"unvaccinated babies up north dying from measles"?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 05-11-2010, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
It would be illegal for a doctor to share such information if they had it.
Generally speaking, if the "identifying information" is separated out, then no.

I think that everything the CDC recommends a vax for is a reportable disease, so some of that information would be available through the state as statistics, and I would expect some sort of "outbreak" report at some point.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#32 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 09:38 AM

Hey, maybe your doc is psychic, because apparently there's been ONE (1) confirmed case of measles in Minneapolis. Haven't confirmed first-hand but my coworker is on a mailing list that got a memo from our infection control department notifying of the case.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#33 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 10:47 AM

To tell the truth, very few doctors have ever seen a true case of measles, so how would any of them know?

If a child is fully vaxed and has measles, most doctors will not diagnose measles because it makes them and the vax look bad.
#34 of 43 Old 05-15-2010, 08:03 AM

I live in southern NJ and remember hearing about a measles outbreak a few months ago (I think the outbreak was in NY). Anyway, I didn't hear of any deaths and I also heard that 70% of the individuals who contracted the measles during the outbreak were actually vaccinated for the disease.

All in all, I think she is trying to scare you.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#35 of 43 Old 05-15-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caned & able View Post
To tell the truth, very few doctors have ever seen a true case of measles, so how would any of them know?

If a child is fully vaxed and has measles, most doctors will not diagnose measles because it makes them and the vax look bad.
Or chickenpox for that matter! I know of 2 cases where they misdiagosed them 2 different doctors

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#36 of 43 Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 AM

Protocol in diagnosing a VPD and procedures in reporting the case varies from state to state in the US. Many doctors are reluctant to go through the paperwork and reporting protocol. It may involve much time and therefore $, so it would be cost effective to report each particular case as something else as a viral fever or rash with fever, for example.
#37 of 43 Old 05-15-2010, 10:44 AM

MandyF, the outbreak you mentioned was of mumps not measles.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#38 of 43 Old 05-16-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysBlue View Post
MandyF, the outbreak you mentioned was of mumps not measles.
Now that you mention it, it was the mumps. thanks for clearing that up.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#39 of 43 Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 AM

We had a little boy visit here a few wks ago who ended up w/ measles. Huge scare, everyone worried. AFAIK he didn't even pass it to anyone here and he was at the zoo, MANY people there. We're more Midwest though than up North.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#40 of 43 Old 05-29-2010, 04:58 AM

Yes, one of the very last times we saw a ped for a "well baby" checkup, which then in my mind and heart is forever changed to, "pressure you to vax by fear mongering and distributing mis-information" our kind ped informed me that, "It ain't gonna be those crazy anti-vaccination hippies standing by your child's bedside when he or she is dying from chicken pox illness...it'll be me..and where will your hippie ways have gotten you then"... Yeah, he was actually sweating he took it so badly. Never did he cite actual examples, or experiences, just raged with hatred at anti-vax'ers.

I suppose there are about as many incorrect assumptions on his part in that statement as there are syllables, but to knit pick, I thought it was funny that he lumped me in with "crazy hippies." I'm a conservative independent Christian quiverfull mom. Don't get any more "non hippie" than that. I guess we aren't allowed to have a free-thinking brain, though...we should just go mainstream and line up for shots cause' others do?

We are up in Northern Idaho, close to the Canadian border. I haven't heard of any outbreaks, except for the whooping cough outbreak the local news is blaming on a resurgence of the disease due to people who haven't gotten their kids vaccinated.

Blessed Christian Wife and Mother to 5 +Oliver James-Our 10 lb 9 oz born Labor Day 2010!
#41 of 43 Old 05-29-2010, 05:19 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
Or chickenpox for that matter! I know of 2 cases where they misdiagosed them 2 different doctors
the other thing is, because they soooo strongly think that a vax'ed child cant get vaxed for crap , they think there is no way the child could have xyz.

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#42 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 07:34 AM

Even if it were true that babies up north are dying from measles...now with so many women having been vaxed, they aren't transferring as much immunity onto their babies as they would had they acquired the disease naturally. So the immunity wanes quickly and leaves babies more exposed to catching measles at a younger age.

caffix.gif

#43 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caned & able View Post
When a parent tells a story of a child having a vaccine reaction, it is anecdotal evidence.

When a doctor tells a story of a child dying from a VPD, it should be considered anecdotal evidence, but for some reason, it is given more weight. Why?
haha, yeah!

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page