rethinking vaccinations for now - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-25-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we are selective/alternate vacc family. But not I may be rethinking my decision. We started Isaiah at 6 months with only 1 shot. He so far has only had two shots (6 month and 8 month) But after each shot he got sick (as in cold,cough, slight fever) for about 2 weeks and was miserable and didn't sleep well. After researching, I am torn about continuing on until I finish this one vacc or stopping now and not vaccing....

Have any of you stopped in the middle of vaccing? Any issues with that???

Me-Brenda (wife as of 10/9/2005 and SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah 3/2009, DS-Micah 5/2011. We are a BF, Baby wearing, non-vacc, future homeschooling, homebirthing , traditional, family. The center of our home is Christ .

#2 of 9 Old 11-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Yes, we stopped in the middle. Emma (my 6 year old) had hep b at birth and the first 2 sets of shots (slightly delayed because of nervousness over the procedure.)

She had a neurological reaction to her second set which included mild fever, extreme aggitation, head banging, clawing and brief seizure episodes. This lasted for several weeks. Her pediatrician said nothing was wrong; the seizures were actually her "playing with us," (she was 5 months old) and we should continue vaccinating on schedule.

We haven't done vaccines since. Discontinuing a set of shots only (theoretically) provides less immunity. The only thing I think it can do is save the child from further assault to his/her system.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#3 of 9 Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM

Two of my kids have stopped mid-schedule. We quit vaccinating when my older DD was 3 and my younger DD was 12 months. They have had no issues at all. My older DD is finally not sick all the time which is lovely. I remember her first winter and she was sick for the entire thing. Month after month of endless colds, ear infections, etc. The ped stressed that we needed to keep vaccinating even though she was sick to "protect her." IMO, it only made her worse.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 9 Old 11-25-2009, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Think about this logically...

What could possible happen by NOT vaccinating anymore???

Your child may one day come down with a VPD which you will most likely treat appropriately and he would be just fine...and just keep in mind that even if you fully vaccinated him, he may one day come down with a VPD.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 9 Old 11-25-2009, 10:46 PM

Well, you stopped (I presume) and you're still here.

Your child will not self destruct if you do not finish the vax schedule.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#6 of 9 Old 11-25-2009, 11:33 PM

I stopped with my 4th after his 4 month shots. He started having head drops (lost head control) which the doctor thought was seizures. I have only had 2 doctors that admitted it could be the vaccines, the rest wanted to keep vaxing him. One doctor said he shouldn't have any pertussis vaccine since that was the one, he believed, could have caused it. He had comvax (hep B, hib), prevnar, ipv, dtap all at that visit so I don't know how we could possibly know which one he was reacting to. I refused to do anymore and he is now 8 years old. I also did not give my older 3 (who were fully vaxed for their age...varicella and all!) anymore shots after that. They are fine. My 5th child has not had any. Sometimes I worry about him not being vaccinated, but I just have this bad feeling when I think about vaxing again. I continue to research (just ordered Neil ******'s new updated book), and pray alot about this. It is so hard being a parent and wanting to do the best thing for your children, but nothing is guaranteed in this life and we cannot know the future. I hope you find peace in your decision!! )
#7 of 9 Old 12-02-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Well, you stopped (I presume) and you're still here.

Your child will not self destruct if you do not finish the vax schedule.
Good point. LOL...I didn't stop yet but thinking on it. His next shot is scheduled for January. I am desperatly trying to get in with the alt/non vax friendly doc in my area but she is not taking any new patients right now.

Me-Brenda (wife as of 10/9/2005 and SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah 3/2009, DS-Micah 5/2011. We are a BF, Baby wearing, non-vacc, future homeschooling, homebirthing , traditional, family. The center of our home is Christ .

#8 of 9 Old 12-02-2009, 03:57 PM

What about finding a family practitioner? I realized with my dd that I didn't need to go to WBV... they were mostly to give kids vaxes, and since we weren't doing those, there was no need to go and no need to feel pressured to vaccinate. If something goes wrong with dd that we can't handle at home, then we will go in. But, I didn't think we needed to keep going to the pedi to hear the vaccine lecture and expose dd to germs, just to get her weighed and measured.
#9 of 9 Old 12-10-2009, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post
What about finding a family practitioner? I realized with my dd that I didn't need to go to WBV... they were mostly to give kids vaxes, and since we weren't doing those, there was no need to go and no need to feel pressured to vaccinate. If something goes wrong with dd that we can't handle at home, then we will go in. But, I didn't think we needed to keep going to the pedi to hear the vaccine lecture and expose dd to germs, just to get her weighed and measured.

Good point. I need to find a new family prac for myself so maybe I can use that as an excuse to find one that will see the whole family and just switch docs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page