Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The form for MD has this as it's religious exemption:
"
RELIGIOUS OBJECTION:
I am the parent/guardian of the child identified above. Because of my bona fide religious beliefs and practices, I object to any
immunizations being given to my child. This exemption does not apply during an emergency or epidemic of disease.
Signed: __________________________________________________ ___________________ Date: _______________________"

http://edcp.org/pdf/896_form.pdf

Um, does signing that mean it's ok to force vax in some cases?
#2 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
#3 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 04:36 PM

I wouldn't sign that. I'd write my own form. Its not ok to force vaccines in any situation.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#4 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoulunbound View Post
The form for MD has this as it's religious exemption:
"
RELIGIOUS OBJECTION:
I am the parent/guardian of the child identified above. Because of my bona fide religious beliefs and practices, I object to any
immunizations being given to my child. This exemption does not apply during an emergency or epidemic of disease.
Signed: __________________________________________________ ___________________ Date: _______________________"

Um, does signing that mean it's ok to force vax in some cases?
No, it means that your child cannot attend school during a disease emergency, not that the school can vaccinate them.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
That is not the exemption form. The exemption form is part of the school vax form; you just check a box and sign.

No, it means that your child cannot attend school during a disease emergency, not that the school can vaccinate them.
Even if that IS what its supposed to mean(sounds vague to me), I would write my own form, or cross out that last line, or at LEAST change the wording to: In the case of a disease emergency, my child will not be attending school. (or something similar)

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#6 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatullah0 View Post
Even if that IS what its supposed to mean(sounds vague to me), I would write my own form, or cross out that last line, or at LEAST change the wording to: In the case of a disease emergency, my child will not be attending school. (or something similar)
RELIGIOUS OBJECTION:

Well, exemptions exempt one from something. School exemptions exempt you from state law require vaccination in order to attend; so when the exemption ceases to apply, they can not longer attend without vaccinations. There is no requirement to be vaccinated by the school itself, so there is no exemption for a practice that does not exist.

My state exemption for says "I understand that my child may be excluded from school attendance in times of emergency or epidemic declared by the commissioner of public health." Perhaps she could add

"This exemption (for school attendance) does not apply during an emergency or epidemic of disease."

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 9 Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
RELIGIOUS OBJECTION:
My state exemption for says "I understand that my child may be excluded from school attendance in times of emergency or epidemic declared by the commissioner of public health." Perhaps she could add

"This exemption (for school attendance) does not apply during an emergency or epidemic of disease."
I think this approach may be overly optimistic. The document is not a contract. The Maryland code is pretty specific about "public health emergencies" and admits compulsory quarantine and, secondarily from what I can tell, compulsory immunization in such an emergency.

This is what I take "this exemption does not apply..." to refer to. It's not a matter of agreeing to something so much as an explicit disclaimer from the state.
#8 of 9 Old 02-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I think this approach may be overly optimistic. The document is not a contract. The Maryland code is pretty specific about "public health emergencies" and admits compulsory quarantine and, secondarily from what I can tell, compulsory immunization in such an emergency.
This is what I take "this exemption does not apply..." to refer to. It's not a matter of agreeing to something so much as an explicit disclaimer from the state.

Though true, that has nothing to do with the exemption, which specifically exempts one from the attendance requirement to be vaccinated. Vaccination law is part of public health law, and the exemption only applies to that one part.

Though awkwardly worded, it is standard for state exemptions to say that they can be revoked in times of epidemic disease or emergency. It is also common for state health law to allow for compulsory quarantine and vaccination in particular circumstance; this is not unique to Maryland.

#9 of 9 Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

TY. we just wrote our own form using the first part- we are the parents, this is our kid, we don't vaccinate, end of story. nak.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page