A question regarding the health of your unvaccinated children. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 71 Old 03-19-2010, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is NOT meant to spark a debate, hurt feelings, etc. I am innocently curious. I have only recently made the decision to not vaccinate at all, and I have been wondering about this for a while so I thought .. who better to ask?! :0)

Do any of your vaccinated or partially vaccinated children have Autism?

Do any of your 100% UNvaccinated children have Autism?

I am honestly more curious about the second question, but wanted to give everyone a chance to respond. :0)

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#2 of 71 Old 03-19-2010, 10:04 PM

Neither of my completely unvaxed kids have autism (thank God!).

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#3 of 71 Old 03-19-2010, 10:38 PM

I'm interested in the answers to this. I have been wondering the same thing lately. Just like I've HEARD the Amish who don't vax, dont have autism. I have no proof to back that up, so please, correct me if I'm wrong.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#4 of 71 Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 PM

I have 1 2yo who is completely unvaxed and is free from autism, and I am grateful for her health.
#5 of 71 Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM

My 27 month dd is completely vax-free and does not have autism (or allergies or asthma or anything else that we are aware of).
#6 of 71 Old 03-19-2010, 11:11 PM

No autism here either. My dd is completely unvaxed and she does have celiacs disease though. My ds is partially vaxed and he pretty much has an immune system of steel (I had to expose him 4 times to chicken pox before he caught them) and is healthy as a horse.

My decision not to vax did not really have anything to do with autism though.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#7 of 71 Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 PM

At the time I decided to stop vaccinating, ASD issues were not particularly on my radar. Which is interesting, because it turns out my family doesn't deal well with the mercury in our amalgam fillings, and both my kids have health and behavior issues that are related (due to growing in me), but do not meet any diagnostic criteria. I am not confident I could've made that statement had I vaccinated my son; his immune system is not great.
#8 of 71 Old 03-20-2010, 12:25 AM

I'm in a similar boat as Tanya. I have several amalgam fillings so apparently a pretty heavy mercury load, but neither of my kids has had any vaccinations.

DS1 has some definite spectrum-like behaviour issues, but DH is likely on the spectrum so genetics may also play a role.

DS2 has some allergy issues but no sign of autism.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#9 of 71 Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 AM

Both of my children are partially vaxxed. Neither are autistic, though DS has issues with "life skills" (buttons, etc.) - but I can't say that has anything to do with the vax's he received either way. We stopped vaxxing after DD developed spiking fevers, seizures and severe allergies, and I do believe those were caused by the vaccines.
#10 of 71 Old 03-20-2010, 01:57 AM

One of my children is partially vaccinated, the other six are completely unvaccinated, and none of them have autism.

However, my oldest two, who are technically my step-kids, have a half-brother who is autistic. (I think Asperger's?) I don't know for sure, but I would bet that he is unvaccinated, since his mother chose to stop vaccinating my step-daughter and chose not to vaccinate my step-son. (I could be wrong. Could be her current husband is pro-vax. But somehow I doubt it.)

Michelle, Christian , sahm, homeschooling , breastfeeding , no vax, blogging , photographer mom with ADD and Social Anxiety Disorder Mom to 4 boys, 3 girls.
#11 of 71 Old 03-20-2010, 09:33 PM

My only child is unvaxxed and doesn't have autism.
#12 of 71 Old 03-21-2010, 02:02 AM

I just have one sweet boy and he is unvaxed and about as healthy as they come. No autism.

He does have some food allergies, like I do, though. I am very glad we decided not to vax, since I think I have also had some mercury issues. Still working on correcting that!
#13 of 71 Old 03-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View Post
I'm interested in the answers to this. I have been wondering the same thing lately. Just like I've HEARD the Amish who don't vax, dont have autism. I have no proof to back that up, so please, correct me if I'm wrong.
The Amish might not have as many cases of autism because autism is a socially defined disorder. If their culture does not provide for autism as a disorder, it won't exist.

I am unvaccinated and autistic, my daughter is also unvaccinated but not apparently autistic. My brother was vaccinated and, while not autistic, nearly died after a vaccine when he was 1.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#14 of 71 Old 03-21-2010, 02:12 PM

Myself (30) and my two sons (10 and 5) have never been vaccinated, and never had any major health problems. Both boys are way ahead in most school subjects (despite DS1 being slightly dyslexic) and none of us have any autism spectrum type issues, no allergies, etc. I had chicken pox as akid, and so has my oldest son (both exceptionally mild cases) other than that, we have never had more than whatever cold etc. is going around. We also avoid all allopathic medical treatments in all but extreme emergencies, and do not use metal dental fillings. HTH Yay for unvaxed families. I am especially proud of all the vaxed Mommas who chose to make a different choice for their children.

