Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 04-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboosmommy View Post

Still working on this.

The director of the CDC here at Hill said they only do it for Medical reasons. Obviously that's not true. I gave her the regulations that show the religious exemption clause when I handed in everything. Any other suggestions? I didn't actually talk to her, I passed on the info through the guy at the front desk and she called DH and told him they only do medical. So, I'm guessing my first step should be to just call her and remind her that it's in the regs. But what if she still tells me NO?

I believe the order would be group commander, base commander, IG.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#32 of 41 Old 05-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Hi CubbbyAF,

I sent you a PM but wanted to also follow up here for the IG POC info.  Hoping to have that in my back pocket before trying to enroll my DS at the Dods school this fall.. Thanks!

#33 of 41 Old 08-19-2011, 12:47 AM

This thread is awesome!! Thank you so much for all the help! I am currently in a fight with the FCC program because they are denying me my daycare license because my child is not vaccinated!

#34 of 41 Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 AM

Got the call this morning that their waivers have been APPROVED!

*happy dance*

Took a while though. After they asked for a clergy letter, which one of the chaplains was happy to provide, it took almost 2 months, and that's AFTER all the other back and forth. Yesterday I made another call to find out where it was in the process and was told that it was at the Pentagon level (BTW, here it was MUCH more pleasant dealing with the FCC director than the CDC director). She called me this morning to let me know they'd received it back APPROVED. 

I am SO relieved. Hubby's going on deployment soon and I wasn't going to be able to take advantage of the free child care hours or their "Parents Night Out" programmes without it all taken care of.

#35 of 41 Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I am curious about more recent experiences with CYS registration and religious exemptions.  

I have tried for years to get my children registered and have been unsuccessful- in GA, VA, WA, and now AZ.  When we were at Ft Lewis, I actually filed an IG complaint and it was dismissed with no action taken.  I've missed out on respite care during deployment and this is really frustrating!  Right now I am being told (in AZ) that my religious exemption will only be accepted with a notarized letter from the clergy at my church and that, even with the religious waiver, there are still 3 vaccinations that are mandatory before enrollment is allowed.  (The APHN even claims that those 3 vaccinations are required for children with medical waivers as well-even in children who cannot be vaccinated because of pre-existing medical conditions!)  I know this isn't true but am not sure I have the energy to fight this... which is why I usually give up until we PCS again.  Ironically, children must be registered with CYS to attend the homeschool support group on post here.  

I've read through all of these old threads, printed the various regs and waiver forms, and turned them in to CYS and the APHN but I am getting nowhere.  It would be far easier to enroll my kids in almost anything off post than to go through the military.  Any advice?

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#36 of 41 Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 PM

I do not have experience with CYS specifically.  However, I have been able to enroll my child at the DODs school here on an AF base without any issues.  I downloaded the request for exemption and filled it out along with a letter stating that we were not vaxing for religious reasons.  The nurse did not bat an eye and there has not been any issues.  When I did drop off the paperwork, I went armed with the reg (Army Regulation 40–562).  http://www.vaccines.mil/documents/969r40_562.pdf

(4) Department of Defense schoolteachers, daycare center workers, and children attending DOD–sponsored schools
and daycare centers or similar facilities on military installations. As a condition of employment or attendance at these
facilities, schoolteachers, childcare center workers, volunteers, and children attending DOD–sponsored primary and
secondary schools, childcare centers, or similar facilities are administered appropriate vaccines against communicable
diseases unless already immune (based on documented receipt of vaccine series or physician–diagnosed illness) or
medically/administratively exempt.
For rubella, immunity is based only on documentation of immunization or laboratory
evidence of immunity. Administer influenza vaccine annually to schoolteachers, daycare workers, and volunteers.
In addition, all other age appropriate ACIP–recommended vaccines for children are required unless there is documentation
of previous immunization, religious exemption,
or medical contraindication. Installation medical staff will collaborate
with DOD school and daycare center authorities to ensure effective immunization screening procedures. Local
10 AR 40–562/BUMEDINST 6230.15A/AFJI 48–110/CG COMDTINST M6230.4F • 29 September 2006
MTFs will appoint liaisons to these facilities to ensure understanding and compliance. For foreign–national children
outside the United States, observe host country recommendations or requirements.

Looks like the Arizona Dept. of Health Services has exemptions forms for schools and child care so you might want to go there and get your religious waiver as well.    You can also check out this website http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/arizona.htm.

