make me feel more confident about not vaxing for measles and pertussis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 05-14-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have decided to not vax at all, and have a 3 year old and 4 month old. the diseases i am most worried about are measles and whooping cough. what makes you confident that you can get through these diseases without vaxxing>? just need some reassurance. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 44 Old 05-14-2010, 05:32 PM

Measles is a mild disease in a healthy person. It is easily treated with extra vitamin A & C drops. I feel no concern about measles after reading about all the VPD's. Pertussis is a bit more scary for a small child. It is generally a pain in the hiney but not fatal. I feel no concern over catching pertussis with my 3 year old son, other than how annoying and uncomfortable it would be. I don't put my child in day care so I don't worry as much about it. One of my close friends had two completely vaccinated boys who both got whopping cough at the same time. This seems to be common with whooping cough. It is on the rise and seen often in vaccinated children. Even my son's doctor says he sees many cases in his practice with both vaccinated and unvaccinated children. This vaccine is really not that affective. Also, I read somewhere here on MDC that buffered vitamin C given at the outset of WC can prevent the cough from getting so bad.
#3 of 44 Old 05-14-2010, 05:51 PM

Watch this video. It will make you feel much better about measles
#4 of 44 Old 05-15-2010, 01:25 PM

While I never worried excessively about measles (my cousin had it in '89 when the vax failed, and he was the happiest spotty kid I'd ever seen LOL!), what finally took away any last concerns was what I read in a set of medical books we picked up from 1919. In a day with poorer hygeine, less access to medical care, no antibiotics, etc. measles wasn't even a concern. Their emphasis was to keep the person quiet during the initial stage and if you did that there should be no issues from it (according to the experts of the day). If they weren't concerned about it, then with all the advances we have today I sure see no reason to be overly worried about it myself!

Whooping cough sucks, there's no two ways around it. But the vaccine doesn't prevent it, so it doesn't really matter if you vax for it or not imo. Apparently last year before we moved in here, there was a 2 week lockdown on our entire neighborhood because every house had it. I know of a couple kids with asthma who live here, and no one was even hospitalized to my knowledge, much less died from it. There is some research out there that suggests having it may even serve to strengthen the lungs though I don't know if that's true.
#5 of 44 Old 05-15-2010, 03:34 PM

I'm on the fence about the pertussis too. I don't see any need to vax my baby against tetanus or diptheria but the pertussis scares me a bit. I've read that it's usually dangersou in little ones and that deaths are almost unheard of after 6 months. We EBF and don't use daycare, so I was comfortable skipping this vax and just hoping to get through the first 6 months without incident (DD is 3.5 months now.)

However, we've planned a trip for the end of June (when she'll be almost 5 months) that will take us on an airplane and then in close contact with four children--two grade or middle school aged and two toddlers--and this concerns me a bit. So now I'm not sure what to do. If the trip were going to happen after Ela turned 6 months I'd be comfortable just taking the risk, but since she's not even going to be 5 months I'm worried and considering the vax.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#6 of 44 Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post
Watch this video. It will make you feel much better about measles

so regarding this episode of the brady bunch, is this a realistic portrayal of what people used to go through- really??? because then I would be as concerned with measles as I am with chicken pox- not at all. I guess at that time they had no reason to glamorize getting the mealses, but it seems like no big deal which I wasnt expecting.

thanks!
#7 of 44 Old 05-16-2010, 06:15 PM

To my knowledge, yes, that is how the disease was viewed. My mom was sent to three different friends houses when they had the measles and never came down with a case. If it was seen as some deadly disease, there is no way her parents would have been sending her around trying to get her a case of them. She said she was jealous of her friends who got to stay home from school and was upset that she never got them.
#8 of 44 Old 05-16-2010, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMOM07 View Post
so regarding this episode of the brady bunch, is this a realistic portrayal of what people used to go through- really??? because then I would be as concerned with measles as I am with chicken pox- not at all. I guess at that time they had no reason to glamorize getting the mealses, but it seems like no big deal which I wasnt expecting.

thanks!
As a survivor of measles, along with my brother, cousins and every kid I grew up with, yes, it is a realistic portrayal. I remember not feeling great and having to stay home from school for a week. But it really wasn't a big deal in the least. My mother nursed us back to health without the use of vitamin A or C supplements. We just got over it with TLC.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#9 of 44 Old 05-18-2010, 02:56 AM

And they've done to chickenpox what they've done to measles. I had a "friend" call me to warn me against skipping the chickenpox vaccine b/c she had read that lots of children diiiieeee.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#10 of 44 Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 PM

I think you should follow your heart and worry less about what other people think!!

