Why do people assume the only reason for not vaccinating is fear of autism?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 49 Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 AM
 
ajenel79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugs View Post
.

Well... having a child with autism is very challenging; I consider it a good day if I don't contemplate suicide. I embrace my child, but I don't embrace autism any more than I would embrace a heart defect or chromosomal disorder; its part of who he is and I will do everything I can to ensure him a safe, happy life... but I would take autism away in a heartbeat of I could.



My DS has severe autism. And I completely agree with the above comment.

When he was first diagnosed, I honestly did not blame the vaccines. He is up to date as of 3 yrs old.
However, about 6 months later we found out he has a chromosome abnormality. So, my thoughts are, because of his chromosome issue, the vaccine(s) pushed him over the autism threshold. There was not one vaccine I can pinpoint, I think it was a combination.

Now we have another child who we had his chromosomes tested when he was 3 months old. He also has the chromosome abnormality and has had no vaccines other than the HepB in the hospital (which I should have been more aware at that point). He is doing so well developmentally and has hardly been sick at all compared to our oldest who has been developmentally delayed and sickly since about 6 months on.

Will my youngest still have autism? Possibly. However, my hope is that it will be milder than my oldest who has no communication at all.

Amy~Mommy to Levi (5/22/05) and Kasen (2/9/09)
ajenel79 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 of 49 Old 03-11-2010, 05:48 PM
 
quelindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: On the road to find out
Posts: 3,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read any of the responses yet, but I saw the title of this thread and I had to say -- OMG, ME TOO! It's SO irritating, not to mention extremely condescending.

We had a "friend" call us the day after he exposed our son to his obviously sick daughter to tell us that he thought his young daughter might have the measles, and that he felt he should call us because "you don't vaccinate because you mistakenly believe the fallacy that vaccinations cause autism."

I cannot tell you how TICKED OFF I was.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
quelindo is offline  
#33 of 49 Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 PM
 
member234098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Behind you.
Posts: 3,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your friend obviously has the mistaken belief in the fallacy that vaccines work; odd that he thought his fully vaxed daughter had the measles although he most probably vaccinated her!!
member234098 is offline  
#34 of 49 Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 PM
 
Kailey's mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do not think vaccines cause autism. I don't think they are a factor in true autism. I do believe that vaccine injuries can present a lot *like*autism, but there is a clear difference. Vaccine injuries can cause severe neurological damage, and a person can appear to be in a autism like state.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Kailey's mom is offline  
#35 of 49 Old 03-13-2010, 12:11 PM
 
quelindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: On the road to find out
Posts: 3,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Your friend obviously has the mistaken belief in the fallacy that vaccines work; odd that he thought his fully vaxed daughter had the measles although he most probably vaccinated her!!
Lol! Actually, she was about a year and hadn't had the MMR yet, I think. And his wife is a family practitioner, so there you go.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
quelindo is offline  
#36 of 49 Old 03-13-2010, 12:34 PM
 
fruitfulmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Between the Rockies and a Flat Place
Posts: 4,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
A lot of people on this thread say autism isn't even on their radar, isn't even just one of their reasons.
I would agree with a pp who said it wasn't on the radar for us when we made our decision, which was almost 11 years ago. Not that it isn't a concern at all, with what I know now, but it isn't a deciding factor for me. Our main reason for refusing vaccines was due to my husband's reactions to them, specifically DPT (changed to DTaP since then), which caused numerous problems for him as a child and because part of those reactions included a childhood history of seizures, the vaccine is contraindicated for *my* children.

Another vaccine contraindicated specifically for *my* children is the smallpox vaccine. This one is not routine for non-military personnel, but because three of my girls have eczema, being in close contact with anyone who has recently had this vaccine could be fatal for them.

Lastly, I do not buy into the belief that injecting my children with toxins and waste products produces or protects health. Whatever the current "research" claims to show about vaxxes and autism doesn't change this belief.
fruitfulmomma is online now  
#37 of 49 Old 03-13-2010, 12:42 PM
 
fruitfulmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Between the Rockies and a Flat Place
Posts: 4,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
Vaccine injuries can cause severe neurological damage, and a person can appear to be in a autism like state.
I don't discount this theory as plausible, but with all due respect, so what? Whatever name you want to give it, these children and their parents are really suffering and if vaccines have anything to do with it, that is a problem.
fruitfulmomma is online now  
#38 of 49 Old 03-13-2010, 01:47 PM
 
Jugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure I believe there is an "autism-like" state. As there are no known chemical or biological tests to separate "true" autism from "autism-like", as of now there is no difference. Autism is diagnosed by a set of characteristics/symptoms, regardless of how they came to be; perhaps individual symptoms could be defined as "autism-like", but of the person exhibits enough of the characteristics to qualify for the diagnosis, then it is simply autism at that point. For example, apraxia on its own could be called an "autism-like" symptom, because it is one possible symptom of autism, but not enough to qualify for a diagnosis in and of itself.


