stopping vaccing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does any one have any information regarding stopping vaccination midstream and not doing any further vaccinations.

Here's my background. We have DS on and alternate vaccination schedule. We started him at 6 months doing one shot at at time. I've denied the Hep C, Hep A, Rotovirus, Chicken Pox, Flu vaccinations (including H1N1), and MMR. I have completed the DTaP vaccination and we have given him one HIB (his schedule says he needs two HIB shots).He is now 15 months and due to his alternate schedule he will not be seen until he's 16 months with which at that time he should receive his 2nd and last HIB. I would like to stop vaccinating all together. We will most likely not vaccinate our second child. After doing research on vaccinations I am not convinced they are the right thing to do for our children. I have contacted National Vaccine Information Center and so far no help with regards to stopping 1/2 way through.

Does anyone know if stopping the HIB 1/2 way through would leave him more vulnerable and should we just give the second HIB and be done with it.

Thoughts???
Thanks for your help!

Me-Brenda (wife as of 10/9/2005 and SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah 3/2009, DS-Micah 5/2011. We are a BF, Baby wearing, non-vacc, future homeschooling, homebirthing , traditional, family. The center of our home is Christ .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 11:43 AM

You can stop vaxing at anytime. Multiple doses are given to "catch" those who did not receive immunity from the 1st dose.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 06-15-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
You can stop vaxing at anytime. Multiple doses are given to "catch" those who did not receive immunity from the 1st dose.
ok thanks! Should I request a blood draw to see if my child is immune or do you think that's opening whole can of worms.

Me-Brenda (wife as of 10/9/2005 and SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah 3/2009, DS-Micah 5/2011. We are a BF, Baby wearing, non-vacc, future homeschooling, homebirthing , traditional, family. The center of our home is Christ .

Old 06-15-2010, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pants View Post
ok thanks! Should I request a blood draw to see if my child is immune or do you think that's opening whole can of worms.
What would you do with that info? Would it change your decision? If not I wouldn't bother personally. I would only get tires drawn for any VPD if I was trying to avoid more doses in a series, but was prepared to finish the series IF the titres came back negative.

You should also know that sometimes titres are not an accurate reflection of immunity. Some people can get vaccinated multiple times for something and never develop immunity,

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:45 PM

Since I don't think they are overall effective and/or fool proof, it wouldnt matter to me one way or the other. FWIW, DS1 was vaxxed up to four months, when we stopped. Is he more vulnerable or less with what hes had? WHO KNOWS, but I aint sticking him anymore to find out.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You can stop at any time. It wont affect anything. I stopped when DD was 4 months. She got the full 2 month shots and half the 4 month, then I asked DH if we could please stop altogether. I was releived when he said yes. His mother the vaccine nurse, was not.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 06-17-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks!! I had a sinking feeling the first shot I had the pedi give DS that it's not the right thing to do. I prayed about it and spoke with my pastors wife (who has 7 kids her first three are vacced and her last 4 are not at all) and she gave me some real incite that would strengthen my religious/biblical view against vaccinations. We don't plan on having any of our other kids vacced. I am glad I found and AP family practitioner who is good with non-vacced kids. She'll be doing the newborn visits with our next baby who hopefully will be born at home. I just hope that having DS partially vacced will not nix the chances of us having a religious exemption in our state. Thankfully our pastor and his wife can write a letter of explanation against vaccinations. Maybe that'll help.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pants View Post
I just hope that having DS partially vacced will not nix the chances of us having a religious exemption in our state. Thankfully our pastor and his wife can write a letter of explanation against vaccinations. Maybe that'll help.
Sample Religious Exemption Letter(change the state law reference to your state):

Quote:
To whom it may concern;

(We / I) {First and Last name(s)}, as the {(parent (s) / guardian(s)} of ______________________(name of newborn child) are exercising (our/my) rights under the US Constitution, PUBLIC HEALTH LAW, ARTICLE 21. CONTROL OF ACUTE COMMUNICABLE DISEASES,TITLE VI. POLIOMYELITIS AND OTHER DISEASES, NY CLS Pub Health § 2164 (2002), to receive Religious Exemption from Vaccination, ALL injections, prophylaxis, & testing due to our genuine and sincere religious beliefs which are contrary to the practices herein required.

The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. This ruling is also reflected in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion.

Sincerely,

Your signature.
Date

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 06-18-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmeline ii View Post
sample religious exemption letter(change the state law reference to your state):

quote:
to whom it may concern;

(we / i) {first and last name(s)}, as the {(parent (s) / guardian(s)} of ______________________(name of newborn child) are exercising (our/my) rights under the us constitution, public health law, article 21. Control of acute communicable diseases,title vi. Poliomyelitis and other diseases, ny cls pub health § 2164 (2002), to receive religious exemption from vaccination, all injections, prophylaxis, & testing due to our genuine and sincere religious beliefs which are contrary to the practices herein required.

the u.s. Supreme court held in frazee v. Illinois dept. Of security, 489 u.s. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. This ruling is also reflected in title vii of the civil rights act of 1964 as amended nov. 1, 1980; part 1605.1-guidelines on discrimination because of religion.

sincerely,

your signature.
Date
thank!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 03:54 PM

Pants,

I don't advise the letter from pastor. It shouldn't be legally required, and you shouldn't give more information than legally required. "Personal" religious beliefs are legally included, as are atheistic beliefs, beliefs with no name, no church, no group. I researched this some years ago and found that there were Suprme Court decisions pertaining to that. Here, it is illegal for them to inquire into your religious beliefs. If you are questioned you can basically tell them that it's not their business to inquire about your religion.

JMO but I would give less info, with a smile on my face. In fact I have. And I always try to give the "of course there's nothing we need to discuss" vibe about the matter. Which works.

GL to you!

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Old 06-18-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlest birds View Post
Pants,

I don't advise the letter from pastor. It shouldn't be legally required, and you shouldn't give more information than legally required. "Personal" religious beliefs are legally included, as are atheistic beliefs, beliefs with no name, no church, no group. I researched this some years ago and found that there were Suprme Court decisions pertaining to that. Here, it is illegal for them to inquire into your religious beliefs. If you are questioned you can basically tell them that it's not their business to inquire about your religion.

JMO but I would give less info, with a smile on my face. In fact I have. And I always try to give the "of course there's nothing we need to discuss" vibe about the matter. Which works.

GL to you!
Yeah that was my other thought too. less is more. I took that approach when I denied a lot of DS shots. I just said we are not doing them, I understand the risk, and give the sheet to sign. Done. No further discussion even though the doctor at the time told me that my son would DIE if I didn't give him the vaccinations and that i'm just being an irresponsible mother that goes on nonsense from the internet. HU I said nothing about my research just that we are not doing shots at 2 months old. So rude

Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 PM

Oh I meant to say that we have three partly vaxed kids and one unvaxed, and have religious exemption letter for past six years for all of them. My basic intention being that this means this aspect of our lives will not be the business of schools etc. so even though our oldest has nearly everything we use the exemption only when we need records. We do not use her old vax records. We do not share the info that they are partly vaxed and I don't think it has ever come up. We have had kids in private mainstream preschool and public school with their exemptions.

IF something came up healthwise for which those old vaxes seemed relevant to us we would bring it up, but what would that even apply to??? If they had a VPD and had been vaxed maybe? At that point would vax status matter anyhow? IDK--Nothing has come up as an issue in these years with this situation.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

User Tag List