Of course, if it helps, the vaccinations with my in-laws stopped when our nephew caught the whooping cough from the vaccination and almost died, and that was many moons ago. He's in his early 20s now.
#11 of 44 Old 05-19-2010, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My husband had severe reactions the DTP, including having a really bad case of whooping cough. That is the main reason we chose to forgo vaxxes. (I hadn't heard of the whole MMR/Autism thing until a few years ago and my oldest is almost 10.)

We've never had a VPD in our household with 5 totally unvaxxed kiddos, so not much dealing going on. We just try to eat well and practice good hygeine and I've bf'ed them all for at least 2 years. We also don't do daycare/school so they are not in situations where most of these outbreaks occur.
#12 of 44 Old 06-06-2010, 06:10 PM

After a lost of research we stopped vaxing when my second son was about 1 year old.

Last week my fourth child (completely unvaxed) came down with whooping cough. It is not a "pain in the hiney" or a "nuisance" it is HORRIBLE. There were a few days I was about to lose my mind I was so afraid he'd pass out or die in my arms in the night There is no possible way you can understand how bad it is until you see YOUR child not breath, or cough until he's bright red, tears streaming ... and then start again. My son never even turned blue or vommitted (thank you Lord) but it was still awful, awful, awful.

Im not trying to scare anyone just to offer my experience. At this point, as he recovers from the WC and the double pneumonia he got as a result , we are all planning on getting the DTaP (boosters for dh, the two oldest and me and the 3 dose series for my youngest two). Even if it means they can still get it but get a milder case its worth the risks IMO (and yes I know them, I researched very thoroughly for years). Again, no one can understand unless they've been there.

and trust me, you dont want to be.

Rachel: Jesus-loving, homeschooling mom to Noah (8), Caleb (6), Jayna (4), Abram (2) and Faith (8/10) candle.gif. Married 10 years to a wonderful man who puts up with all my researching and weird food
#13 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo3Blessings View Post
After a lost of research we stopped vaxing when my second son was about 1 year old.

Last week my fourth child (completely unvaxed) came down with whooping cough. It is not a "pain in the hiney" or a "nuisance" it is HORRIBLE. There were a few days I was about to lose my mind I was so afraid he'd pass out or die in my arms in the night There is no possible way you can understand how bad it is until you see YOUR child not breath, or cough until he's bright red, tears streaming ... and then start again. My son never even turned blue or vommitted (thank you Lord) but it was still awful, awful, awful.

Im not trying to scare anyone just to offer my experience. At this point, as he recovers from the WC and the double pneumonia he got as a result , we are all planning on getting the DTaP (boosters for dh, the two oldest and me and the 3 dose series for my youngest two). Even if it means they can still get it but get a milder case its worth the risks IMO (and yes I know them, I researched very thoroughly for years). Again, no one can understand unless they've been there.

Why in the world would you get your kid a vaccine for a disease he already had? If he HAS it (or HAD it) he now will have natural immunity to the illness and does not NEED the vaccine. A vaccine is something you do BEFORE a child gets the VPD.

You may have good intentions but it is simply too late for the vaccine to help him. That's like saying "My child just got chicken pox and I regret not vaccinating him for that so I'm going to get him the chickenpox vaccine as soon as I can!"

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#14 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 03:00 AM

Pertussis is the vpd that scares me the most. Unfortunately, the pertussis vaccine is fairly ineffective, doesn't provide immunity until after the age range I'm worried about, and has some of the most troubling side effects/complications.

