Questions re: Chicken Pox - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Mods, feel free to move this if necessary)

My non-vaxed son will soon be receiving t-shirts and lolli's from 2 different people whose kids are currently experiencing chicken pox (hooray!). But IF he gets it, I'm wondering if there are legal considerations in mailing a chicken pox infested t-shirt or lolli through the USPS. I would wrap them in a ziploc bag before packaging, but is it considered dangerous or illegal to knowingly mail a disease-covered item??

Also, am I under any obligation to let the doctor or dept. of health know that my son has an outbreak? I'm just wondering if he'll need doctor-documented information down the road. Last year, we had an exchange student who had not received a varicella shot b/c she had experienced natural pox as a child. She had to have a note from her doctor in order to get into the American high school. So while I would normally NOT bring my son to the doctor, I'm thinking I may want to for future planning. But, I'm also worried that pox showing up randomly in my area would alert them to my receiving pox through the mail.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or input on all of the above

TIA!!

Wife to one amazing man, unschooly mama to 2 boys daily (8/99 and 6/06), mom to 4 boys (6/94 and 2/00) and countless exchange students, praying to someday homebirth a daughter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-11-2010, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
unless you file an exemption you would not need to have the Dr. verify

only problem you may run into is later on in life (as an adult) if your child needs proof of CP or vax you will have none to give and if it is needed your child would than need to be vaxed because you can't just say you had it, titiers aren't always accurate

I would have it documented.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 8 Old 05-11-2010, 12:00 PM

Yes, it actually is illegal to send chicken pox through the USPS.

I definitely would have it documented to avoid having to miss potentially weeks, even months, of school down the road if there is an outbreak. We went to our very non-vax friendly naturopath and she confirmed it was CP and gave us a letter.

No, you don't have to report it to the "authorities" but if you report it to the school (like I did, out of consideration - big mistake) they will likely contact the health dept. who will then call you and act like it's the end of the world as we know it.
#4 of 8 Old 05-11-2010, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
States vary as to whether they'll accept parental recall or a doctor's note or titers in lieu of vaccination, so depending on your state and whether you move in the future, that plays into whether getting it documented will be helpful.

I would not notify anyone. We had a prolonged coughing illness last fall, noticeably different from any other illness I've dealt with before, and I just kept us home instead of testing to see if it was WC and dealing with official annoying-ness.

And I have the same understanding as the PP about sending (and presumably knowingly receiving) CP through the mail.
#5 of 8 Old 05-11-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess we may go to the doctor if he gets spots and I will just say we were visiting the friend who mailed them to us and dare them to prove otherwise I feel pretty badly now about asking people to mail shirts to us, though. While it's important to me that my son get pox naturally, I'm feeling guilty for asking people to break the law Then again, if he gets spots, I will probably willingly ship out shirts just to help others... it's a tough call.

Wife to one amazing man, unschooly mama to 2 boys daily (8/99 and 6/06), mom to 4 boys (6/94 and 2/00) and countless exchange students, praying to someday homebirth a daughter...
#6 of 8 Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
we were visiting the friend who mailed them to us
Why would you even say this? You are opening yourself up!!

You got from a friend. How you got it is not your Dr. concern (It shouldn't be-people are getting all the time from vaxed children) just like people use to get it-from friends, you go it the same way--minus saying--the shirt in the mail.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#7 of 8 Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 PM

I wouldn't even bother trying to explain where your child got CP. My son got it. We have no idea where from. We are guessing on a shopping trip or something because we didn't know anyone who had it and we didn't try to purposly expose him. Though we were planning to if he hadn't gotten it on his own. He didn't pass it on to anyone either his big brother was vaxed for it and DH and I got it as kids.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#8 of 8 Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post
Why would you even say this? You are opening yourself up!!

You got from a friend. How you got it is not your Dr. concern
No, no, I wouldn't say the person mailed it to us - I was thinking about epidemiology. The person who sent them to us lives in NY, so I'd say, "We visited a friend in NY and we found out her kids got it after we left." I'd never mention the mail or deliberately exposing my kid or they'd probably have CPS knocking on my door.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page