So ... do you vaccinate your pets? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nope didnt vax my cat and when i went to get her spayed. i had to lie to get around it i told them that i had just had her given to me and she was up to date on her shots. she is a outdoor/indoor cat.
#32 of 46 Old 04-17-2010, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgrok View Post
Rabies is endemic where i live, many wild animals carry it. We've even had two cases where rabid animals entered a person's home and attacked, once the person, one case their pet. So heck yeah, I'm vaccinating for that, but only every 3 years for my dogs, and yearly using a nonadjuvanted vaccine for my cats.
Question for you.... why don't you use the 3-year rabies vax for the cats? Do all the 3-year rabies vaxes have adjuvants? And how would I go about finding out how to get a non-adjuvant vax for my cat? Usually they just give whatever they have, don't they?

At our vet's, it used to be a 3-year vax, then last time I took her they switched to a 1-year vax. I thought it was some kind of gimmick to get the cats back in every year (and pay for another vet visit every year, whether you need it or not). Personally, I'd rather not have to do this more than once every 3 years.

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

#33 of 46 Old 04-18-2010, 12:39 AM

we board ours cuz we travel often, so we have too but we dont do it unless we are sure we are going somewhere... poor babies.

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#34 of 46 Old 04-18-2010, 01:26 AM

I selectively vax my cats and dogs. I think the risk of parvo and distemper for my dogs is real and more serious than the vaccine side effects. I update them every 3-5 years, depending on whether they're boarding. I do rabies in my dogs as required by law, since they're city dogs who are constantly out and about.

I vaccinated my cats when they were young, and not since then. They're mostly indoors.

KimPM: If it's the 1-year non-adjuvanted rabies vaccine by Merial (PureVax) it is definitely preferable to any of the adjuvanted options. For many cats it is the adjuvants that can cause bad reactions. My understanding is that they're working on getting it approved for a 3-year vaccine.
#35 of 46 Old 04-18-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
Rabid animals who have lots of "wilderness" to claim as territory are less likely to come into contact with your pet.
... If any were rabid, they would be much more likely to come into contact with domestic creatures than if they were out in the boonies.

O.K.

IF wild animals have so much wilderness territory to claim then why do they come onto my relative's property to bother and eat the chickens and other animals who are outside and available? Animals do not know from property lines or property rights. And after over ten years of wilderness living, these dogs and pets have only died from old age in their sleep after 15-20 years of life, not hydrophobia OR some VPD.
#36 of 46 Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
We only vax our dogs for rabies because if something were to happen and they would bite someone and we don't have proof of rabies vax, they destroy the animal.
Thats why we chose to get our dog the rabies shot. She jumps the fence sometimes and if she bites someone, I want to show them that she was at least vaccinated for rabies. Plus we go on lots of hikes in the woods where she runs freely and chases animals. I dont plan on getting her the shot every year, more like every 2 or so years.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#37 of 46 Old 04-18-2010, 11:07 PM

No and no heartworm pills either.

However, my dogs are very much indoor dogs, they are tiny so they get all the exercise they need indoors. When we travel, we hire a professional petsitter to do overnights at our house. Under these circumstances, it's not a difficult choice.
#38 of 46 Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 PM

Im a vet tech and we see a parvo case at least once a week, imof since i have been there we have had 5 puppies die of parvo. AND we i have seen personally 7 dogs be diagnosed with heartworms in the last 2 months.

I understand not wanting to put unnecessary toxins in your animals, however, you should be really really certain about the transmission of these viruses, and know when the vax are necessary. A 4 month old puppy that goes on walks or has other pets as neighbors should have their DHLPPC shot, and all animals should get heartworm prevention, just like flea and tick prevention.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#39 of 46 Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 PM

My vet is a homoeopath, and has a very strict policy of not over vaccinating, so when he tells me I need to get a certain vaccine, I do it. The only ones he is adamant are the Lyme vaccine, distemper and rabies. The rabies he will only do every three years (except for that first year). In order to licence your dog in my city, you must have a valid rabies certificate. I licence my dog because its the law, and because I see it as part of being a responsible pet owner.

The few times I've boarded the dog and have needed the bordatella vaccine, the vet's given it only after ranting about how ineffective it is, and asking if I really have to go on vacation.

I do give heartworm meds because, as someone already mentioned, the treatment is so much worse than the preventative.

Ironically, the reason I decided not to vaccinate my child is BECAUSE the vet told me about how detrimental over vaccinating is to dogs. I started looking into it, and decided that if it was bad for my dog, it was probably bad for my baby too.
#40 of 46 Old 04-18-2010, 11:39 PM

Oh- and just because its interesting:

o deworm her animals, my aunt (who owns an herb farm over run with cats to control the mice and chipmunks) swears by horseradish root- she allows it to root in their water bowl, and maintains that it works to get rid of the worms. (not heartworm- just the other intestinal parasites.) I can't find any written documentation of this method, nor can I say it works from experience- my dog won't leave it alone long enough for it to root- he likes to eat it.
#41 of 46 Old 04-19-2010, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My cat (who passed away this past february) had a vaccine reaction about 7 years ago and nearly died then. After that we stopped vaxing the cats. They're indoor only and we don't really take them with us all over the place so I had stopped thinking about it there. It wasn't until I had kids that I thought any further about vaccines.

The second cat got her 1st year worth of vaccines before we stopped vaxing, but hasn't been vaccinated since.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#42 of 46 Old 04-19-2010, 01:31 AM

nope. they are very healthy cats. I hope to keep them like that. I do de-worm them, but that's another boat of potatoes.
#43 of 46 Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caned & able View Post

O.K.

IF wild animals have so much wilderness territory to claim then why do they come onto my relative's property to bother and eat the chickens and other animals who are outside and available? Animals do not know from property lines or property rights. And after over ten years of wilderness living, these dogs and pets have only died from old age in their sleep after 15-20 years of life, not hydrophobia OR some VPD.
I have no idea. Possibly because the animals are outside, available, and can't get away? Sounds like an easy meal.

At any rate, the rabies vaccine is far more about protecting humans than it is about protecting your dog or cat.
#44 of 46 Old 04-20-2010, 04:42 AM

I feel that if we stopped vax'ing the humans in this house we have to also stop vax'ing the non-human companions :-) which we did!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#45 of 46 Old 04-21-2010, 06:22 PM

Both of our dogs came to us fully vaccinated as part of the adoption process. I believe we had to show proof of follow up shots as part of the adoption agreement for the first round of shots. After that, we only did rabies for our male dog when required by the vets office prior to surgery.

Our cat had initial vaccines as a kitten, and then none after that.

Now that I know better, we will selectively vaccinate all future pets (only to the extent required by adoption agreements). Rabies would be the only one I would get past any initial required shots, and only as needed to ensure treatment by a vet. Where we live does require rabies for a dog license, but we have yet to get one. We keep our dogs fairly well isolated from other dogs, and there does not seem to be a lot of vaccine preventable diseases in our area (at least to my limited knowledge).

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#46 of 46 Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 PM

Yes, I vaccinate my pets. Some of the things they can catch without vaccines are deadly. I've seen firsthand the devastation wrought by parvo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page