It's frustrating; the vaccines that I'm fairly comfortable with (like IPV, or HepB) are for diseases that I'm not concerned about, and the vaccines for diseases that I'd actually *like * to vaccinate for are all terrible.
#15 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
At this point, as he recovers from the WC and the double pneumonia he got as a result , we are all planning on getting the DTaP (boosters for dh, the two oldest and me and the 3 dose series for my youngest two). Even if it means they can still get it but get a milder case its worth the risks IMO (and yes I know them, I researched very thoroughly for years). Again, no one can understand unless they've been there.

I don't get it either. You do realize that once you get WC then you have lifelong natural immunity right? Your LO is now safe from the illness as is anyone else in your household who also got it. And because WC is so infectious if you didn't get it that means you probably already have lifelong immunity. So honestly there is really no reason to vax anyone in your household.

I have been there done that, my DS was fully vaxed and got a mild case of it when he was older (2 yo or so). I'm not sure if he got a mild case because he was vaxed or because he was older. Then my DD at 11 months just got over a nasty case of WC she was also fully vaxed. I feel confident about not vaxing any future children (or continuing on with boosters) because the vax doesn't work. Plus I happily didn't get WC while I was taking care of my LO's, DH got a mild case. I was pretty happy that I have lifelong immunity from some past infection and not the junky short term immunity that the vax's give you.
#16 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
As I stated previously, the whole reason we chose to forego DTap was due to my husbands horrible reaction DTP, which he was fully vaccinated with. Everything you stated your son went through was what my husband was going through off and on for four years. He had seizures also. (The acellular version still has the risk of seizures associated with it and therefore is contraindicated for *my* kids because of family history.) So, yeah he gets that it sucks and experienced it first hand.
#17 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmum35 View Post
Why in the world would you get your kid a vaccine for a disease he already had? If he HAS it (or HAD it) he now will have natural immunity to the illness and does not NEED the vaccine. A vaccine is something you do BEFORE a child gets the VPD.

You may have good intentions but it is simply too late for the vaccine to help him. That's like saying "My child just got chicken pox and I regret not vaccinating him for that so I'm going to get him the chickenpox vaccine as soon as I can!"
I think another PP said this as well
Quote:
ou do realize that once you get WC then you have lifelong natural immunity right?
This is not correct in the case of pertussis. One can get pertussis multiple times in their life....natural immunity for this disease is sometimes short-lived. That's the problem. They have found immunity to range anywhere from 4-20 years after a natural infection and anywhere from 4-12 years after vaccination. That is quite a big range. I certainly wouldn't count on either in terms future protection!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#18 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
I think another PP said this as well This is not correct in the case of pertussis. One can get pertussis multiple times in their life....natural immunity for this disease is usually short-lived.

Thanks for sharing your experience MomTo3Blessings. I am so sorry whooping cough is giving your LO such a difficult time. I'm still not planning on vaxxing for it, but, I think your truth is very important to hear s.

caffix.gif

#19 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:

I'm so sorry you are having to endure this...you know there are several things that you can give that will drastically reduce his coughing.

please read these threads carefully. This info is from a former poster who went through WC multiple times with her unvaxed children.

http://beyondvaccination.com/showthr...ral-management.

http://beyondvaccination.com/showthr...ng-cough-worse.

Also I know that it is too late, but for any future cases. It is documented that antibiotics prolongs the coughing. I do realize however that you were giving it to prevent infection to others in the house and that he has pneumonia. I hope he is on the mend soon. Please please start giving sodiumk ascorbate to bowel tolerance. So many parents have had great luck with it.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#20 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 12:00 PM

Momto3Blessings wrote:

>Last week my fourth child (completely unvaxed) came down with whooping cough. It is not a "pain in the hiney" or a "nuisance" it is HORRIBLE. There were a few days I was about to lose my mind I was so afraid he'd pass out or die in my arms in the night There is no possible way you can understand how bad it is until you see YOUR child not breath, or cough until he's bright red, tears streaming ... and then start again. My son never even turned blue or vommitted (thank you Lord) but it was still awful, awful, awful. <

I am sorry you and your son had to go through that! It sounds VERY scary!! I just wanted to ask you how you treated it? Did you use Sodium Ascorbate at all? If so, what dosage did you use? The reason I ask is because I have heard that SA does wonders in treating WC and making it more mild. I hate the thought of my baby (completely unvaxed) getting WC, but I hate the thought of the vaccine too! Especially when I hear that MANY people who are vaccinated still get it!! So, it comforts me to think that I could help my child get through it and make it more mild with SA!!
#21 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Again, no one can understand unless they've been there.

