My Vax Waivers (US Army) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-22-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, here we go. I've had several people ask me about these over the past couple of years so I'm going to post them to the forum and maybe they can be stickied for future refrence. This is what I had to do to get a religious exemption while stationed in Germany. They *should* work for any Army instilation (though you may have to inform the recipient that they are valid). I will (obviously) be leaving my childrens name out and using pseudonyms, you would place your own childrens names in their place. There are three memo's so I will make replies for the other memo's.
______
MEMORANDUM FOR COMMANDER
SUBJECT: Request for Accommodation of Religious Medical Practice

1. Under AR 600-20, paragraph 5-6, I request accommodation of my religious medical practice. I desire to exempt my dependant children from vaccination requirements.
a. Suzy Jane Smith, DOB 1 January 2000
b. Jane Alison Smith, DOB 2 January 2001
2. The following enclosures are provided to assist the commander to evaluate my request:
a. Statements from others who know me and the religious medical practices/requirements of my faith group.
3. I understand the accommodation, if approved, is only valid for this unit and this commander.
4. Copies of this request may be retained in Government records.
5. Point of contact for this memo is the undersigned at 555-1212.

Quote:
Just a note to explain the above....
1. Pretty self explanitory... add all your kids on seperate lines, include their date of birth. 2. The "statements" is the letter from the chaplain (see additional post below for an example of the letter my chaplain wrote for me). 3. "government records" would be the service members file or the medical records. You can change it to read 'medical records', I took this straight from an example I found online a couple years ago. 5. Point of contact should be the commanders contact information. The signature block is the commanders information. Example:
JOHN J SNUFFY
CPT, MP
Commanding
Will post the other two memo's in replies to this message.

Army wife and sahm to: Aime(20), Jordan(17, birthmom), Morganne(16), Sami(5), Kasi(4), Madi(1)
#2 of 17 Old 05-22-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Memo from Chaplain...
The Chaplain will likely want to write their own memo, but sometimes it helps to already have one that they can either work from or simply sign (especially if it already has their signature block at the bottom).

____
MEMORANDUM FOR RECORD
SUBJECT: Religious Support Assessment regarding Immunizations

1. This memorandum is in support of a request by (service members rank and name) and his spouse (name) requesting exemption from immunization requirements for their children.
2. Religious accommodation regarding spiritual beliefs is inherently personal, subjective and often times difficult to assess motive. Some religious practices and beliefs are not predicated on an authoritative document. The research I conducted produces no primary document that specifically prhoibited immunizations but rather addresses the issue of allowing "unnatural" substances to enter the body. While some may interpret this as a medical arguement rather than a religious issue, it is difficult to seperate the issues.
3. Conclusion: Some soldiers/family members will not allow their children to be immunized as a matter of conscience based on their religious believes. Only the agency requesting immunization can assess the public health issues and grant a waiver. In this case, it appears to be an issue of conscience based on religious conviction.
4. POC is the undersigned at 555-1212.

Quote:
Keep in mind, your chaplain will use what you present to them as your religious conviction and will write the memo based on that information.

Army wife and sahm to: Aime(20), Jordan(17, birthmom), Morganne(16), Sami(5), Kasi(4), Madi(1)
#3 of 17 Old 05-22-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

This was the hardest memo to get and the one that, while I do not agree with the language of it, was the ONE that I needed most to use the CDC on post.

1. MSG Joe Smith and spouse Jane Smith have requested child care from (military community name...eg, USAG Stutgart) Child Development Cervices and participation in the Child and Youth Services Sports program for their children:
a. Suzy Jane Smith, DOB 1 January 2000
b. Jane Alison Smith, DOB 2 January 2001

2. MSG Smith and spouse Jane Smith have requested an exception to policy from the immunization requirements set forth in AR 608-10 in consideration of their religious beliefs.

