2010 Pertussis outbreak - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
But the DTaP isn't offered to children in the real danger zone (under 6 months) I think it comes down to personal responsibility. If you have a cough you should stay home, period.
Agree that people with coughs should not go around coughing on babies, but also want to point out that DTaP is offered for children under 6 months -- the schedule is 2 months, 4 months, 6 months. (It's very top of mind for me because my DD reacted to her DTaP shot at 2 months.) Now how much protection it really offers--that's a different question.

IMHO it's safer to keep your <6 months babies home and away from other people. Pertussis is apparently most communicable in the initial phase when you aren't even coughing yet--and only showing signs of a minor cold.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
#32 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
Agree that people with coughs should not go around coughing on babies, but also want to point out that DTaP is offered for children under 6 months -- the schedule is 2 months, 4 months, 6 months. (It's very top of mind for me because my DD reacted to her DTaP shot at 2 months.) Now how much protection it really offers--that's a different question.

IMHO it's safer to keep your <6 months babies home and away from other people. Pertussis is apparently most communicable in the initial phase when you aren't even coughing yet--and only showing signs of a minor cold.
Maybe I should have said babies aren't fully covered until they're out of the danger zone.

Yeah, we didn't go out a lot before he reached, like, 4 or 5 months...and we don't vax at all so I'm not afraid of germs.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#33 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 PM

I just saw this on yahoo news today.
I'll admit it put a little fear into me because DD currently has
a runny nose and itchy eyes. Not much of a cough yet, but she seems to have come down with something. I've been watching her and I scoured the vax and health threads on ways to treat it if she does have it. I'm picking up some SA tomorrow to get her started on that.

We don't vax, but she's 3 1/2 months, so she wouldn't have been vaxed fully anyways. Not that it matters with this particular illness.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#34 of 53 Old 06-25-2010, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Hope it turns out to be just a cold. But if it is pertussis you are on the right track with SA.

Good luck!
#35 of 53 Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=poppan;15555315]Agree that people with coughs should not go around coughing on babies, but also want to point out that DTaP is offered for children under 6 months -- the schedule is 2 months, 4 months, 6 months. (It's very top of mind for me because my DD reacted to her DTaP shot at 2 months.) Now how much protection it really offers--that's a different question.

Quote:
Totally agree with this however the reality is for people who work and don't have paid maternity leave, taking 6 months off is not a possibility.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#36 of 53 Old 06-25-2010, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Hope it turns out to be just a cold. But if it is pertussis you are on the right track with SA.

Good luck!

What does SA stand for?

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#37 of 53 Old 06-25-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Good luck!
Thanks. I'll be ready if needed.

[QUOTE=Marnica;15557158]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post

Totally agree with this however the reality is for people who work and don't have paid maternity leave, taking 6 months off is not a possibility.
Yep, yep.
DD had to start daycare at 2 months. Beleive me, I hate having her there, but DH and I both have to work. I'm very careful with wiping her down and changing her clothes when she get's home, but if one of those kiddies in the daycare has something, they could caugh all over her and we would never know it until she comes down with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy F View Post
What does SA stand for?
sodium ascorbate

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#38 of 53 Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy F View Post
I just saw this on the mainstream news yesterday (don't ask me why I even listened to it - I hate the mainstream news) that there is an outbreak of pertussis (I think mainly in CA), and of course, I've read articles where the "antivaxers" are to blame. What do you guys feel about this when they blame those who choose not to vaccinate on these outbreaks? I can foresee these "outbreaks" happening over and over again and the govt choosing to make vaccines mandatory for everyone.
Quick side note: Where are good places to go for non-mainstream news? This question is open to everbody. TIA!
#39 of 53 Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 PM

Vaccination News usually has both mainstream and non-mainstream news about vaccination, autism, outbreaks of illness.
#40 of 53 Old 06-26-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Vaccination News usually has both mainstream and non-mainstream news about vaccination, autism, outbreaks of illness.
Awesome! Thanks, I'll check it out. They just do mostly health-related news? Where's a good place to go for alt. news about everything?
#41 of 53 Old 06-26-2010, 04:23 AM

My mom is a nurse at a hospital in N.D. She said they've had 3 confirmed cases of WC and are now forcing the vax on everyone who works in the hospital. She's just telling them she's up to date.

I'll just say, too, that even if the vax is gven to kids under a year (or at anytime, really) I've read things here at MDC and heard elsewhere that this is possibly the single most useless vaccine there is. If that's true (and the numbers tend to support it - in many outbreaks, the number of cases in vax'd people far outnumbers the cases in non-vax'd), it wouldn't matter that the babes didn't have the vax, just that being so young they are/were more susceptible.

Jenn
#42 of 53 Old 06-26-2010, 07:33 AM

I wouldn't call the vaccine totally useless for babies, because in some babies it can reduce the severity of the symptoms. On the other hand, the vaccine has considerable risks. Even in the improved form (see improved in quotes) it is one of the more reactive vaccines.

Finally, there is the not so tiny problem of "original antigenic sin". Do some searches on this term and, if you can find it, read the article by Cherry.