And no one wants to be in that situation from the vaccine either. Even the mainstream acknowledges the reactivity of the pertussis and tetanus components to the extent that anaphylaxis, encephalopathy, and brachial neuritis are tabled reactions to these vaccines. I've come across far more people whose children exhibited cry encephalitis than had a serious bout of pertussis.

My son had it at two years (partially vaxed and nursing often) and passed it to me who was 5.5 months pregnant and fully up to date on the vax (military). I've had pneumonia before this as a college student and a mean bout of bronchitis since and pertussis was a unique experience--I had every symptom in the book including the vomiting.

It is a risk whichever choice you make. I viewed the risk from a vaccine (with limited efficacy) that I allowed to be deliberately injected, to be greater than the likelihood that my children would just happen to contract a serious case of pertussis; and for us this was true. I attacted every sniffle and cough with sodium ascorbate and their only two significant illnesses (which the whole family caught) was some beastly respiratory illness when they were 3 and 5, and another a year later resulting from ds' pinkeye infection--he coughed until he was bright red and tears streaming; it's the only time we took him to the doctor for a cough.

In any case, your child is old enough that I would not be as concerned about a reaction from the vaccine; I understand that Dr. Sears' book has information about immune support (vitamins and such) when vaccinating.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#22 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
I think another PP said this as well This is not correct in the case of pertussis. One can get pertussis multiple times in their life....natural immunity for this disease is sometimes short-lived. That's the problem. They have found immunity to range anywhere from 4-20 years after a natural infection and anywhere from 4-12 years after vaccination. That is quite a big range. I certainly wouldn't count on either in terms future protection!
Interesting...I've recently read an awful lot of info from multiple sides on WC because my LO just went through that illness. All sources stated lifelong immunity. Would you mind giving me your source for this information? I'm not trying to be snarky I'm just genuinely curious. If this is true then there is a whole TON of misinformation about WC out there (which doesn't surprise me much).
#23 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harli View Post
Interesting...I've recently read an awful lot of info from multiple sides on WC because my LO just went through that illness. All sources stated lifelong immunity. Would you mind giving me your source for this information? I'm not trying to be snarky I'm just genuinely curious. If this is true then there is a whole TON of misinformation about WC out there (which doesn't surprise me much).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15876927

http://iai.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/69/7/4516

Quote:
In conclusion, our results show that the immune responses induced by primary pertussis vaccination are qualitatively and quantitatively similar to those seen in children who recovered from natural infection and highlight the need for booster immunization with pertussis vaccines in order to maintain adequate levels of a specific immune response to B.

#24 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM

For a different WC experience . . . I had it about 18 months ago, as did my son, who was then 10 months old and not vaccinated. I got antibiotics because I could just tell what was coming on was going to be awful, although I had no idea it was pertussis. He didn't get any antibiotics because he didn't seem as sick and his case appeared later.

It's not something I enjoyed, and not something I'd like to do again, but it wasn't the end of the world or anywhere near the worst illness I've had. Yes, I had the awful coughing. I even cracked a rib or two from the coughing. It's spasmodic and uncontrollable and it does make your face turn red and your eyes water. It does result in a funny sound (when you inhale after a fit, there's a sort of gasping noise - guess that's the "whoop"). I thought I was being a bit histrionic making the noise but my son made the same noise, so I guess it's just part of the process.

It lasted a long time, and the recovery from the cracked rib took a long time, too. My son fared much better than I did. I think he was sick for about 2 weeks and then got better; I was sick for about 4 weeks - first week flu-like symptoms, next 3 weeks coughing primarily.

My daughter didn't seem to catch it, although there wasn't any real attempt to prevent transmission. She received one DTaP at 7 mos and had a bad enough reaction that we decided, with her doctor's input, not to further vaccinate her. She was 2.5 years old at the time.