3. Mrs Smith was counseled by the Landstuhl Public Health Officer on (date) the following:
a. Failure to follow the recommendations about vaccination may endanger the health or life of her children and others with which they may come into contact.
b. Their children will be excluded from the child care program in the event of vaccine preventable communicable disease outbreak.

4. Suzy and Jane Smith have been granted exception to policy from the immunization requirement IAW AR 608-10. The exception is valid until the children are disenrolled from the USAG-Stutgart Child Development Service.

5. POC is the undersigned at 555-1212.

Quote:
This is the letter you will have to get from the community health nurse (or equivelant). It was the one letter I had to fight hardest to get and the one that the CDC would not admit my girls without. Obviously you would put the correct names in place of the pseudonyms and the appropriate location instead of USAG-Stutgart.

#4 of 17 Old 05-22-2010, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

For DODDS school, they tried to tell me that they didn't accept the memorandums. They would ONLY accept the DoDEA Form 2942.0-M-F1 DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE EDCUATION ACTIVITY CERTIFICATE OF IMMUNIZATION. The school nurse told me to mark out the "medical reasons" in the exemption section (last page) and write in "religious". On the "Immunizations" like write "ALL". For "Reason", write "RELIGIOUS EXEMPTION IAW AR600-20. Below that line but above where the doctor signs his name, write "FOR DURATION OF DODDS TENURE" (so you don't have to hope you get another doc who will sign off on it when this one expires). Have the doc sign and date it and you're good to go (especially since its THEIR form that the doc would be signing). The trick, of course, is to get a doc to sign it. I got lucky on that one and ended up with a military doc/ped who was willing to "agree to disagree" and signed it.

I really hope this helps you mama's!

#5 of 17 Old 05-25-2010, 04:48 AM

Just to help anyone out...

For DoDEA schools
With MeniacleBrat's help and based on the DoDEA manuel 2942.0M (Student Health Services Manuel) Sect. F.2 http://www.dodea.edu/foia/iod/pdf/2942.pdf
I just enrolled my son at Ramstein Elementary with:

1. Form 2943 (Department of Defense Education Activity Request for Exemptions from Immunization)
http://www.dodea.edu/docs/forms/form_dodea2943.pdf
In block 4. I wrote "See Attached"
2. Attach a notarized letter written by the parent(s).
(see below)
"Sample Letter" I found on Mothering:

To whom it may concern;

We, _______________________ and _____________________ as the parents of ___________________, are exercising our rights under the US Constitution, Army Regulation 40-562, BUMEDINST 6230.15A, AF JI 48-110, CG COMDTINST M6230.4F , section 3-2, paragraph 4 and Army Regulation 608-10, section 4-6, to receive Religious Exemption from Vaccination, due to our genuine and sincere religious beliefs which are contrary to the practices herein required.

The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee v. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. This ruling is also reflected in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion.

Sincerely,

It was easy!

DS blahblah.gif 10/04, DD upsidedown.gif 05/08, DS bouncy.gif01/10, DS  thumbsuck.gif Due 09/13
#6 of 17 Old 04-19-2012, 07:53 PM

The link to the 2943 form was broken.  I believe I found a fixed one!  http://www.wies-ms.eu.dodea.edu/Exemption%20form_dodea2943.pdf

#7 of 17 Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindygerecke View Post

The link to the 2943 form was broken.  I believe I found a fixed one!  http://www.wies-ms.eu.dodea.edu/Exemption%20form_dodea2943.pdf

Thank you SO much! I am new to the boards here, and have found a couple of helpful forms here already. My husband just received orders to Heidelberg, Germany, and we head out at the beginning of 2013. I have a question that I am having trouble finding an answer to, however... I am not planning to use the CDC and my son will only be 13 months old when we PCS... do I need to worry about the exemptions if he won't ever be at the CDC or in a DOD school? I hope someone can answer. If not, I will start a new thread - don't want to hijack this one!

