PA vaccine exemption - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-31-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

Is Pennsylvania public school really tough on allowing exemptions? I received a packet of info from a private preschool and in the sales cover letter it stated absolutely no exemptions. Is that even legal?

We are thinking of moving to PA. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you
#2 of 17 Old 05-31-2010, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Are you asking about PUBLIC or private?? can't make out from your post

Private can do as they please IF they receive NO state/federal money.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 17 Old 05-31-2010, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

I was asking about Pennsylvania public school.

I was just mentioning the private school because it was sort of alarming that they had it printed in bold right in the sales packet.
#4 of 17 Old 05-31-2010, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Is Pennsylvania public school really tough on allowing exemptions?
PA is super easy compared to NY- there are threads on this-search in the delayed section as well (post a few weeks back)

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 17 Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 AM

I would try contacting your state Attorney General and ask if it is legal for a private school to refuse to accept an exemption. Based on our AG's interpretation of Texas law a private school does not have to accept a student with an exemption for enrollment unless they also accept state funds.

TX Attorney General opinion ga0420

"Whether private schools must accept for
enrollment children who have received an
exemption from the immunizations required by the
Texas Health and Safety Code"

"We conclude therefore that a private school that does not accept state tax funds is not required to accept for enrollment a child who has received an exemption from the immunizations required by the Health and Safety Code."

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/...pdf/ga0420.pdf

TITLE 24. EDUCATION
CHAPTER 1. PUBLIC SCHOOL CODE OF 1949
ARTICLE XIII. PUPILS AND ATTENDANCE
(A) ATTENDANCE

24 P.S. § 13-1303a (2007)
§ 13-1303a. Immunization required; penalty
(a) It shall be the duty of all school directors, superintendents, principals, or other persons in charge of any public, private, parochial, or other school including kindergarten, to ascertain that every child, prior to admission to school for the first time has been immunized, as the Secretary of Health may direct, against such diseases as shall appear on a list to be made and from time to time reviewed by the Advisory Health Board. All certificates of immunization shall be issued in accordance with the rules and regulations promulgated by the Secretary of Health with the sanction and advice of the Advisory Health Board.

(b) Any person who shall fail, neglect, or refuse to comply with, or who shall violate, any of the provisions or requirements of this section, except as hereinafter provided, shall, for every such offense, upon summary conviction thereof, be sentenced to pay a fine of not less than five dollars ($ 5) nor more than one hundred dollars ($ 100), and in default thereof, to undergo an imprisonment in the jail of the proper county for a period not exceeding sixty (60) days. All such fines shall be paid into the treasury of the school district.

(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply in the case of any child deemed to have a medical contraindication which may contraindicate immunization and so certified by a physician. Such certificates may be accepted in lieu of a certificate of immunization.

(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply in the case of any child whose parent or guardian objects in writing to such immunization on religious grounds.

28 Pa. Code. § 23.84 (2007)
§ 23.84. Exemption from immunization.
(a) Medical exemption. Children need not be immunized if a physician or the physician’s designee provides a written statement that immunization may be detrimental to the health of the child. When the physician determines that immunization is no longer detrimental to the health of the child, the child shall be immunized according to this subchapter.
(b) Religious exemption. Children need not be immunized if the parent, guardian or emancipated child objects in writing to the immunization on religious grounds or on the basis of a strong moral or ethical conviction similar to a religious belief.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#6 of 17 Old 06-01-2010, 05:53 PM

as far as i know they have a religious exemption. So it is all or nothing. Either you give all of them by school age or you never give any of yor kids any vax again.

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

#7 of 17 Old 06-03-2010, 03:27 PM

FWIW, I had no problem using a religious exemption when I registered my DS for kindergarten. (I live in Franklin County)

DS 8/4/04 "You're my best mommy in the deep blue sea!"
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*
#8 of 17 Old 02-16-2011, 07:37 AM

I hope it's ok to revive an old thread!

I have an appointment with our local elementary school in Delaware County next week to register my Son for Kindergarten and I'll be asked to show immunization records, which I don't have since we've chosen not to vaccinate. So I really want to make sure I come prepared.

So far I have a letter stating our moral/religious exemption and a copy of the PA school immunization rules and regulations. Any other suggestions or tips? Thanks!

#9 of 17 Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Hi, I'm in Delaware County, Pa. and had no problem registering my totally unvaccinated son for public school kindergarten (2.5 years ago).  I contacted the doctor in charge of the school district and asked what documents I should have.  He said bring the religious (or in my case strong philosophical belief or however it is worded) exemption form and a note from his pediatrician stating that he was in good health.  So just ask the head honcho what he/she wants and you should be all set.

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
#10 of 17 Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM

I have a kindergartner in public school in Philadelphia. In spite of much worrying about it, it was not a problem at all to get my completely unvaxed daughter in. Our personally worded exemption had the complete wording of the PA law re: religious exemption (it is very loosely worded and is likely similar to philosophical exemptions in other states). My husband and I signed it and had it notarized. I presented it at registration, and it's never come up again.

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.
Benjamin Franklin
#11 of 17 Old 02-16-2011, 07:12 PM

Thank you "theoldmommers" and "annjo" for your insight. It's reassuring to know that it's not as difficult as some think!

#12 of 17 Old 02-17-2011, 04:41 PM

Good luck! Be confident in your decision!

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.
Benjamin Franklin
#13 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 AM

I did it! I registered my Son for Kindergarten today.

I presented a short note stating our religious/moral exemption for vaccination and was given no trouble what so ever!

#14 of 17 Old 02-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Hooray!  Glad it went well.

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
#15 of 17 Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM

I'm getting ready to register DD for K and see you are in the area. Did you have a hard time with the exemption? Thanks, Teresa
#16 of 17 Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 PM

just moved to PA.

Catholic, so religious exception wouldn't be honest.

how do i get around the vaxs for putting my kids in 3rd grade.  We are in rock council (maybe its the other way around) district.

#17 of 17 Old 07-29-2011, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchbunch View Post

just moved to PA.

Catholic, so religious exception wouldn't be honest.

how do i get around the vaxs for putting my kids in 3rd grade.  We are in rock council (maybe its the other way around) district.

It's easy. write a letter to the school saying vaccines go against your strong moral or ethical convictions.

"Children need not be immunized if the parent, guardian or emancipated child objects in writing to the immunization on religious grounds or on the basis of a strong moral or ethical conviction similar to a religious belief."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page