My husband also didn't get it. And I'm fully vaccinated, at least with respect to the DTaP. He hasn't had a booster in ages (15+ years)

I guess having had it I'd say yes, it was unpleasant, but it wasn't exceptionally bad and I'm not frightened of it. It'll be more or less severe for different people, and I'm sure taking the antibiotics early on didn't particularly help me out. It was about the same, for me, as a very bad cold or a mild/moderate flu with the obnoxious coughing being more intense and lasting longer than would otherwise happen with a flu/cold.
#25 of 44 Old 06-07-2010, 05:16 PM

Thank you for posting this OP!

My dd was vaccinnated through the age of 3 when we stopped vaccinating and our next child will not be. The only one I was on the fence about (I've already decided not to do the others) was pertussis. I had seizures as a result of the vaccine so I have always been leary of it, but the whole WC thing was concerning. Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences and knowledge!

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#26 of 44 Old 03-05-2011, 09:30 PM

Sorry for not replying - life was crazy at the time I posted. this is a REALLY old thread but I wanted to come back and say a few things

Quote:
You do realize that once you get WC then you have lifelong natural immunity right?

I have read several different sources that say, as the PP mentioned and linked, that the immunity is not life long. Ive read it can be as little as a few months to a few years protection.

The worst part of it all was that my son gave it to his friend who was also unvaccinated. He was even sicker than my son was, his face would turn blue when he coughed, etc. My son had bilateral pneumonia within 1 week of the cough sounding "weird" at night.  He was a very sick little boy and the pneumonia could have killed him. I researched vaccines for FOUR years, Ive read the horror stories, the vaccine inserts, etc. etc. etc. I dont regret not vaxing, I know I made the right decision for our children at the time but now Im unsure what to do.

At the time I posted I was frantic and all for getting the vaccine. Im a photographer and worked with newborns often and the thought of passing something like that to a sweet baby and then them dying is horrifying. After seeing my son, a strong, big, 2yr old suffer and cough FOR OVER 100 DAYS I can understand why most newborns dont make it.  The little boy who we gave it to had an infant sister. Thank God she did not get it - but I cant risk it again.

Even if my son is immune that doesnt mean the rest of us are. My daughter did cough a light cough for several months but I have no way of knowing if that was allergies or WC. Either way the risk of giving it to someone else is worse than the thought of us getting it again. We live in close community and my son exposed  ALOT of babies and other children and I am just so incredibly thankful none of them got it (most he was exposed to were vaxed).  I have always said Id never sacrifice my children's health to protect others - its a hard, hard choice now and not so black and white.

just my two cents. thankfully, almost a year later, my son is ok now but he does revert back to that nasty cough whenever he picks up a cough/cold. I still pray that the effects are not life-long.

Oh! and to answer about the Sodium Ascorbate - yes! We used it and I did see an improvement once we did. Thankfully my son was thirsty and drinking helped his attacks stopped so he drank sippy after sippy after sippy of water with SA and elderberry. My friends son wouldnt drink at all so it was a lot harder with him.

Rachel: Jesus-loving, homeschooling mom to Noah (8), Caleb (6), Jayna (4), Abram (2) and Faith (8/10) candle.gif. Married 10 years to a wonderful man who puts up with all my researching and weird food
#27 of 44 Old 03-06-2011, 05:38 AM

I would recommend the book Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child by Janet ZAND. The book will give you allopathic and alternative health options when your child has these 2 diseases. Fact is your child can die from any illness given the right circumstances.Having treatment options and knowing the disease will give you more confidence to deal with it,and you will  know when you need to get outside help.

It is interesting  how we all have our own diseases we worry about.Mine 2 main ones have been meningitis causing illnesses(so many things can lead to meningitis!) and tetanus.

#28 of 44 Old 09-04-2012, 01:23 PM

I don't want to vaccinate my 2 year old with the DTaP because I believe any vaccinations should be done separately, and slowly over time, to allow the immune system to deal with it better.  It is somewhat unnatural for the immune system to get hit with 3 totally different bacterias at once.  I'd consider it if there was a pertussis only shot, but it is not available.  I'm concerned about pertussis since it is on the rise in Colorado, but I'd rather keep my little guy's immune system high and hope we don't get it.  My MD said the main reason to vaccinate was to help keep other babies safe (such that if we get it, we don't  transmit it to babies under 1).

