish I'd have had him tested prior to the vaccines he did recieve.
I don't know if they outgrow them. Allergy board would prob have more answers than vax board.
#8 of 12 Old 11-24-2009, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I do not know why my DS has these allergies. I have asthma but other than that allergies do not run in our families very much. My DH's brother was allergic to milk as a baby but outgrew it very quickly (and there were 7 kids in that family and none of of the others OR any of their children have had any food allergies).

But my DS has two of the least outgrown allergies. Makes me sad. I thought we did everything right. Natural birth. No vaxes. Exclusive Bfing. Delayed solids (and then my DS delayed some more by refusing them until he was over a year old).

He did have antobiotics when he was 3.5 months old for a UTI. So maybe that was it.

He just seems to be the unlucky one in the family. He had a tongue tie at birth and we had 6 months of terrible BFing problems (still he never got one drop of formula). He also has a wicked speech delay. Weak enamel on his teeth (5 cavities so far!). Asthma. And he has always been very high need.

Wife to DHguitar.gif, Mama to DS1 luxlove.gifribbonjigsaw.gif (06/2007) and DS2 baby.gif (06/2013), missing babies (mc 08/2006 @ 5 weeks) and (missed mc 06/2012 @ 11 weeks)

#9 of 12 Old 11-24-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmommy View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I do not know why my DS has these allergies. I have asthma but other than that allergies do not run in our families very much. My DH's brother was allergic to milk as a baby but outgrew it very quickly (and there were 7 kids in that family and none of of the others OR any of their children have had any food allergies).

You may want to read Kenneth Bock's book Healing the new Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies

Bock links these as different manifestations of similar underlying causes, including things like toxic load, gut health and inflammation. My kids' food intolerances and other issues are related to toxic load from me (and partly me from my mom, this goes back quite a way in my family), so his book really spoke to me. My two kids manifest our issues very, very differently.

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-New-Ch...9035442&sr=8-1

But my DS has two of the least outgrown allergies. Makes me sad. I thought we did everything right. Natural birth. No vaxes. Exclusive Bfing. Delayed solids (and then my DS delayed some more by refusing them until he was over a year old).

It's not just the decisions we make, there are factors at work beyond our control. Although I think there are often things we can do, for me there have been far far more than I would've ever considered a few years ago, we really don't have absolute control.

He did have antobiotics when he was 3.5 months old for a UTI. So maybe that was it.

He just seems to be the unlucky one in the family. He had a tongue tie at birth and we had 6 months of terrible BFing problems (still he never got one drop of formula). He also has a wicked speech delay. Weak enamel on his teeth (5 cavities so far!). Asthma. And he has always been very high need. I think some on my DH's side of the family think I am doing something wrong. At least it is starting to be implied since everyone else in the family is "perfect".
Tongue ties can be related to nutritional issues, I've read of them due to being low on folate (related to detoxification, among other things) and vitamin A. Really, you may want to visit the Allergies forum, we've had interesting discussions on _why_ our kids have allergies (lots of different answers, it's not all amalgams, and it's not all detoxification issues, although detoxification extends beyond just heavy metals). I'm really not a blame-the-mom type, especially given our issues, but looking at my health, combined with the kids, and throwing in DH's genes, a LOT more makes sense now. It's not my fault, but in terms of dealing with the cards we're dealt, assuming my health and the kids' symptoms are related, and then trying to figure out how, has been enormously helpful.
#10 of 12 Old 11-24-2009, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I have seen the Bock book recommended before. I definitely need to read it. I know I need to figure this out since we'd like to have another child at some point (waiting until some of these stressful issues with DS can be somewhat sorted out - ie get him talking better, get him sleeping better, get a handle on the allergies). I don't want another baby to have all these issues. I was such a healthy kid. And all my recent tests say healthy too. No vitamin deficiencies. I don't mean to blame myself but I DO feel like it's something I did wrong, either in pregnancy or after. Because everyone else I know has such healthy kids. My brother just had a daughter and she is perfect too.

#11 of 12 Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 PM

This is relevant to the topic of allergies and might be of interest.

Manufacturer Warns About 172,000 Doses Of Swine Flu Vaccine In Canada

"Pharmaceuticals company GlaxoSmithKline PLC said Tuesday it has advised medical staff in Canada to not use one batch of swine flu vaccines in case they trigger life-threatening allergies.

White said the batch at issue, which has been distributed across Canada, contains 172,000 doses of the vaccine. She declined to say how many doses had been administered before the advice to stop using them was given.

White said U.K.-based GlaxoSmithKline wrote to Canadian health care professionals advising them to stop using the batch on Nov. 18. She says a total of 7.5 million doses of the vaccine have been distributed in Canada."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=120741275

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#12 of 12 Old 11-24-2009, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This topic has me thinking about epigenetics....I think there is a huge link here

http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/News/9322

Quote:
We can no longer argue whether genes or environment has a greater impact on our health and development, because both are inextricably linked," said Randy Jirtle, Ph.D., a genetics researcher in Duke's Department of Radiation Oncology and initiator of the upcoming epigenetics conference

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page