 

 

Jugs is offline  
#39 of 49 Old 03-13-2010, 02:01 PM
 
Emmeline II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
I do not think vaccines cause autism. I don't think they are a factor in true autism. I do believe that vaccine injuries can present a lot *like*autism, but there is a clear difference. Vaccine injuries can cause severe neurological damage, and a person can appear to be in a autism like state.
What is "true autism"? Autism is not a virus or bacteria; it is not diagnosed with a blood test or a cheek swab, but by behavioral observation.

If a child is developmentally normal, received vaccinations and regresses exhibiting the core symptoms below, how is that any "less" autism than someone who may be unvaxed but has the same symptoms?

ALL Autism may be caused by an environmental trigger of genetically susceptible children. In the news last year were towns, in my state of Texas, that were downwind of industrial plants and had significantly higher rates of Autism than occur in the general population.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Emmeline II is offline  
#40 of 49 Old 03-13-2010, 05:56 PM
 
Kailey's mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
What is "true autism"? Autism is not a virus or bacteria; it is not diagnosed with a blood test or a cheek swab, but by behavioral observation.

If a child is developmentally normal, received vaccinations and regresses exhibiting the core symptoms below, how is that any "less" autism than someone who may be unvaxed but has the same symptoms?

ALL Autism may be caused by an environmental trigger of genetically susceptible children. In the news last year were towns, in my state of Texas, that were downwind of industrial plants and had significantly higher rates of Autism than occur in the general population.
What I am trying to say is that I believe that some people are predesposed to having Autism. They are born with Autism. Then, there are people who have vaccine induced neurological damage. This is not true autism, what I mean by "true autism" is that the child wasn't born with it. The child was injured by vaccines.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Kailey's mom is offline  
#41 of 49 Old 03-13-2010, 06:15 PM
 
Kailey's mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
I don't discount this theory as plausible, but with all due respect, so what? Whatever name you want to give it, these children and their parents are really suffering and if vaccines have anything to do with it, that is a problem.
Yes, and this is why I made my post. People are so worried that vaccines are linked to autism. It's not autism, it's *to be blunt* brain damage! Autism in itself does not scare me, but brain damage..that's scary.

I do not vax because I'm afraid of my child having brain damage or death. I've met a ton of people on the spectrum that were happy. I've also met with people on the spectrum that were suffering so bad, and they were in agony. From my own experiences, the people who had regressive autism, seemed to be sadder.

Am I making sense. I know what I mean in my head, but it's hard to write it

eta: I believe people can be born with Autism. I also believe that people are being misdiagnosed with having Autism, when their problems are a result of poisoning.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Kailey's mom is offline  
#42 of 49 Old 03-13-2010, 07:09 PM
 
Emmeline II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
What I am trying to say is that I believe that some people are predesposed to having Autism. They are born with Autism. Then, there are people who have vaccine induced neurological damage. This is not true autism, what I mean by "true autism" is that the child wasn't born with it. The child was injured by vaccines.
I think everyone with Autism has a predisposition; not every child vaccinated has Autism and not every child living down wind from that plant in Texas has Autism

At this point we don't know if there is an Autism gene that produces Autism (as a gene does for blue eyes) despite the environment. There is a theory being studied now that some cases of Autism are due to the vaccinations the mother received during her lifetime and how the "environment" of her (vaccinated) body may impact fetal development. So even some cases of "congenital" Autism may have a link to vaccination.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Emmeline II is offline  
#43 of 49 Old 03-13-2010, 07:12 PM
 
Emmeline II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
eta: I believe people can be born with Autism. I also believe that people are being misdiagnosed with having Autism, when their problems are a result of poisoning.
Misdiagnosis? the result is the same. No one tells drinkers and smokers with cirrhosis and lung cancer that they don't have "true" cirrhosis and lung cancer, because a clear environmental factor resulted in their disease.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Emmeline II is offline  
#44 of 49 Old 03-13-2010, 07:20 PM
 
Kailey's mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Misdiagnosis? the result is the same. No one tells drinkers and smokers with cirrhosis and lung cancer that they don't have "true" cirrhosis and lung cancer, because a clear environmental factor resulted in their disease.
Yes, Misdiagnosis. If they would accuratly diagnose the problem as "chemical poisoning" or lead poisoning, or what ever it actually is.. then maybe there would be steps to take (chealation therapy for one) Maybe insuance would cover testing to see what exactly happened in the body. Instead, a diagnosis or autism is placed..and it's supposed to just be accepted, as though the person was born this way.

When talking about cirrhosis or lung cancer caused by drinkers and smokers, it would be alcohol induced cirrhosis. Smoking induced lung cancer. Why is it wrong to want the same truth when it comes to vaccine injuries. Why is it always autism, when it's not. It's not autism, but since a lot of the symptoms are very similar.. why not say "vaccine induced autism" ?

