finding chicken pox - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know how I might find chicken pox? I'm in Maryland, US.
#2 of 7 Old 12-08-2009, 10:37 AM

there is a yahoo group for my area that never gets any traffic. However, I did find a case on the find your tribe area of this board and I exposed my kids, however, stupid good immune system, they didn't get it. I just check here all the time, in the FYT board, put out feelers on many of the baby websites, and ask around. Their first exposure was in August. I was going to expose them again in September but they would have broken out just as we were flying, so that didn't work. I've been looking again ever since.
#3 of 7 Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Had to comment- "stupid immune system"
I didn't think to look for a local group for cp. I'll do that, thanks for mentioning it.
#4 of 7 Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 AM

My co-worker has shingles. How weird would it be to bring my kids in to meet me for lunch today? I really really really want them to get it. It seems like so many people are getting shingles these days, yet I can't ask any of them to infect my kids. Sigh.
#5 of 7 Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 AM

Around here it really only circulates spring and summer.

-Angela
#6 of 7 Old 12-12-2009, 02:05 PM

Hey I had Shingles twice! (And I'm only 26 years old, had chicken pox as a kid, and the doctors were soooo confused. Then they explained to me that as children are being vaccinated for varicella, chicken pox isn't widely in circulation anymore and you need minor exposures to it throughout life to keep the virus dormant, otherwise it flares into shingles under stressful and low-immune system periods. Growl.

However, my youngest daughter was not vaccinated for Varicella and she did not get chicken pox from my Shingles, and we were in very close contact as she was just 9 months old when I got them the first time. So I don't think it's likely that your kids will get chicken pox from your Shingley coworker.

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#7 of 7 Old 12-14-2009, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I sent out e-mails to anyone that thought might be possibly be open to the idea of sharing pox with us. I just wrote that I was looking for it, if anyone could please contact me if they heard of children with CP. About 2 months later we found it! I got a lot of positive responses on the email, people that wanted it as well, we had so many playmates over during that week.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page