Just wanted to share :) re:vax free and overseas assignment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have been soooo worried about today. We got an assignment to Japan. DH is a recruiter (Airforce) so we had to travel 4 hours to the closest base and stay 2 days in TLF to see the doctors on base here. We were sure we were going to be denied and have to go fight the overseas screeners about the vaccination issues. I never mentioned that we didn't vax and they did say we needed to fax their vaccination records once we got back home. I never said that we had them or didn't have them, I just said "ok" and left it at that. Then DH and I had our appointments. The doctor for me mentioned overseas vaccinations and I said I don't vaccinate for religious reasons. She just shrugged her shoulders and said "Oh, in that case we are done" even with a smile! After all 4 kids, DH and I had been seen, we headed over to EFMP to hand over all the paperwork. The doctors kept all the kids papers to wait until they received our fax, but put all the info in the computer system. I told the gentlemen in the EFMP office that we don't vaccinate for religious reasons and held my breath for a fight. I even had an entire folder of info printed out (like regs, etc.). He just smiled and said "Oh, ok, Don't worry" I just smiled ear to ear and finally exhaled. He looked in the computer system and saw all the notes and said we didn't even need to fax the medical records! That we were all done and he would be meeting with the doctors etc. tomorrow for the clearance meeting and would be sending all of our paperwork over then. He mentioned I would need an exemption for school on base and even told me to fill out the paperwork that I homeschool my preschooler to not have to worry about anyone saying anything about school shots. He seemed very knowledgeable about non vaccinating and moving overseas. I even asked again because I was in disbelief. He told once again that we were done, not to worry and everything was going to be ok

I could have cried.

We do still have to deal with passport applications tomorrow. I tried to take our own passport pics and upload them to a free site that is supposed to measure them etc. and sent them to Walgreens. That was a huge help since we can't afford $35 for passport pics. Hopefully the pics are good enough and they accept them.

I just had to share with someone who may understand. Most of our family members don't even know we don't vax because we would never hear the end of it, and all my friends vax. I had given up on any hope that it would be easy.

Don't give up! I am just so thankful to have gotten someone who knew what they were talking about!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 12:39 AM

That is so awesome. I'm glad it was such an easy experience for you!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:30 PM

Wow! I kept expecting trouble while reading this!

Shouldn't the military pay for passport photos?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Grace- View Post
Wow! I kept expecting trouble while reading this!

Shouldn't the military pay for passport photos?
They will reimburse us when we file our travel voucher, but we don't leave until 5 months from now so we have to pay out of pocket first. We then found out that they would do it on base if DH had his squadron account number. He called the squadron and someone told him to just pay for it ourselves, like we have the money laying around hehe.

They accepted the pictures I took
Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 PM

Thats amazing! I have heard horror stories about overseas assignments and non-vax! Im a sooo glad that you didnt have a problem!!! What a relief it must be!!!! YAY!!!! Enjoy Japan!!!

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We

User Tag List