I know that it is exhausting to deal with military people.  You need to go to the CYS armed with this reg, bring your AZ waiver and your required statements and let them know that is all that is needed.  If they require anything else, tell them that you need to see that reg that states otherwise. Regs are in place for a reason.  If all else fails, go to the base commander armed with information. Nowhere does it state that there is any requirement for a notarization from clergy.  It is ridiculous to request this because people can be of the same religion and still have different objections.  There is enough ingredients in vaccines to insult every major religion.  They should not ask you what religion you are and you should not answer them.  It is also stupid of them to say that there are still 3 that are required - that goes against the meaning of EXEMPTION.

A lot of these people are so brainwashed into thinking that vaccines are required that it never occurs to them of the exemptions (if you do not know, they will not tell you - another form of don't ask, don't tell).  You have to be armed with information and be clear about your rights.  You have to be confident about what you are doing and be nice about it. :o)

I hope that this helps some.  Do not give up!  They can 'control' the active duty spouse but they cannot control the civilians in your family.

#37 of 41 Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM

I tried to PM cubbbyaf, but I guess I am too new of a member to be able to send PMs.  

I guess I need to try to post a bunch of threads.  

Anyway, my son attends the CDC on an AF base and we filed a religious exemption letter.  The director told me that this was not the proper placement for my son since they do not accept religious exemptions.  I provided the AFI regulation.  However she proceeded to tell me that they follow multiple regulations, including the DOD (which she said trumps the AFI).  She stated that the DOD does not allow religious exemptions.  She seemed to be telling me that the CDC follows multiple regulations from multiple sources (how convenient).  It does not make sense to me since she said she is sending my letter to AF head quarters, yet at the same times says that they do not follow AFI because they follow the DOD policies.  

I am hoping to get some input from others.  Also, cubbbyaf stated that she had some contact info for someone at HQ that could clarify all of this for the CDC director.  

Hope someone reads this since it is an old thread.

Thanks!!!

#38 of 41 Old 09-12-2012, 07:59 AM

I need help ladies for anyone out there still reading this!

I'm trying to find the AFI that will allow me to submit religious exemption. I know there is the Army reg previously posted on this site. DH said that we can't use that because we're on an AF installation.

FCC is telling me that they only allow exemptions for medical purposes (which I know has to be BS). Does anyone have any of the AFI's that state I can file religious exemption?!

HELP! Thanks!!!!

BTW, I did find this, but I need more....

AIR FORCE

Quote:

AFI 34-276 is the AFI that governs Family Child Care.
http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/share.../AFI34-276.pdf

Page 53. "A5.40.3. The provider maintains medical information for each child, including permission to treat emergencies signed by the parent(s), child’s allergies, chronic illness and other known health prob-lems, and immunizations (or written documentation of parents’ objections for religious reasons). This information is recorded on the AF Form 1181, Youth Flight Patron Registration Form."

#39 of 41 Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 PM

Someone just linked me this thread when we were talking about CYS and vaccine exemptions.  Wondering if anyone has used the religious exemption while still partially vaxing.  I don't plan to stop vaxing mine, but I am skipping many of the vax...  I don't know if I could legitimately claim that x vax was ok, but y vax was against my religion...  My main reasons for not choosing certain vax is that I don't feel the risks of the disease outweigh the risks of the vaccine...

Generally it's not an issue and I don't even care as much about the daycare center (though it'd be nice to get respite care next time DH deploys), but I'm mainly looking to be able to enroll my kids in the various programs like swim lessons/etc...

Susan, mama to Catherine (June 2008); Becca (April 2010); John (January 2012); and Julia (EDD August 2013)
#40 of 41 Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 PM

The regulation was just updated in November 2013. Here are all versions since 1995:

AFI 48-100_IP (dated 07 October 2013), Paragraph 3-5 (b)

http://www.apd.army.mil/jw2/xmldemo/r40_562/main.asp

3-5. Department of Defense, U.S. Coast Guard schools, childcare centers and youth programs

a. As a condition of employment, schoolteachers, childcare center workers, youth program workers, and volunteers are administered appropriate vaccines against communicable diseases in accordance with ACIP adult immunization schedule recommendations, unless already immune, based on seroimmunity, physician diagnosed illness, or documented proof of immunization.

b. Children attending DOD and USCG-sponsored primary and secondary schools, childcare centers, or similar facilities are required to be up to date on all age appropriate ACIP-recommended vaccines for children unless there is documentation of previous immunization, religious exemption, or medical contraindication. For foreign-national children outside the United States, observe host country recommendations or requirements.

