recently vaccinated playmates - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 15 Old 03-08-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
elus0814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: where the air force says
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My non-vaxed kids play with lots of kids who are vaccinated on schedule. I'm concerned that they could be exposed to live viruses that the other kids are shedding if they have been recently vaccinated with a live virus vaccine.

Is this something you are concerned about? Do you ask other parents then cancel playdates or just make sure to wash their hands and remind them not to put their hands in their mouths? The only thing I do is to be careful about toy sharing with drooling babies who are at vaccine ages (2 months, 6 months, etc.).
elus0814 is offline  
#2 of 15 Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 PM
 
crunchy_mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do worry some about this but DS doesn't have many playmates yet. I'm already worried about taking him to DN's 1st birthday in a few months because he'll most likely have recently been vaxed with MMR & chicken pox. Curious to hear others' responses!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
crunchy_mommy is offline  
#3 of 15 Old 03-08-2010, 03:42 PM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It concerns me a bit, but there is really nothing I can do about it. My son goes to daycare...I will never know when he has been around a recently vaxed kiddo. The same goes for kids who are starting Kindegarten....that is around the time most kids get an mmr booster and or CP booster. Are you really going to call all the parents of the kids in your child's class to inquire about their vax status (rhetorical question!) I would think not, so I try and not worry about it. I'm far more concerned about people that send their ill children to daycare/school

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#4 of 15 Old 03-08-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
elus0814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: where the air force says
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
It concerns me a bit, but there is really nothing I can do about it. My son goes to daycare...I will never know when he has been around a recently vaxed kiddo. The same goes for kids who are starting Kindegarten....that is around the time most kids get an mmr booster and or CP booster. Are you really going to call all the parents of the kids in your child's class to inquire about their vax status (rhetorical question!) I would think not, so I try and not worry about it. I'm far more concerned about people that send their ill children to daycare/school
I'm thinking more about playdates and small groups with just a few families or when we have friends with their kids over for dinner. My kids are homeschooled and have never been to daycare so I don't have to worry about group settings. There isn't much that can be done about viruses being shed in large groups but there is a lot that can be done with just one friend coming over. I could postpone a playdate if the other child has recently had a live virus vaccine.
elus0814 is offline  
#5 of 15 Old 03-08-2010, 03:51 PM
 
Emmeline II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope. Don't worry about it. Besides the fact that I'm not trying to avoid TCDs, there are plenty of nasties that have no vaccine.

My son just had pink eye, which also caused a high fever and bronchitis. Who knows what he touched before we knew he had it? We don't even know where he got it from.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Emmeline II is offline  
#6 of 15 Old 03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
 
crunchy_mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post
I'm thinking more about playdates and small groups with just a few families or when we have friends with their kids over for dinner. My kids are homeschooled and have never been to daycare so I don't have to worry about group settings. There isn't much that can be done about viruses being shed in large groups but there is a lot that can be done with just one friend coming over. I could postpone a playdate if the other child has recently had a live virus vaccine.
But... there was a thread about this recently... discussing vax status may not be the best way to keep friends. Things like that should be personal IMO. I don't think it would be "right" to ask your kids friends' parents whether they are vaxed, when they will receive their next vax, etc. anymore than you'd want them asking about your kids' vax status & keeping their kids away from yours because they AREN'T vaxed, KWIM? I totally get your concerns though, as I do share them... not paranoid or anything but I'd prefer my DS to not get sick of course!!

ETA: And of course your kids could get tons of illnesses totally unrelated to being recently vaxed....