Homeschooling, homebirthing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, APing, UC, super crunchy mom to Ezra(9), Adrian(5), and Lily(May 15) : Non-vaxed mom and babes
#15 of 71 Old 03-21-2010, 11:03 PM

My son is partially vaxed, and no health issues other than slight eczema.

My daughter is not vaccinated and has no health issues at all.

I've also heard that about the Amish, and there is tons of conflicting information about it online ...so who knows?
#16 of 71 Old 03-21-2010, 11:32 PM

Personally Autism wasn't a factor when deciding not to vax. We have no history of it in either side or our extended family. For this reason I decided to ignore the, does vax or doesn't vax cause autism, question. I focused on diseases and vaxes for them.

DH and I were both fully Vaxed. I had mumps and Whooping Cough as a preteen despite being fully vaxed. I was also in and out of the hospital for the first two years of my life, with unexplained high fevers.

DS1 is mostly fully vaxed up to 17 months so he is just missing the preschool boosters and he is 8. He is very healthy, he's never had antibiotics. Well one dose, when he was 3, that he promptly threw up. He is doing really well in reading and kinda just average with the rest.

DS 2 is completely unvaxed. He has had Chicken Pox when he was 2, It was a fairly good case with lots of bumps but he wasn't really ill. A few colds as well, never any earaches. Never any antibiotics for him.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#17 of 71 Old 03-21-2010, 11:36 PM

My daughter is vaccine free and has no symptoms of ASD. But I worry about her mercury load b/c I was heavily vaccinated. I wonder about some rashes/digestion issues she's having and if that's related to mercury.

My decisions about vaccination had nothing to do with Autism. I find Autism to be a label for a collection of symptoms, b/c our science community doesn't have a clue what they are looking at or what causes "it." In my neuroscience hobbying, I've come to see a wide collection of illnesses and neurodegenerative diseases function similarly. And it seems to me that the primary culprit is...any environmental factor that damages the brain/nervous system. That would automatically include the heavily loaded vaccines on our CDC schedule, but that also means anything/everything else from toxins to deficiencies to birthing etc are included.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#18 of 71 Old 03-22-2010, 05:50 AM

My stepdaughter is fully vaxxed and does not have autism. My daughter is completely unvaccinated and she also does not have autism.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#19 of 71 Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My almost 2 year old DS is unvaxed and does not have autism or spectrum like issues

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#20 of 71 Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post
The Amish might not have as many cases of autism because autism is a socially defined disorder. If their culture does not provide for autism as a disorder, it won't exist.
Their culture does provide for autism as a disorder. The last I read the only cases of Autism found in the Amish community were in non-Amish children vaccinated before adoption. Though I don't know if a formal study has been done or this was only the research of the reporter.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#21 of 71 Old 03-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Their culture does provide for autism as a disorder. The last I read the only cases of Autism found in the Amish community were in non-Amish children vaccinated before adoption. Though I don't know if a formal study has been done or this was only the research of the reporter.
It's also possible that it could be genetic. That's what I'm hearing the studies are finding these days. In the Amish community there might be less interference with an outside gene pool which could have something to do with it. They tend to marry within the Amish community.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#22 of 71 Old 03-22-2010, 07:58 PM

neither my vaxed ds nor my unvaxed dd have autism. it does not run in either of our families either.

i think you may want to ask this in the sn forum where there are kids on the spectrum. i know there are plenty of unvaxed kids that are on the spectrum and plenty of vaxed kiddos that aren't.

for me ASD was not a compelling reason not to vax.

eh. who needs a signature?
#23 of 71 Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 PM

Dd was vaxed until 2.5 yo,she's now 11 and no autism.Ds had one vax for hep b,which was forced,and he does have autism,asperger's.I don't know if that one vax is to blame,he's had open heart surgery and was on the heart and lung machine for a while.He also has a microdeletion of his 2nd chromosome,so who knows what caused it.My dad is also on the spectrum.Other than that both kids are very healthy.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#24 of 71 Old 03-25-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Were those adopted children in any followed by social wokers and whatnot? How they came to be diagnosed would be important. Also, most adopted kids are vaccinated since they normally go through CPS or some other government agency. I would also want to know the family history of those children. Were their bio-parents autistic? Does the trauma of adoption make children more vulnerable? (In short, if you have a link or reference to that study, I'd love to read it)

I get somewhat annoyed at arguments that point to other places/communities where XYZ does not exist. Disorders such as autism have such strong roots in the social and discursive context of a specific society or part of society that there is really no way to make a convincing argument about prevalence by comparing 2 cultures.