#29 of 44 Old 09-04-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:

I'm there. As I type, my 6 week old preemie (a triplet born at 32 weeks) has diagnosed pertussis. She was home from the NICU for about 10 days when I found her in her crib struggling to breathe. 30 mins later, on our way to the ER, she stopped breathing completely. I held her, on the side of the road waiting for the ambulance to arrive, and I *knew* she would die. I knelt on the ground holding her, saying "goodbye baby, goodbye baby" over and over again. She was resuscitated in the ambulance and was released for the second time last week. 

As you know, this lasts weeks. So she is still in the racking, horrific cough period. And yes, I totally agree with you that it feels like they will die in your arms. My DD does turn blue, and vomit and her eyes roll back and her back arches and she screams in pain. Its the most awful, terrifying thing I have ever experienced in my life. I wish I could take it from her. 

And I'm a 'non vaxxer'. Except, when I found out I was pregnant with triplets and my mind was reeling, and we realized that I would have likely preemies coming home as my older 5 children started school, I went against my beliefs and better judgment and I got them up to date on DTaP before the babies arrived- the only vaccines they have ever had. And even though I knew that no vaccine is 100%, all I could think of as they told me that she had pertussis, was how impossible it was because my other kids were vaccinated (and she has never been around anyone else). 

I deeply regret my decision to vaccinate my older children. Because it didnt help my triplets, and it was something I allowed to be put in my kids that I should have never done. I am embarrassed for myself if I am honest. I have always been a firm non-vaxxer and confident in my decision. Then, when I was emotionally weak, I feel like I failed ALL my children. I should have done more research and tried to lower their risks in other ways. And even that might not have worked and we would be here anyway dealing with this hell. 

Vaccinations are not the answer. 

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#30 of 44 Old 09-04-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoafireteam View Post

I'm there. As I type, my 6 week old preemie (a triplet born at 32 weeks) has diagnosed pertussis. She was home from the NICU for about 10 days when I found her in her crib struggling to breathe. 30 mins later, on our way to the ER, she stopped breathing completely. I held her, on the side of the road waiting for the ambulance to arrive, and I *knew* she would die. I knelt on the ground holding her, saying "goodbye baby, goodbye baby" over and over again. She was resuscitated in the ambulance and was released for the second time last week. 

As you know, this lasts weeks. So she is still in the racking, horrific cough period. And yes, I totally agree with you that it feels like they will die in your arms. My DD does turn blue, and vomit and her eyes roll back and her back arches and she screams in pain. Its the most awful, terrifying thing I have ever experienced in my life. I wish I could take it from her. 

And I'm a 'non vaxxer'. Except, when I found out I was pregnant with triplets and my mind was reeling, and we realized that I would have likely preemies coming home as my older 5 children started school, I went against my beliefs and better judgment and I got them up to date on DTaP before the babies arrived- the only vaccines they have ever had. And even though I knew that no vaccine is 100%, all I could think of as they told me that she had pertussis, was how impossible it was because my other kids were vaccinated (and she has never been around anyone else). 

I deeply regret my decision to vaccinate my older children. Because it didnt help my triplets, and it was something I allowed to be put in my kids that I should have never done. I am embarrassed for myself if I am honest. I have always been a firm non-vaxxer and confident in my decision. Then, when I was emotionally weak, I feel like I failed ALL my children. I should have done more research and tried to lower their risks in other ways. And even that might not have worked and we would be here anyway dealing with this hell. 

Vaccinations are not the answer. 

I've been thinking about you.

The really sad thing about your daughter contracting pertussis is that it's entirely possible that she got it in the hospital, maybe even from a fully vaccinated nurse or doctor.

I hope this is a distant and unpleasant memory for your family soon.  You did NOT fail your family, at all.  You did what you thought was in your family's best interests.  It's such a hard decision, but you made an educated one - and while I'm a non-vaxer as well, I likely would have vaccinated the older children in your case too.  At the very least, maybe it has given some protection to the other two triplets and/or your older children.

(((hugs)))

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page