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
crunchy_mommy is offline  
#7 of 15 Old 03-08-2010, 05:03 PM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post
I'm thinking more about playdates and small groups with just a few families or when we have friends with their kids over for dinner. My kids are homeschooled and have never been to daycare so I don't have to worry about group settings. There isn't much that can be done about viruses being shed in large groups but there is a lot that can be done with just one friend coming over. I could postpone a playdate if the other child has recently had a live virus vaccine.
I hear you, in fact I almost didn't take my DS to a b-day party because of this! My friend (who doesn't know we don't vax...it's not a secret but she has never asked...if she did I would tell her) menmtioned in passing that the day b-4 her DD's 1st b-day party she would be receiving her MMR. I was all set to make up some excuse as to why DS couldn't come, but then she also happened to mention a few days later that she was changing the appointment and she would be getting it after the party....so we went. I did make it a point to not get them together for a couple of weeks after her appt.
I don't actively worry as I know that because DS is in daycare I will not know when the kids there have been vaxed. However If I know as I did in the above situation, I may err on the side of safety. (I did in this case b-cos he was only 9 months old at the time)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#8 of 15 Old 03-08-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
elus0814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: where the air force says
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
I hear you, in fact I almost didn't take my DS to a b-day party because of this! My friend (who doesn't know we don't vax...it's not a secret but she has never asked...if she did I would tell her) menmtioned in passing that the day b-4 her DD's 1st b-day party she would be receiving her MMR. I was all set to make up some excuse as to why DS couldn't come, but then she also happened to mention a few days later that she was changing the appointment and she would be getting it after the party....so we went. I did make it a point to not get them together for a couple of weeks after her appt.
I don't actively worry as I know that because DS is in daycare I will not know when the kids there have been vaxed. However If I know as I did in the above situation, I may err on the side of safety. (I did in this case b-cos he was only 9 months old at the time)
I would have done the same thing. It's not that I'm scared but I'm not about to knowingly expose my kids to, say, mumps. Most of our friends know we don't vax and don't seem to care but I'm pretty sure they don't know about how recently vaxed kids can shed viruses. I'm very vocal about it since I see lots of parents who seem very concerned about vaccines but wrongly believe the military has vaccination rules for their children the same way they do for military personnel when that is not the case. I make sure anyone who says anything about thinking about not vaxing knows that they don't have to and that there is a doctor on base who is ok with non-vaxing families and won't lecture them.
elus0814 is offline  
#9 of 15 Old 03-08-2010, 06:33 PM
 
MissRubyandKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is two. I wouldn't not do something because of her or another's vaccination status unless it had to do with live flu vaccine or live polio vaccine or live rotavirus vaccine and I was told about it. I wouldn't ask, but if it was shared with me I'd probably have second thoughts about being around someone who just received on of those live virus vaccines. At that point I'd really have to see how I felt about it.

blogging.jpg

MissRubyandKen is offline  
#10 of 15 Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 AM
 
TanyaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: in a people house
Posts: 3,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This article helped me understand shedding enough not to be concerned about it. It is something to be aware of especially if you will be changing diapers on a baby who has recently had the rotovirus vaccine.
TanyaS is offline  
#11 of 15 Old 03-09-2010, 01:46 PM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
This article helped me understand shedding enough not to be concerned about it. It is something to be aware of especially if you will be changing diapers on a baby who has recently had the rotovirus vaccine.
link doesn't work.....

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#12 of 15 Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
 
TanyaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: in a people house
Posts: 3,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
link doesn't work.....
It worked for me when I checked it just now.
TanyaS is offline  
#13 of 15 Old 03-09-2010, 02:29 PM
 
claddaghmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I know that those who protect their children from vaccines often have to go against the mainstream thinking. The general idea in regards to vaccine-related diseases is that the whole world wants to do everything possible to avoid them.

For those who are looking at the bigger picture of immunology and childhood illness, that's not true. And it's a fight to get the perspective across.


That being said, I still think there could be times when it's prudent to consider the implications of recently vaccinated children. For example, during pregnancy (especially in someone who is vaccine free and unsure of status on some diseases).

I don't "fear" DD getting sick. But at the same time, I don't think I'd like my 16 month old to get measles, mumps, rota, chickenpox, the flu, etc. I'd like her to be old enough to talk to me. (And isn't there some speculation on breastfeeding impacting immunity)...

Mama to expecting Babe 2
claddaghmom is offline  
#14 of 15 Old 03-10-2010, 12:50 PM
 
LilNicksMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I have to admit I am totally freaked out by it. I have a 2 yo unvaxed and my son has an 8 mo old who is being vaxed. From what I've researched she hasn't had anything that sheds yet (no roto and they refused the flu shot) but I know the mmr and chickenpox will be coming up in the next few months. I feel so bad saying 'don't bring her around for a bit afterwards' but what am I to do.

I wish I could just quit worrying about it! I know that I'm not gonna have any control when he starts school and when he's around some of his younger cousins. I guess I just feel if I KNOW there's a chance why not avoid it if I can.

~Sherry
LilNicksMom is offline  
#15 of 15 Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 PM
 
RMM1117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
(And isn't there some speculation on breastfeeding impacting immunity)...
What do you mean? I am interested..

homeschool.gif mama to DS6modifiedartist.gif and DD1fly-by-nursing1.gif
RMM1117 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off