Tell the ER docs that your kid isn't vaxed?! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 02-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what percent of medical personnel will use my daughter's "under"vaccinated status against her (and us), but I know it's not a tiny, negligible percent. Maybe it's a minority; heck, I think and hope it's a minority. But let's say it's only 25%... too risky for me.

It would be a harder choice if I felt the risks of lying were serious, but I don't. If my child presents with meningitis symptoms, they should not be dismissed based on my answer. If my child presents with flu symptoms, a spinal tap shouldn't be the first order based on my answer. In fact, the only relevant situation I could think of where the doctor would need to know about vaccinations is if there is a chance my child is REACTING to a recently administered vaccine (but we all know that's it's a minority of doctors who will even consider that, so that's just a pipe dream anyway).

Illness and disease should not be ruled out by vaccine status.
Illness and disease should not suddenly weigh more heavily as a possibility due to vaccine status.

I've heard so many stories about spinal tap punishments, I'm not taking a chance, even if I believe (and I do) that's it's not the likeliest scenario.

As with my choices about vaccines themselves, this is a risk/benefit scenario. I see very, very little benefit in disclosing vaccine status to ER doctors, and I see some considerable risks.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#32 of 43 Old 02-15-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Absolutely I am not denying your own true life experience. But I think what you mean really is that in your experience most medical professionals feel this way. This is very different than saying for a fact that most feel this way. If I were to go by my own personal experiences I could say ALL are okay with it, but I don't have any study to prove this so I just explained it as my experience instead.
I've been in the non-vaxing "community" long enough to see "non-vax=neglect" as more the rule than the exception. I know many more people that have been kicked out of practices for non-vaccination (or not on schedule) than those who could say , hasn't been a problem.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#33 of 43 Old 02-16-2010, 06:09 PM

With 3 wild boys we go to the ER a lot. I have always answered "We don't immunize." when I have been asked if we're up to date on our shots, and I have never been given a hard time about it. Perhaps this is because we have always lived in cities on the west coast and the doctors here are more used to people doing their own thing.

I have read about plenty of bad experiences here on MDC, and I did have one irritating experience with one nurse practitioner when we were going in for new patient check-ups. So I know unpleasant medical reactions to vaccination status happens.

I think you just need to weigh the situation and do what you feel comfortable with. I don't feel comfortable lying, so I tell the truth. But, I also have the fortitude to stand up to doctors if they are making a bad diagnosis or requesting unreasonable tests. I realize that not everyone does, so it really is a personal decision you need to make based on your personality and circumstances.

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#34 of 43 Old 02-16-2010, 07:00 PM

I have yet to meet a nurse or doctor who's cool with selective vaccinating, delayed or none whatsoever... I was always hassled!!! If you are in a rural area chances are nobody will think it's ok to not vaccinate. And we are stuck with military health insurance, and NOT a single nurse or doctor is cool with skipping even one vaccine. They love vaccines, they are their holy grail.
At the ER I said yes, DS is up to date (which he is in our book!). We were there because he dropped something heavy on his toe, so vaccines have nothing to do with his issue there. If I brought him in for something like suspected meningitis or pertussis, yes, I would say he is not vaccinated. But I would want them to test for those diseases even if he were vaccinated for them in such a case as we all know that vaccines don't always work (especially with the conditions listed above).
#35 of 43 Old 02-17-2010, 01:05 AM

I wonder if the response would be different if you said "no they are not up to date" as opposed to "we don't vaccinate". I can see the first response as being a sign of a parent who may be neglectful. Meaning they haven't bothered to keep their child up to date. "We don't vaccinate" could be seen to mean we have decided not to vaccinate for whatever reason, not because we couldn't be bothered. I know MIL didn't vaccinate my DH until he was over a year old because she just didn't bother to make the appointment not because she had any objections. I think if I ever need to answer this question I will make a point to say that we choose not to vaccinate.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#36 of 43 Old 02-17-2010, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have always posted on these threads that it depends on the situation and that I am not above lying. We were in the ER yet again over the weekend and guess what, I lied. For the record I am a RN, one of my children has an extensive respiratory history dating back to a VPD as a newborn (pertussis) and gets very ill very quickly. I answer the vax question based on several things, what I am there for, how I feel about it, and the medical professional that is questioning me.