I think that this "autism epidemic" some people are talking about is really nothing more than the growing awareness about autism. My father was autistic but was labeled as weird and withdrawn since it was not a common diagnosis to make at the time. I can easily pass as non-autistic as an adult (people will think I am quirky, geeky, strangely opinionated, reclusive, etc). I was only flagged as having a disorder when I moved to a bigger city because autism was not something that was part of society in the tiny rural places I lived before (they did not have the same rigid structures bigger schools need to have).

I really do not think that there is enough evidence to confirm or disprove a link between autism and vaccines. I do think that there are so many other reasons not to vax that it does not really matter to me too much.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#25 of 71 Old 03-28-2010, 01:09 AM

DS#1 - fully vaxed - Asperger's

DS#2 - selective/delayed vax - few sensory issues, possibly central auditory processing, but def. not ASD

DD - no vax - neurotypical

Additional comment: I am as neurotypical as they come but both DH and his dad (FIL) have many ASD traits
#26 of 71 Old 03-28-2010, 01:37 PM

DD#1 - Two vaccines, no autism, a few sensory issues that I suspect are genetic and have nothing to do with vaccines or anything else. In general she's pretty healthy, although she gets the flu quite a lot. However, she nearly always recovers very quickly and has needed antibiotics only a handful of times in her life, mostly when she was an infant.

DD#2 - No vaccines, no autism, wasn't sick at all for the first 11 months of her life. When she did get sick, it was bad. Very bad. It took her a month to get better and in the process we discovered that she was allergic to milk, took her off it, and almost immediately she started returning to her old self. Since then she's been a bit more sickly then her sister-she's had a bout with MRSA, and a really scary bout of pneumonia which required her to have a few at-home breathing treatments with an inhaler and antibiotics. Besides those things she's been pretty healthy. Both girls have had the chicken pox and recovered well. They're not very prone to colds and minor illnesses.

DS- Well, he's only two weeks old, so we'll have to see with him. So far no vaccines; I plan to selectively vaccinate him. He has some impetigo right now that we're treating with an antibiotic ointment but that's the only thing so far that's concerned me.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#27 of 71 Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 AM

My twin girls will be three next month
No vax so far no Autism.. minor sensitivities to artificial colors in food. So we just don't buy that. Tends to come out in a rash and aggressive behavior.

Blessings!
#28 of 71 Old 04-01-2010, 06:38 PM

My 3 year old is no-vax and no-asd.

she does seems to cough after drinking cows milk, but nothing serious... she also gets a red rash when she eat hummus... or any food dies, especially pink (like on cupcakes). It only last for about an hour though.

Otherwise, awesomely healthy balance! It was a rough fall/winter with back-to-back-to-back colds, but I believe it was a necessary step in the development of her robust immune system and so glad it happened, as we are expecting #2 now and would definitely prefer not to be sick all fall/winter this year AND pregnant!

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#29 of 71 Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 PM

2 unvaxed dd's (7 and 9) neither has autism and both very healthy, neither has ever had a prescription drug.
#30 of 71 Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 AM

DS is only 4.5 months old, so who's to say? he's very social though. (as social as a 4.5 month old can be anyway)

he's not vaxed at all, and frankly, autism wasn't a reason on my list of them not to vax. it had more to do with the diseases themselves, and all the other multitude of questionable ingredients in vaccines that I think don't belong in a baby - or any other human -

DH and I are not autistic either - though I think I'd would test positive for ADD - DH was vaxed all the way, and on schedule. Many of mine were delayed until school age, not really on purpose, we just moved a lot and mom didn't bother until she had to

FWIW maternal grandmother had nearly all the diseases that there are vaccines for - measles, mumps, pretty sure she had whooping cough, I know she had scarlet fever - and she survived them. This to me, was a bigger reason not to vaccinate (see, people get sick, and they get better - and this was back in the 30's and 40's, before much of the newer meds and treatments)

We'll see about DS though, as far as any other illnesses. Thus far, he's not gotten more than a little cold.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page