Bad, bad pedi experience - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-30-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1-year old check up a little early because I wasn't expecting them to have an appointment open. At first the nurse thought we were there for a sick baby, so she only took his temp. 10 minutes of waiting, she come back and asks "wait are you here for a physical?". After finding out yes; speculation of if he is old enough for the appointment being 11m, 1 wk old because he needs the 1y vaccines, and being told that he isn't vaccinated because of religious beliefs, she weighs and measures DS. We wait another 45 minutes for the DR, who comes into the screaming. -What do you mean he isn't vaccinated because of religious beliefs?- What does religion have to do with vaccines?-You have to explain this because he has to be vaccinated!- She then proceeds to make fun of my religious beliefs, plays the dead baby card, the you are going to kill other kids card, explains that all these "educated parents" are just being bad, what if he wants to go to college, he can't CHOOSE to be vaccinated himself because I have modeled bad behavior, made fun of my work as an Audio/Visual Technician "so you are used to shining lights on the tiny things in the background that should remain hidden" and then told me that I have to have DS vaccinated against Hep B because my husband is lying to me about not having sex with other people, and I probably have it.
She was disgusted that DS isn't circ-ed saying "you guys decided against a LOT of stuff, and told me you have to retract to get the pus out."

She was also surprised that he could sit unassisted after knowing he can walk across the room. I have heard of bypassing crawling, but sitting?
#2 of 23 Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM

Dr. should have paid you for the visit.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#3 of 23 Old 03-30-2010, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's disgusting behavior for a human being, let alone a pediatrician. Needless to say you won't be returning to that office right?

On my way out I would have told that ped exactly what I thought of her and where I think she should go. Maybe not the most adult behavior, but it sure would feel good

I'd also file a complaint with the AMA against her.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 23 Old 03-30-2010, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
To file a complaint, click on your state medical board on this page:
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/educ...l-boards.shtml
Then locate the complaint section. Good luck to you. I am sorry to hear about your experience.
#5 of 23 Old 03-30-2010, 02:59 PM

So sorry, Mama! No doctor has the right to treat a client that way. You are her client & she serves as a medical advisor to you, never a medical dictator. Her scare tactics are despicable. So sorry you had to go through that!
#6 of 23 Old 03-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Awful. She has every right to believe in vaccines but that's not what this is about. It's not even just unprofessional; the contempt she showed you is inappropriate for ANY relationship, not just a professional one.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#7 of 23 Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspieMom View Post
and then told me that I have to have DS vaccinated against Hep B because my husband is lying to me about not having sex with other people, and I probably have it.
This is grossly inappropriate. This alone is reason to report her to the medical board. You have an almost one year old. If your child had been infected at birth, you would know by now. Plus, the odds of this being true anyway are so low that the comment borders on malpractice.
#8 of 23 Old 03-30-2010, 04:22 PM

I'd file a complaint with the medical board . That is abusive behavior.

Though, if you are vaxed you could have said that your parents modeled vaccination for you, but you chose otherwise.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#9 of 23 Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 PM

Seriously. File a complaint. That is AWFUL!!
#10 of 23 Old 03-31-2010, 09:13 PM

Holy crap. Talk about unprofessional.
#11 of 23 Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 PM

Go in and get your records, NOW, before he doctors them up...so to say.

File a complaint with your State and county medical board against the nurse and the doctor. They made you wait and then insulted you.

You are the parent of this child. NOT them. YOU call the shots, so to say, and if your religious beliefs do not permit the vaccination of you own child, you are the parent and you have made the decision.

Find a family practitioner or naturopath or chiropractor as a primary care doctor; that is, a doctor who does not depend on WBC and vaxes for his main income.
#12 of 23 Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 PM

Who does she think she is, Dr. House?
#13 of 23 Old 04-01-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspieMom View Post
because my husband is lying to me about not having sex with other people
oooh its a good thing that was not our family....DH would have leveled her flat.....

ita - file a complaint. with everyone - the office, the AMA, the AAP, the hospital where this dr has privileges (all, if more than one), and anything else i cant think of right now....
#14 of 23 Old 04-01-2010, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
LOL!!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#15 of 23 Old 04-01-2010, 10:45 AM

YOU NEED A NEW DOCTOR!! ASAP!!!

Sadly I have heard almost the exact same comments.

You won't believe the world of difference it is now that we have a doctor more in line with our beliefs & who respects our choices! We leave appointments now feeling happy & optimistic instead of beat up, we really ENJOY seeing our doc!!

I'm so sorry you were treated that way.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#16 of 23 Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM

I would file a complaint.

Also, well baby checks are kind of pointless, in my opinion. Their only purpose is to vaccinate and obssess over food (when are you weaning? How much food does he eat? What percentile is he in? If he is breastfeed, he surely is anemic...). I just don't see a doctor unless there is an actual problem. Doctors are not vaccination experts, they just follow a schedule.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#17 of 23 Old 04-05-2010, 12:11 AM

And the medical community wonders why some educated parents are not fond of them!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#18 of 23 Old 04-05-2010, 03:08 AM

Yikes, this pediatrician sounds horrible. I noticed that you are in the san jose area, as I live in silicon valley also. Can you provide the name of the doctor either through a PM - I would like to avoid that practice.
#19 of 23 Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
LOL

And please file a complaint. This is too horrific for words! A person like this should not be a medical practitioner.

And a big to you of course. You must feel awful.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#20 of 23 Old 04-05-2010, 07:12 AM

So, so, unprofessional, inappropriate, mean, nasty, UGH! I'm sorry you had to listen to that. My very first ped visit alone with ds (8 weeks old, my first baby) the ped had me in tears. Now I know better, and it taught me that I will never take that abuse again and I'll just walk out in the middle of the exam if I find us in an abusive situation!
#21 of 23 Old 04-05-2010, 11:20 AM

Other posters and I have advised you to make a professional complaint to the state, county and or local medical board. You should know that if you mention vaccines, that the complaint may be ignored. You should complain more about the UN-professional behavior than why the doctor went on this rant.

Again, get your records and find a more sympathetic hcp.
#22 of 23 Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 AM

:Puke

That is the most vominouns display of professionalism I have ever heard of. Im appalled for you. That doctor is REALLY lucky I wasnt her patient. She would have gotten her own toungue lashing she wouldnt have soon forgotten.
#23 of 23 Old 04-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There are websites where you can reveiw doctors. I would write a review on that doctor so other parents are warned. I would also file a complaint with the AMA and the AAP. Totally unprofessional.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page