help with no vax day care/NOVA area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-26-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi,

We live in the Alexandria, VA area. does anyone have any suggestions for getting my 17 month old son into a day care? He has had no vaccinations and may get a couple but not until he's at least two. The day cares I'm interested in have flat-out refused, even with an exemption form. Are there any day cares who will accept a no vax child? Or am I stuck until he starts school ? HELP!
#2 of 8 Old 05-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Virginia has a religious exemption, so I'm pretty sure that if the daycare accepts any state or federal funds (food program, tuition reimbursement for low-income parents, etc.) they have to accept your exemption. On the state website it specifically lists religious exemption: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...00+cod+32.1-46 (section D). I saw on another page that you can pick up the exemption forms at the health department.

ETA: Nevermind, I see you already have the exemption. Um, have you tried stating the state code to them stating exemptions are legal? Last-ditch, you could try enrolling without saying anything about vaccines, just turn in the exemption in place of the vax record, but then you run the risk of them still not letting you in and then you're left in the lurch. I'm no help, sorry!

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#3 of 8 Old 05-26-2010, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your suggestions. I've only tried at-home day cares and they give me the usual line about not admitting him in order to protect the other ones in their care yadda yadda. i just smile sweetly like a good southern girl. telling them the exemptions are legal has no effect on anyone, so far. but i will definitely try a state-funded place next time - thanks for your help. i'm just getting frustrated!! i swear i'm the only mom in VA who hasn't vaccinated her kids!!!!
#4 of 8 Old 05-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Your law does not mention public or private, it simply states that licensed daycares are not required to have documentation of immunization from those with exemptions.

If your state doesn't have an official form I have a letter; just add your law.
If your state does have a form, I would staple the law from the state website.

TITLE 22. SOCIAL SERVICES
AGENCY NO. 15. CHILD DAY-CARE COUNCIL
CHAPTER 30. STANDARDS FOR LICENSED CHILD DAY CENTERS
PART II. ADMINISTRATION

22 VAC 15-30-150 (2007)
22 VAC 15-30-150 Immunizations for children.
A. The center shall obtain documentation that each child has received the immunizations required by the State Board of Health before the child can attend the center.
Exemptions (subsection C of § 22.1-271.2 of the Code of Virginia and 12 VAC 5-110-110 of the Regulations for the Immunizations of School Children): Documentation of immunizations is not required for any child whose

(i) parent submits an affidavit to the center, on the form entitled "Certification of Religious Exemption," stating that the administration of immunizing agents conflicts with the parent's or child's religious tenets or practices, or
(ii) physician or a local health department states on a MCH 213B or MCH 213C, or other Department of Health-approved formthat one or more of the required immunizations may be detrimental to the child's health.

B. The center shall obtain documentation of additional immunizations once every six months for children under the age of two years.
C. The center shall obtain documentation of additional immunizations once between each child's fourth and sixth birthdays.

Sample Religious Exemption Letter(change the state law reference):

Quote:
To whom it may concern;

(We / I) {First and Last name(s)}, as the {(parent (s) / guardian(s)} of ______________________(name of newborn child) are exercising (our/my) rights under the US Constitution, PUBLIC HEALTH LAW, ARTICLE 21. CONTROL OF ACUTE COMMUNICABLE DISEASES,TITLE VI. POLIOMYELITIS AND OTHER DISEASES, NY CLS Pub Health § 2164 (2002), to receive Religious Exemption from Vaccination, ALL injections, prophylaxis, & testing due to our genuine and sincere religious beliefs which are contrary to the practices herein required.

The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. This ruling is also reflected in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion.

Sincerely,

Your signature.
Date

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 8 Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM

Yay, I was hoping Emmeline would show up! You are an absolute font of knowledge, do you know that?

#6 of 8 Old 06-03-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

many thanks for the info - it was very helpful. now i'm worried about him getting sick from the kids in day carewho've recently been vaccinated? anybody else have any experience with an unvaxed child in daycare? happy to hear anybody's story. thanks.
#7 of 8 Old 06-03-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornoutmama View Post
many thanks for the info - it was very helpful. now i'm worried about him getting sick from the kids in day carewho've recently been vaccinated? anybody else have any experience with an unvaxed child in daycare? happy to hear anybody's story. thanks.
ME, got two kids in full time daycare, neither are vaxxed. I dont think twice about it.
#8 of 8 Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM

Ditto, my youngest hasn't had any vaxes at all and I'm not worried. The diseases that have vaccines that can shed don't really scare me, plus the risk of contracting anything is really low to begin with.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page