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Kailey's mom is offline  
#45 of 49 Old 03-13-2010, 07:21 PM
 
Kailey's mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Misdiagnosis? the result is the same. No one tells drinkers and smokers with cirrhosis and lung cancer that they don't have "true" cirrhosis and lung cancer, because a clear environmental factor resulted in their disease.
Results are not the same. This was clear to me when I started spending time with those in the autism community.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Kailey's mom is offline  
#46 of 49 Old 03-14-2010, 02:21 PM
 
skyblufig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: on the shores of Lake Michigan
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, to answer the OP, YES it makes me a little nuts as well. I'll assume that for most people, there's more than one consideration in play when they make any decision. And that's exactly what it was for us: a consideration, but not really a concern. We've got people "on the spectrum" on both sides of our families, but more concerning to me personally is my own exceptionally strong family history of autoimmune disease. Out of seven people in my immediate family, all seven have autoimmune disease(s). So it made no sense to us to start injecting foreign proteins, chemicals, etc into our children when that stuff has no business being there in the first place. After being kicked out of 2 ped practices, we found a family practice doc who understands perfectly.

The Jenny McCarthy thing both amuses and irritates me. What can one say to people who assume one makes decisions based on what a celebrity says? "Thank you for assuming I have no critical thought processes of my own??" It's right on par with the "friends" who indirectly slam my home birth by bringing up how "popular it's getting with you crunchy types because of Ricki Lake!". Blech. I want to warn them sometimes "you know we crunchy types blend in really well on the street -- you may want to take care with the hand sanitizer, it might be catching..." But I digress.

When I step back and take a look at my unvax'd son, who's on or off the spectrum (depending who you talk to) with Sensory Integrative Disorder and a speech delay, I have to wonder how much more difficult it would have been for him had we vax'd him. Maybe it would have made things more difficult for him, maybe not. But it's still not something I'd ever be willing to chance, you know? We trust nature and we trust our bodies to support us as long as we're taking care of ourselves mindfully.

I too have medical family members who find a way to inject the question of whether we've vax'd yet?! into every conversation and I have yet to find a way to gracefully answer that without out sounding irritated. But I cut myself some slack because I put that question right up there with asking someone whether they've had a nice bm today yet.

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

skyblufig is offline  
#47 of 49 Old 03-14-2010, 08:22 PM
 
dmbincp03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read the responses here and find them every interesting. Just a little rant....

I wanted to add, that it not just the assuming it is the autism thing that drives me bananas with people and their approach to the fact that I have decided to not vaccinate. What REALLY drives me bananas is that they look at me as if I am the wacko, because I question that my child be vaccinated, that I think that it may not be right for my child. It does not make sense to me that these people challenge my decision, yet go to their pediatrician and willfully allow their child to be vaccinated without question.

If a doctor wanted to start a child on a medication, a parent would surely question the side effects, they would read the insert and want to know much more about it. Yet it seems that vaccines are just so routinely accepted by parents and never questioned. I mean How can it be only concerned with autism a vaccine insert which lists ingredients and side effects. I would seriously consider not starting a medication if one of the side effects listed were permanent brain damage - dtap as per the CDC website. Oh yeah ... it's "rare" as per their website, may not even be associated with the vaccine ... give me a break.

I don't question people and their choice to vaccinate, they can make their own decision, I would like to be able to make my own decision without judgement of others. We make the choices about our children and we as parents have to live with them.
dmbincp03 is offline  
#48 of 49 Old 03-14-2010, 10:15 PM
 
Jugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
Yes, Misdiagnosis. If they would accuratly diagnose the problem as "chemical poisoning" or lead poisoning, or what ever it actually is.. then maybe there would be steps to take (chealation therapy for one) Maybe insuance would cover testing to see what exactly happened in the body. Instead, a diagnosis or autism is placed..and it's supposed to just be accepted, as though the person was born this way.
I think it all comes back to the medical community's refusal to see autism as something other than a mental condition; until that happens, we will never know what's what. In many states, screening for lead levels has become a standard practice in an autism evaluation, but any other metal screenings you are on your own. For us, we couldn't find a doctor who would order a complete screening and we couldn't afford to see a DAN! doctor to order the tests; since my state doesn't allow patients to order their own screenings by mail, I had to have them shipped to my brother out-of-state, who mailed them to me, then I mailed them back to him after we took ds' samples, who then mailed them back to the lab to get the results. I don't think it will become standard practice any time soon because, if too many autistic children are showing elevated metals, people start to ask uncomfortable questions, kwim?


 

 

Jugs is offline  
#49 of 49 Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 PM
 
Kailey's mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugs View Post
I think it all comes back to the medical community's refusal to see autism as something other than a mental condition; until that happens, we will never know what's what. In many states, screening for lead levels has become a standard practice in an autism evaluation, but any other metal screenings you are on your own. For us, we couldn't find a doctor who would order a complete screening and we couldn't afford to see a DAN! doctor to order the tests; since my state doesn't allow patients to order their own screenings by mail, I had to have them shipped to my brother out-of-state, who mailed them to me, then I mailed them back to him after we took ds' samples, who then mailed them back to the lab to get the results. I don't think it will become standard practice any time soon because, if too many autistic children are showing elevated metals, people start to ask uncomfortable questions, kwim?
Exactly!

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Kailey's mom is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off