medicaid laws - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i dont know if anyone knows anything about this or not.
i went to the new pedi today and was told i needed to find a new pcp.
fine by me.
anyways they would not let me cross out what i didn't agree with on the vaccine refusal form (the old pedi always let me). so i told them i was not going to sign it then.
thats when they said find a new dr.

someone told me if your child is on medicaid and does not go to well checks that cps can get you for child neglect.
i called to ask medicaid and no one at medicaid can tell me if this is true or not. they tried telling me my child has to have vaccines to go to school blah blah, i informed them of the law and exemptions and kindly explained thats not the issue here.
they are having a supervisor call me back , but
in the mean time does anyone know about the requirements of medicaid in Louisiana?

tia ladies.
#2 of 9 Old 04-13-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy121 View Post
someone told me if your child is on medicaid and does not go to well checks that cps can get you for child neglect.
This is a concern of mine as well. I stand firm on no vaccines, but I think this is why my daughter has these "wellness" checks every 4 weeks. The doctor always strips her and looks over every millimeter of her body, like she's looking for, or expecting to find, evidence of abuse because we non-vaccinating parents must be abusive. I share the same concern that if we don't keep going to these appointments, CPS will be called. I was told it's "deprivation of medical care." Even if a child isn't sick.

Please share what you find out.
#3 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You may want to look into using a family doctor instead of a pediatrician. We switched and our family doc is more relaxed than most pediatricians.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 PM

I know it can vary from state to state, but we're in Missouri, and I've never encountered any issues from not vaccinating and not doing well child visits when on Medicaid.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#5 of 9 Old 04-15-2010, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We're in Colorado and I've never had any issues.

#6 of 9 Old 04-15-2010, 12:12 AM

It's a concern of mine here where I live. It's part of why I haven't opted to use medicaid... that and my doctor (who agrees with my philosophies and actually treats me like a person) doesn't accept it. I qualify but I would rather make some effort to pay out of pocket than be forced into vaccines somehow on charges of neglect.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#7 of 9 Old 04-15-2010, 05:45 PM

We have Medicaid, do not vax, and after 6 months only see our doctor annually or as needed. We haven't had a bit of trouble.

I assume you got a list of doctors who accept Medicaid - get it out and look for family practices. Then call them and ask their vaccination policies and how often the expect to see your child. The state has way too much to do to keep track of you - they will only be alerted if someone reports you, and someone will only report you if they think no vaxes and a check up a year are harmful to your child. So obviously you want a doctor who doesn't think that way.

When we were looking I met with the first doc on our list. First he asked what was wrong with my son, why did I bring him in? That was a good sign for me, because it told me he was someone who wanted to see ill/injured people, not healthy ones. He wasn't going to think I was neglecting my kids just because he only saw them once a year. Later, when we were leaving he said "Oh yes, if you want any vaccinations please let us know before the appointment because I don't keep any in the office". Bingo!

I'm thinking more on this, and I've heard these same stories, but does anyone actually know of a real CPS case over vax status alone (with no other neglect or abuse issues, I mean)? I just think maybe this is one of those myths designed to scare people into either vaxing or not using Medicaid.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#8 of 9 Old 04-16-2010, 06:22 PM

I don't vax and DS1 has been on medicaid since they day he was born over 3 yrs ago. AFAIK theres no system to call cps around here if you don't show up for checks... I stopped taking DS1 when he was 9 months old. He didn't see a doc till just about a month or two ago, when I decided to take him to DS2's pedi so they would have him on 'record' as a patient (my old family doc who I took DS1 to and *was* planning on taking DS2 to has since stopped seeing kids till there 7+!!). I need to call up and make another apointment actually for a school physical for him for pre-school (through Head Start - they didn't even blink when I handed over the exemption form .
#9 of 9 Old 04-16-2010, 07:02 PM

i'm in nc and my 13 month old is unvaxed and never been to a wbv. we have medicaid for emergencies only. never gotten contacted by cps or medicaid because of this...i doubt they have time or resources to go through the files of every child on medicaid looking for consistency of dr visits.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page