Religious exemption / Catholic school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My children attend / will attend a private Catholic school. My older two are vaccinated, but my youngest dd will most likely not be vaccinated (I'm still reading.... and reading, and reading, and reading.... ). I know that I can sign a religious exemption in IN at a public school, but if we are planning to join the Catholic church (that this school is affiliated with) will this exemption still work? Someone said that I should be able to cite some Bible passages still that I could interpret as saying that vaccines are against God's wishes, but I would like to know for sure what I'm up against.

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMom23 View Post
My children attend / will attend a private Catholic school. My older two are vaccinated, but my youngest dd will most likely not be vaccinated (I'm still reading.... and reading, and reading, and reading.... ). I know that I can sign a religious exemption in IN at a public school, but if we are planning to join the Catholic church (that this school is affiliated with) will this exemption still work? Someone said that I should be able to cite some Bible passages still that I could interpret as saying that vaccines are against God's wishes, but I would like to know for sure what I'm up against.

It depends on your state; NJ, for example, allows religious schools to reject religious exemptions. In other states the law applies to ALL schools, without exception. The Catholic Church is officially "for" vaccination, but some parishes allow exemptions based on your particular interpretation.

You should also check your tribe for others in your area that may have submitted exemptions to Catholic schools.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 01-11-2010, 05:00 PM

If the school accepts federal money they must accept the exemption but if the school does not they can accept it or not it is their choice.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 01-12-2010, 06:17 PM

Let me know what you find out. I have a Catholic K as a second choice for K. I am worried about the exemption. I live in KY.
Philia
Old 01-16-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
If the school accepts federal money they must accept the exemption but if the school does not they can accept it or not it is their choice.
This. My daughter also attends a private Catholic school here in MI. When I called to ask about waivers and if they accepted them (fishing, wanted to see what the principal had to say), her response was, "Um. We kind of have to." No other questions asked. I provided them with MI's waiver form and here we are half a year later.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:02 PM

I have thought of calling but then I am scared to call any attention to it. I wonder if I might be the only person who has ever tried it.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:49 PM

I just went through this process here in NY. The Catholic school had never dealt with someone who wasn't immunized before. I wrote a letter to the diocese explaining my religious beliefs re: vaccinations. It took a month but eventually I was approved. Good luck!

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 PM

Here is an article I found online about the Biblical view agains vaccinations. Hope this helps!

C:\Users\Katie\Desktop\Vaccinations\The Biblical Case Against Vaccines.mht

I homeschool so I haven't had to submit an exemption form yet.

Katie
Old 01-20-2010, 11:04 PM

Letter From Rome in Defense of Parental Rights on Vaccines

http://www.cogforlife.org/barreiro.htm

Quote:
Quote:
...expelled from a Catholic educational institution for reasons of non-conformity to a diocesan policy of denying State-allowed religious exemptions... This is a violation of the Catholic Church’s centuries-old teaching on the supremacy of the Moral Conscience and the right of parents to preside over the total wellbeing of their children.

Pending a final judgment on this issue the parental right of conscience is to be considered the binding authority in this matter and the child should not be penalized for non-conformity to a policy which is not defined as Church doctrine or practice.
I don't think a "final judgment" has been issued yet.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 02-08-2010, 04:51 PM

I have the best expemtion against vaccinating if you are sending your kids to a Catholic school. Just look at the ingredients in the MMR vaccine. One of the ingredients is aborted fetal tissue. If more Catholics knew that I am sure many more would opt out of it.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmara View Post
I have the best expemtion against vaccinating if you are sending your kids to a Catholic school. Just look at the ingredients in the MMR vaccine. One of the ingredients is aborted fetal tissue. If more Catholics knew that I am sure many more would opt out of it.
That is fairly well known. But the Church has said that we are sufficiently removed from the sin of those abortions (cell lines developed from 2 aborted fetuses in the 70s) to be complicit in it, and that the benefit of vaccination is too great to not use them. This would not be a helpful argument for most vaccines.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:06 PM

Raene,
Can you tell me what steps you took to approach your diocese? I am getting ready to do this with our Catholic school, and I'm pretty sure this will have to be my next step also.
Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 PM

Raene, I was wondering what type of letter you had to write and if you came across any info/sites on the web that might be helpful. DS is only 3 so he won't be going to Catholic School until Kindergarten or maybe for Pre-K at 4 (unless I keep him where he is now). So I want to try and educate myself on this topic in the mean time.
thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:41 PM

From the COG website, here is the history of the origin of the Vatican's statement on vaccines:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=1#post8842524

User Tag List