#8 of 17 Old 05-02-2012, 05:36 PM

You will still need to worry about exemptions as they will require that you and your child have 'medical and dental' clearance.   This is generally to make sure that there are not any significant health issues that may not be able to be supported while overseas.   We have orders to Korea for February - my sons and I will have to go through this as well and I am a bit concerned.  We are an AF family going to an Army base and I am not sure how this will fly.  We are requesting Command Sponsorship and I am worried that they may give us a really hard time since my boys are not vaxed.  If you know of anyone that has gone to Korea without vaxed kids, would love to know if they had any problems.

#9 of 17 Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 PM

I feel so confused. Can someone tell me step by step what I need to do to claim religious exemption for my son attending the CDC?  

Do I need to provide The DOD Activity certificate of Immunization?  Or is that just for school age children?

Also, why do you need to provide a letter from the clergy?  I was under the impression that freedom of religion is protected, so they cannot question your religious beliefs.  

I just really need some help because I do not know where to start.  

My son attends the CDC on an AF base.

Thanks!

#10 of 17 Old 06-01-2012, 06:21 AM

Hi Molly,

Here is the section of the reg for Army, AF, CG, and Navy (10 AR 40–562/BUMEDINST 6230.15A/AFJI 48–110/CG COMDTINST M6230.4F • 29 September 2006AFJI 48–110) that states:

(4) Department of Defense schoolteachers, daycare center workers, and children attending DOD–sponsored schools
and daycare centers or similar facilities on military installations.
As a condition of employment or attendance at these
facilities, schoolteachers, childcare center workers, volunteers, and children attending DOD–sponsored primary and
secondary schools, childcare centers, or similar facilities are administered appropriate vaccines against communicable
diseases unless already immune (based on documented receipt of vaccine series or physician–diagnosed illness) or
medically/administratively exempt.
For rubella, immunity is based only on documentation of immunization or laboratory
evidence of immunity. Administer influenza vaccine annually to schoolteachers, daycare workers, and volunteers.
In addition, all other age appropriate ACIP–recommended vaccines for children are required unless there is documentation
of previous immunization, religious exemption, or medical contraindication. Installation medical staff will collaborate
with DOD school and daycare center authorities to ensure effective immunization screening procedures.
MTFs will appoint liaisons to these facilities to ensure understanding and compliance. For foreign–national children
outside the United States, observe host country recommendations or requirements.

You do not need to have a clergy sign anything.   There really is no step by step available because I am going to guess that whomever is at the CDC when you sign up has probably been brainwashed to think that you cannot sign your child up unless they are vaccinated.  

We live in Alabama and I was able to go to County Health and obtain a Certificate of Religious Exemption from Immunization.  

If it were me, I would bring a copy of my certificate, a copy of the reg above and this letter:

To whom it may concern;

We, _______________________ and _____________________ as the parents of ___________________, are exercising our rights under the US Constitution, Army Regulation 40-562, BUMEDINST 6230.15A, AF JI 48-110, CG COMDTINST M6230.4F , section 3-2, paragraph 4 and Army Regulation 608-10, section 4-6, to receive Religious Exemption from Vaccination, due to our genuine and sincere religious beliefs which are contrary to the practices herein required.

The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee v. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. This ruling is also reflected in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion.

Sincerely,

Then, I would go in as nice as could be and let them know that you want to sign up.  When they ask you for the immunization records/info, I would hand them these 3 items and go from there.  If they give you any resistance, refer them to the reg (highlighting the childcare part) and continue to go up the chain until you get to someone who knows how to read a reg.    You can always file an IG complaint as well and let them know you will do that if it is necessary.

I hope that this helps and clears some confusion.

Good luck.

#11 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 PM

Thanks fussamama,

My son already attends the CDC and is partially vaxed...

I am hoping that this does not cause more of a problem.

Then again, I know that anyone can change their religious beliefs at anytime. 

