ER experiences? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 05-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Two of my kids have been to the ER for various things (stomach pain, injuries, etc.) and they ask our vax status, I tell them we don't vax, life goes on. Never been given grief and I am certainly not in anything even slightly considered a "crunchy" area.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#32 of 44 Old 05-09-2010, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dealt with an ER doc who tried to punish me via my child. It does happen. Trying to order a spinal tap for an ear infection was rather ridiculous.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#33 of 44 Old 05-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Honestly, as much as I would hate for my children to have to undergo painful or invasive testing, I'd rather they be done to rule out suspected infections, instead of just being ruled out (and possibly overlooked) under the assumption that a vaccine did its job, kwim? We haven't had any ER visits yet, but when dd was born I got the "immediate spinal tap" lecture from the staff, and got a real kick out of their speechlessness when I asked "So, she's going to get more thorough care if she's not vaccinated?"

#34 of 44 Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post
I dealt with an ER doc who tried to punish me via my child. It does happen. Trying to order a spinal tap for an ear infection was rather ridiculous.
That's awful.

OTOH, I've seen a lumbar puncture ordered when the child appeared fine - aside from being febrile. Sometimes docs/nurses do things that may seem over the top, but there can be a reason behind it.

Perhaps I just work with a really good team? It's a very big hospital too - a level one trauma centre. All these ED horror stories are really upsetting... I feel awful.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#35 of 44 Old 05-10-2010, 11:29 AM

We've only had a couple of ER trips in 9 years (at least at my house, I'm remarried and share custody with my older 3.) The first time my oldest had a stomach bug at 9 months and being a new parent I was worried she was getting dehydrated and took her in, no questions asked. Recently one of my twins ran into a staircase at her dad's house and her stepmom freaked out and wouldn't listen to me on the phone saying that head wounds bleed a lot but slow down and she was probably fine. So we had to meet them at the hospital because of our insurance. Of course it had stopped bleeding by the time they got there and after the doc checked her out and saw she was just fine, he was walking out and said "She's up to date on all her shots?" And I just replied "yep." That was the end of it. I have learned for my sanity that I do my best not to offer more information than is necessary. If it was a VPD then I would be completely honest but a head wound into a staircase does not warrant an MMR or a lecture as far as I'm concerned. The best part about that ER visit...we picked up H1N1.

homebirth.jpgMama to 4 girls and forever missing Bright 6/12/10. Married to my best friend and dreaming of the day we leave the city for chicken3.gif
#36 of 44 Old 05-10-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegrrl View Post
The best part about that ER visit...we picked up H1N1.
This is one of the many reasons I didn't do WBV for him. He would have been going to the clinic every couple of months during flu season...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#37 of 44 Old 05-10-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post
I had a similar experience with my oldest when we took her to the ER urgent care to get her ears looked at (after a few hours of a high fever-she had some ear infections before and I felt bad for her knowing how painful they could be). The doctor found out about her vax status and wanted to do a spinal tap. I said "no way". Some arguing ensued and we ended up being discharged.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#38 of 44 Old 05-10-2010, 04:47 PM

i took 17mo ds to the ER for croup one night around 1am. he was drooling and crying and gagging and i was terrified. so i took him and the admitting nurse asked and i said he is not vaxed at all and she gave me a "look". then the ER doc asked and i said it was against our religion. he said "oh you are Jehovah witness" and i said kind of and gave him the feeling it wasn't up for discussion. he didn't say another thing. he gave ds an xray to check for epiglottisitis and then sent us home on tylenol.

#39 of 44 Old 05-11-2010, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I remember we were asked about our DD's vax status when she was almost 2 years old and has dislocated her elbow (popped it out of joint). I looked at the nurse like, "huh? what does that have to do with her elbow," and just said "delaying." Honestly, it's not even an open wound.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#40 of 44 Old 05-14-2010, 01:29 AM

The only time dd needed to go to the ER, which was for stitches, I lied and told them she was vaxed. Considering we weren't there for an illness dx I felt no guilt for lying.
#41 of 44 Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceinwen View Post
That's awful.
Perhaps I just work with a really good team? It's a very big hospital too - a level one trauma centre. All these ED horror stories are really upsetting... I feel awful.
There may be ER stories here, not sure: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...scaremongering

Tell the ER docs that your kid isn't vaxed?! (1 2 3 )

Any experience with ER visits/non-vaxing? (1 2 )

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#42 of 44 Old 05-14-2010, 03:06 PM

If I am sure we aren't dealing with VPD then I say yes, we are up to date, because as far as I am concerned, we are.

My friend told the triage nurse that her son was not vaxed and proceeded to be grilled by her for 20 minutes. She was so upset she left the hospital without being seen.

When the whole family got whooping cough, I had a hard time convincing our PCP that we had it, even though he knew the kids weren't vaxed. Of course, the insane coughing stopped as soon as we got to the Dr.s office.

When ds needed stitches, noone even asked if he was vaxed- I figure they probably assumed that he was. I went back to the same urgent care for my own stitches a month or two later. The nurse told me the doc would be giving me "good" pain meds when she saw my wound. After I refused the tetanus shot, the Dr. immediately became cold. She didn't say anything else to me for the rest of the procedure and did not give me a Rx. I didn't think about it til the shot wore off and the pain was BAD. I called the urgent care back and asked the nurse if there was something I could take. She was VERY surprised the doc hadn't given me anything. She came back on the line and said the doc told me to take motrin. Hmm.

wave.gif
#43 of 44 Old 05-14-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 little birds View Post
When ds needed stitches, noone even asked if he was vaxed- I figure they probably assumed that he was. I went back to the same urgent care for my own stitches a month or two later. The nurse told me the doc would be giving me "good" pain meds when she saw my wound. After I refused the tetanus shot, the Dr. immediately became cold. She didn't say anything else to me for the rest of the procedure and did not give me a Rx. I didn't think about it til the shot wore off and the pain was BAD. I called the urgent care back and asked the nurse if there was something I could take. She was VERY surprised the doc hadn't given me anything. She came back on the line and said the doc told me to take motrin. Hmm.
Isn't that lack of care or something? It should be illegal to do this!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#44 of 44 Old 05-14-2010, 05:39 PM

When I take the kids to the ER for injury I tell them they are up to date. If I where to ever take them for illness that I wasnt sure what it was I would tell them I was religiously opposed to vax. The reason is because I would want them to check for everything which they would not do if they thought they where up to date.

I dont have the time or the patience to take the chance our no vax status might cause problems.

When I took ds in for stitches I knew they would want to do the tetanus vax. Since I told them he was up to date it wasnt a problem. A week later when I took him in to the ped. for the stitches to come out the Dr. wanted to know if I wanted the tetanus shot then I looked at her oddly and said isnt it to late for that? and she stood there and actually said oh no it is not to late at all. I refused and she had me sign a paper saying I refused. I dont know what is worse the fact that she was OK with lying to me or the fact that she may not know any difference herself.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page