Vitamin K at birth - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
The vitamin K shot seemed odd to me from the get-go as it's not used in Europe (they use oral Konakion).
It depends on where you are in Europe. I'm in the UK and in my area the injection is the norm. We chose to give the injection because I personally was more comfortable with giving it than not.

I thought the link between jaundice and vit k was merely anecdotal? Has there been a study done recently? I definitely disagree with the notion that most hospital birthed babies get jaundice. I also thought that the more recent studies on vit k didn't find the leukaemia link?

Regarding the mother upping her level of vit k, apparently it doesn't pass through the placenta or bm in large enough quantities. At least that's what I've read - happy to be educated further if this isn't the case!

I always think it's somewhat ironic that breastfed babies are more likely to suffer the effects of HDN when bm is usually best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie View Post
Regarding the mother upping her level of vit k, apparently it doesn't pass through the placenta or bm in large enough quantities. At least that's what I've read - happy to be educated further if this isn't the case!
There seems to be a big difference between how K1 and K2 are transferred between mom and baby. K1 is what's usually been supplemented and studied in the US. K2, which is in various fatty animal foods and which seems to vary quite a bit based on how the animals are themselves raised, hasn't been studied as much, but the bits we know are fascinating. The link below discusses it and links to the abstracts and/or studies he's referencing.

Especially interesting since a guy named Weston Price wrote a book that, among other things, said our society consumes far, far too little K2, and that was based on his observations of the US diet in the 1930s.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search?q=placenta
Old 02-07-2010, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
@ tessie: interesting, I had no idea the UK used the shot. I knew mainly about German-speaking countries and Scandinavia. My sister was definitely a tad baffled when I told her that they use the shot in the US (she's a doc in Germany). She wanted to mail me oral Konakion but I ordered the stuff from the midwifery store in Montana.

All the k1 and k2 information is so interesting. But from what I've read you have to eat organic animal organs (aka liver) to get a lot of MK7. But that's just not my cup of tea. Anyone of you has a great resource what else to do? I just realllllyyyy cannot eat animal organs, yucky, too squeamish!
Old 02-07-2010, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
All the k1 and k2 information is so interesting. But from what I've read you have to eat organic animal organs (aka liver) to get a lot of MK7. But that's just not my cup of tea. Anyone of you has a great resource what else to do? I just realllllyyyy cannot eat animal organs, yucky, too squeamish!
There are more fatty animal products, butter can be a good source, egg yolks are decent, I can see if I can find a list, I think odd organ meats like brains do as well, but does seem that the amount in the animal product depends on how the animal is raised, so cows eating grass, chickens finding bugs and plants and stuff. I've seen speculation that seafood is a good source as well, but again, it's probably when the whole fish is consumed.

http://www.westonaprice.org/On-the-T...lved.html#fig4

Animal products actually have MK4, not MK7... MK7 is a result of fermentation, so cheese will have a mix of MK4 directly from the milk and MK7 from the fermentation in the cheese-making process. Natto, a strongly flavored fermented soy product has tons and tons of MK7, but like the link said, it's not preferentially passed on the way MK4 is.

That said, for a variety of reasons we supplement.

There's a liquid supp, Thorne brand K2, that's 1000mcg per drop, which is a robust dose. And Carlson has a 5-mg (5000mcg, just so it doesn't look like I did a typo) that's a really high dose and most people wouldn't need that much, but the capsules can be opened if someone wanted just part.

User Tag List