#12 of 17 Old 06-27-2012, 10:16 AM

Molly, I'm at Hill and last year went through this. I wrote a blog post about it, but basically it's what has already been said:  http://lboosmommy.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/military-vaccine-exemptions-for-children/  

#13 of 17 Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 PM

Thank you so much for the info lboosmommy.  I gave the CDC on base a letter stating that we were not vaccinating based on our religious beliefs and cited the regulations (AFI, etc).  The director stated that they do not follow AFI, because they follow the DOD regulations (as these trump the AFI).  Currently, she is passing on our letter up her chain of command, and supposedly it is supposed to go to HQ.  I am afraid this is going to take months and months.  Any suggestions??? I definitely feel like I am getting the run around.

#14 of 17 Old 07-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Hmmm...my son attends a DOD school and they accepted his waiver.  I think you are getting the run around too.  Maybe they are hoping that you will not do your homework and will just 'give in'.    If the Dept of Defense Education Activity accepts a waiver, I assume it is a DOD exemption.  I would ask the person for the DOD reg that she is using for a reference. You can also make and ICE complaint.  Here is the one I used for my DS to attend school on base (http://www.stut-esb.eu.dodea.edu/Exemption%20form_dodea2943.pdf).  I can't believe that the DOD would have a different requirement for the schools as they would for the CDC.  I hope it works out.

#15 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 AM

Supposedly the schools follow different regulations than the CDC.  It does not make sense to me.  It is hard to get a straight answer.  It is difficult to tell whether people are knowledgeable and trying to give me the run around, or are just clueless.  At first I was told, no we do not take religious exemptions, then 15 minutes later was told that my letter will be passed up the chain of command to HQ to see if my waiver is approved.  It has been a little over two weeks.  Not sure if or when I should contact the IG.  I don't even know how to do that.  I will keep you posted....if anyone cares...lol.

#16 of 17 Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 AM

I'm new here, jumping in...  We've been stationed at Fort Huachuca since 2005.  We have 3 boys, all autistic, and 1 adopted daughter with RAD.  From what I have been told, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong (this is definitely be an instance in which I'd like to be wrong, lol), the community health nurse on post has the sole discretion to refuse vax exemptions (even religious) for any reason, at least ours here is claiming to and I don't know of a single family here who has managed to get their kids in without vaxxing.  All four of my children have been refused, even though when we adopted my daughter she was UTD with the exception of chicken pox, but we could prove that she had had it via official paperwork.  We went through the process, were forced to have her tested for HIV, hepatitis and every communicable disease they could think of (even though legally we are not required to disclose HIV status, but she is negative)... in the end they said, no, her behavior is too extreme, but they never even saw her or had a chance to witness her behavior.  This was simply from our saying we needed a break from her as she was adjusting to life in a family.  She DOES have extreme behavior at times, but they never witnessed it.  ;)   So I am curious, has anyone won with the waiver/exemption and still not been able to use the CDC due to their child having a diagnosis like RAD or autism?  We currently do not use any sort of respite care or anything.  When our kids went to school on post, they did have a waiver, but Fort Huachuca schools are not DoD schools, they fall under the AZ Dept of Education.  We did have horrible experiences with them and moved off post to get our kids out of that district, the schools in town have also been a pain to deal with, not because of the vax issue, but because of the children's diagnoses.  

Lori

#17 of 17 Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 AM

I'm about to move to Fort Gordon, Ga. Previously we've been at a post which allowed us to choose doctors outside of the MTF so we haven't had an issue. (Our latest doctor is actually the one who convinced us to stop vaccinating) Gordon requires you to go on post (from what I've read) and I'm concerned about it. My ds is up to date on shots but will not get anymore and my dd has only had two and we are done. I am wiccan and can use religious reasons since "do no harm" is a big part of the wiccan rede but how would I get a chaplain to help? Do you know if I need an exemption to use the on post doctors or anyway to be allowed off post? My kids are too to go to school and we will probably home school and I do not use cys. I'm very nervous about this part of the move. Any similar experiences or advice would be awesome, thank you! I will look up the regulation you mentioned in your post :)

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page