---

AFJI 48-110 (dated 29 September 2006), Paragraph 3-2 (b) (4)

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_ja/publication/afji48-110/afji48-110.pdf

(4) Department of Defense schoolteachers, daycare center workers, and children attending DOD–sponsored schools
and daycare centers or similar facilities on military installations. As a condition of employment or attendance at these
facilities, schoolteachers, childcare center workers, volunteers, and children attending DOD–sponsored primary and
secondary schools, childcare centers, or similar facilities are administered appropriate vaccines against communicable
diseases unless already immune (based on documented receipt of vaccine series or physician–diagnosed illness) or
medically/administratively exempt. For rubella, immunity is based only on documentation of immunization or laboratory
evidence of immunity. Administer influenza vaccine annually to schoolteachers, daycare workers, and volunteers.
In addition, all other age appropriate ACIP–recommended vaccines for children are required unless there is documentation
of previous immunization, religious exemption, or medical contraindication. Installation medical staff will collaborate
with DOD school and daycare center authorities to ensure effective immunization screening procedures. Local
MTFs will appoint liaisons to these facilities to ensure understanding and compliance. For foreign–national children
outside the United States, observe host country recommendations or requirements.

---

AFJI 48-110, (dated 01 November 1995) Paragraph 21.4

http://www.operationalmedicine.org/ed2/Instructions/AirForce/48011000.pdf

21.4. School teachers, day care center workers, and children attending DoD-sponsored schools and
day care centers or similar facilities on military installations. As a condition of employment or attendance
at these facilities, school teachers, child care center workers, volunteers, and children attending
DoD-sponsored primary and secondary schools, child care centers or similar facilities are administered
appropriate vaccines against measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, and polio, unless
already immune based on documented receipt of vaccine series or physician-diagnosed illness. For
rubella, immunity is based only on documentation of receipt of vaccine or laboratory evidence of
immunity. Administer influenza vaccine annually to school teachers, day care workers and volunteers.
Children under the age of 7 years receive pertussis vaccine in ACIP recommended dosages
unless there is documentation of previous vaccination, religious waiver, or medical contraindication.
Children under age 6, particularly those attending DoD-sponsored day care facilities, are provided
vaccine against Hib, in ACIP recommended dosage regimens appropriate for their age. Installation
medical staff will collaborate with DoD school and day care center authorities to ensure effective
immunization screening procedures during registration.

Wife to an Air Force bomb disposal technician since June 2008

Mama to a breastfed, family-bed-sleeping, cloth-diapered, non-vaccinated, baby-worn, beautiful little lady, born April 2012 after 3 LONG years trying to conceive

Praying for another baby and a successful home water birth after cesarean...
#41 of 41 Old 01-09-2014, 06:59 PM

This is the letter I had the pediatrcian sign for the CDC:

MEMORANDUM FOR ALL DOD AND USCG-SPONSORED PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS, CHILDCARE CENTERS, OR SIMILAR FACILITIES

SUBJECT: Religious Exemption For Vaccination

1. I, >Sponsor's First M. Last<, am hereby exercising my right to declare a religious exemption to vaccinations on behalf of my dependents due to their genuine and sincere religious beliefs.

2. This exemption is IAW AFJI 48-110 (dated 07 Oct 13), Para 3-5 (b), which states:

Children attending DOD and USCG-sponsored primary and secondary schools, childcare centers, or similar facilities are required to be up to date on all age appropriate ACIP-recommended vaccines for children unless there is documentation of previous immunization, religious exemption, or medical contraindication. For foreign-national children outside the United States, observe host country recommendations or requirements.

3. Because AFJI 48-110 is the Air Force’s official policy on vaccinations, this exemption is IAW AFI 34-248, Child Development Centers (dated 01 Oct 99), Para 11.2.1, which states:

Do not provide care to children without immunizations required by Air Force policy unless it is an emergency.

4. The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. This ruling is also reflected in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion.

6. This declaration of exemption is valid for any and all DOD and USCG-sponsored primary and secondary schools, childcare centers, or similar facilities, regardless of location, for any and all vaccinations for any and all dependents, regardless of their dependency status (including foster and/or adoptive children), for an indefinite amount of time.

>SPONSOR'S FIRST M. LAST, RANK, SERVICE<<br />

1st Ind, >Administative or medical personnel's Rank First M. Last<<br />
TO: >Sponsor's First M. Last<<br />
1. I hereby acknowledge this declaration IAW AFJI 34-248, Para 2-6 (3) (d), which, in reference to religious exemptions for “other exemption categories” states:

Administrative or medical personnel will appropriately annotate electronic ITS with exemption codes denoting separation, permanent change of station, emergency leave, missing or prisoner of war, deceased, and other appropriate categories.

2. I have counseled you that dependents with waivers will be excluded from applicable programs in the event of vaccine preventable communicable disease outbreak.

Taximom5 likes this.

Wife to an Air Force bomb disposal technician since June 2008

Mama to a breastfed, family-bed-sleeping, cloth-diapered, non-vaccinated, baby-worn, beautiful little lady, born April 2012 after 3 LONG years trying to conceive

Praying for another baby and a successful home water birth after cesarean...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page