I brought DS in for dehydration due to RSV which we had been seeing the pedi for during week. I was in the office 4 different times that week, my 3 year also had pneumonia, saw a different doc every time, not once was it my regular one that is completely cool with us not vaxing. While I am sure it was in the charts that we are not vaxing, when I see another doc, I always get asked, never once was I asked that week.

So then I head to the ER, I get this nurse, who didn't know I was also a nurse, and was definitely pulling the "I am a medical professional and far superior to you" attitude. I don't always say am a RN, I sometimes save the "nurse card" for when I really need it, and because I also like to see how I get treated when they don't know. She was all up in my business for lack of a better term, and then we get to the vax question, I knew that the already intense grilling was going to go to all out warfare if she knew DS was not vaxed and the info was not important to his treatment so I looked at her, smiled and said "He is up to date.". End of conversation. He got IV fluids and then we went home.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#37 of 43 Old 02-17-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
So then I head to the ER, I get this nurse, who didn't know I was also a nurse, and was definitely pulling the "I am a medical professional and far superior to you" attitude. I don't always say am a RN, I sometimes save the "nurse card" for when I really need it, and because I also like to see how I get treated when they don't know.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#38 of 43 Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
There have been people who have had their child's illness ignored by doctors/nurses who would rather lecture/berate parents for their vaccine choices, order invasive testing based soley on vaccine status, and treat their children with hostility due to vaccine status.
That's what just happened to me

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#39 of 43 Old 02-19-2010, 12:40 AM

I have had only one experience with this, going to the ER and them asking me about my LO's vax status.
She asked if DD was up to date on her vax's and I said "no, she's not". I think the way I said it implied I was against vaxinations though because she asked "and that is your choice?" and I said "yep!"

I didn't really think to much about it before I answered........now that I have read this thread I am not sure how I will answer next time! (Well, I hope their IS no next time)
I almost feel like we have to stand up to them for our rights and beliefs - but on the other hand, I don't really have time to be hassled to death or have my children poked and prodded needlessly
Ugh - life!
I have a bad feeling it is just going to get worse - and I just hope I don't have any LO's when that happens...............

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#40 of 43 Old 02-19-2010, 05:05 PM

Exhibit A: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1196722

#41 of 43 Old 02-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post
I've decided to answer the question like this: Look at my child. Look at his symptoms. Any vaccinated child can still get the diseases an unvaccinated child can get. I don't want my child to be overlooked because you believe that vaccines provide 100% protection, or because you believe that unvaccinated children are constantly contagious with vaccine-preventable diseases. My child's vaccination status doesn't matter. You will do a more thorough job without that information.
I've not been in a situation where we've been asked yet, but I would also answer like this. If asked, I would suggest that my child's vax status should have little to do with diagnostics, and to please treat my child as if you do not have this information. Whether or not she is up to date is irrelevant as vaccines are not 100% effective. Period.

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#42 of 43 Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a few times and was never hassled.

1st time in the ER for thinking my son had a broken leg when i accidentally slid the sliding door closed on his foot while we were standing outside of the van and i was holding him. It was just really bruised.

2nd time being when he had a ear infection and very bad cough.

More recently back in December my 6yr old pushed him into the corner of the computer desk which resulted in a semi deep head wound to his forehead. Dh took him into the ER. dd was alseep in the car by that time. They asked about vaccines and dh said that he doesn't make those decisions my wife does. and they didn't say a thing to him.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#43 of 43 Old 02-28-2010, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
omg, what a horrible experience.
I love those kind of god-docs. they make my skin crawl.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page