I think the vaccine is a mistake. Certainly, blaming outbreaks on the unvaccinated is simply propaganda because the vaccine doesn't prevent carriage or transmission. Some vaccines do. This one doesn't.
#43 of 53 Old 06-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
If you have pertussis then you would know to stay away from any such children/babies, though, right? I mean, if you take responsibility for your health then you know if you are sick that you have to stay away from babies and children with fragile immune systems, no?

No, that is not always the case I had a HUGE blow up with my MIL when ds was 3 weeks old and she came over with 'just a cough' coughing on him. she said oh I had a cold and feel better I just can't kick this cough... I explained what that could mean and she denied it up and down saying other people had it too. So no when it comes to children people don't think about how their own health is always.

btw ds didn't get sick Praise God and MIL had cough for another month, which also means she was sick when she came to the hospital I just didn't know it.

Some people just lack common sense.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#44 of 53 Old 06-26-2010, 02:12 PM

If this thread is to remain open for discussion, please remember to remain on-topic as appropriate for this subforum. I have removed several posts from this thread which were not appropriate for the subforum or which were responding to such posts. If you feel that a post is not in keeping with either the subforum guidelines or the UA please report the post rather than posting a response to the thread.
#45 of 53 Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 AM

Deborah, what I mean by "useless" is it the vax with the highest "get the disease anyway" numbers (at least that I've ever seen). That's why I believe it's the least effective vaccine given and not worth getting.

I've often wondered if the disease has mutated and that is why the vax is so ineffective, but rather than put money into a new vax, they just say "you need a booster shot" because it's cheaper...?

In the OPer's case, there's no way I'd get any vaccines, though esp. not the WC. There's not enough of a proven track record for it to outweigh the risks to her.

Jenn
#46 of 53 Old 06-27-2010, 11:29 AM

It may have mutated, but I've seen high failure numbers from this vaccine going back to the 1950s. I think it was always a crap vaccine and depended on two things to make it look better:

misdiagnosis and the general drop in whooping cough deaths in infants due to improved living conditions and medical care.

Still, the vaccine MAY have reduced the severity of the illness in some infants. Whether it was effective enough to justify all the horrendous reactions and illness from the vaccine is doubtful, in my opinion.
#47 of 53 Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedFoxx View Post
Thank you for this response. It makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, those are in our everyday life and our children come in contact with them without use realizing it. Did you know that a large percentage of liquid makeup (foundation primarily) has formaldehyde. A great number of anti-perspirates have aluminum. We're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't.

A lot of us know these things and choose to by better quality products or choose to forgo them altogether. I dont wear antiperspirant ever, and I dont use make up except for a bit of mascara. My shampoos and conditioners are free of endocrine disrupters and other nasty chemicals. I dont believe we are damned at all.

Its about learning and making better choices for your family.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#48 of 53 Old 06-29-2010, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
A lot of us know these things and choose to by better quality products or choose to forgo them altogether. I dont wear antiperspirant ever, and I dont use make up except for a bit of mascara. My shampoos and conditioners are free of endocrine disrupters and other nasty chemicals. I dont believe we are damned at all.

Its about learning and making better choices for your family.
I agree. Those whose choose to really research vaccines and what's in them are likely to research what's in the food they're eating, make-up they're using, etc. It's all about reading the label. If there is formaldehyde or aluminum in the products or food you are going to buy then plain and simple, don't buy it! Simple as that. I buy all organic food (and shampoo) for my son because it's most important to me what he is putting into his body. And after seeing the documentary Food, Inc., it just reinforces the idea that organic is the only way to go these days IMO.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#49 of 53 Old 06-30-2010, 04:17 AM

Can you please tell me where all you ladies find all this information on this vaccines and others in general?
Right now we are not vaxing (DS is 9 weeks) but after googling I have NO idea what information is legitimate or not.

I live in CA and Ill be the first to admit that this outbreak has scared me. DS already had surgery at 4 days old so he was pumped with a ton of drugs already and the idea of injecting that crap into him so young disgusts me. I had NO idea the vax is only effective half the time.
Where can i read about that?

Thank you!
#50 of 53 Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 AM

There are a lot of resources. If time permits, check your public library to see if they have any books on vaccination. There is one by Aviva Jill Romm which is quite good.

Sounds as though your DS survived the surgery in good order. How is he doing now, at 9 weeks?
#51 of 53 Old 06-30-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMarineWife View Post
Can you please tell me where all you ladies find all this information on this vaccines and others in general?
Right now we are not vaxing (DS is 9 weeks) but after googling I have NO idea what information is legitimate or not.

I live in CA and Ill be the first to admit that this outbreak has scared me. DS already had surgery at 4 days old so he was pumped with a ton of drugs already and the idea of injecting that crap into him so young disgusts me. I had NO idea the vax is only effective half the time.
Where can i read about that?

Thank you!
I'm in cali too and we don't vax. DD is 3.5 months now.
Dr. Sears vax book is a great place to start. It helped me make my decision a ton. It's gives both sides of the story and leads you to making your own informed decisions.

#52 of 53 Old 07-01-2010, 05:00 AM

Hes doing perfect. You'd never guess anything (serious) was wrong with him. His surgeon said we got very lucky because most babies with his condition are there for months and he was only there for 13 days. Hes definatley our miracle baby.
#53 of 53 Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 AM

Well congratulations! You are a very good mama.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page