2010 Pertussis outbreak - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
 
SilverMoon010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just saw this on the mainstream news yesterday (don't ask me why I even listened to it - I hate the mainstream news) that there is an outbreak of pertussis (I think mainly in CA), and of course, I've read articles where the "antivaxers" are to blame. What do you guys feel about this when they blame those who choose not to vaccinate on these outbreaks? I can foresee these "outbreaks" happening over and over again and the govt choosing to make vaccines mandatory for everyone.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

SilverMoon010 is offline  
#2 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 AM
 
hippy mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you do a search of Whooping cough or Pertussis outbreak, there are a bunch that come up. CA, TX, east coast etc. You will see stories that "whooping cough is coming back, so vaccinate yourself to protect your baby" stuff.
As far as them blaming non vaxers, the news will almost always make it out to be the non vaxers who are spreading the disease, yet in most cases, the percent is spread out-but of course they will not report that, because it would cause an uproar about the vaccine not working.
When you look at the percent effective rate of the Pertussis vaccine, it's no wonder the disease never really went away. Think about how many adults or children have lingering coughs, and dr's generally do not test for Pertussis, especially in a child if they've had the vaccine for it.
hippy mum is offline  
#3 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 09:10 AM
 
SpottedFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just getting over a case for the second time in 5 years. I was terrified to go around children because you never know who is vacs and who isn't.

I have no heard of anyone blaming non-vac people. What I have heard (in the medical community) is blaming the longevity of the vaccine. It lasts about 25 years so old folks like me (LOL 42) are now able to get it and pass it on to those who aren't vaccinated against it. The rub is.. if you choose not to vaccinate your children and you bring them in public - you really are taking a huge risk. Most adults who get pertussis don't even know, it's just a nasty cough for adults. For babies... they can die.

I plan on getting revaccinated as soon as the cough is fully gone.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
SpottedFoxx is offline  
#4 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 AM
 
ammiga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedFoxx View Post
I am just getting over a case for the second time in 5 years. I was terrified to go around children because you never know who is vacs and who isn't.

I have no heard of anyone blaming non-vac people. What I have heard (in the medical community) is blaming the longevity of the vaccine. It lasts about 25 years so old folks like me (LOL 42) are now able to get it and pass it on to those who aren't vaccinated against it. The rub is.. if you choose not to vaccinate your children and you bring them in public - you really are taking a huge risk. Most adults who get pertussis don't even know, it's just a nasty cough for adults. For babies... they can die.

I plan on getting revaccinated as soon as the cough is fully gone.
I'm so confused about this... if having the actual illness doesn't give you immunity, how would the vaccine?

The news and the mainstream doctors that I spend time around absolutely blame people who don't vax for outbreaks. It seems that they have not read the rates of who has contracted the disease and who hasn't, as vaccinated people often are the majority of the cases. Just expect a bigger push in marketing and at the doctor's offices for why everyone should be getting a booster.
ammiga is offline  
#5 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 AM
 
SpottedFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ammiga, not always. I have a chronic disease which makes me more susceptible to certain diseases. The vaccine would definitely boost my immunity (both times, it's been very mild - only when I started to bark like a seal did we realize what was going on) but there wouldn't be a guarantee.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
SpottedFoxx is offline  
#6 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
 
SilverMoon010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think what it boils down to is propaganda. They are putting the scare tactic in on everyone again like they did with the H1N1 so everyone will all go out and get vaccinated. I've been seeing all types of marketing for the past year on how adults and babies should get the pertussis vaccine, and now all the sudden, CA is in an epidemic of pertussis. Just strikes me as too coincendental.

You know what really ticks me off the most? Did you ever see the mainstream media just once touch on a story about vaccine-injured children, or children that have died from vaccines? No, and we never will. We will, however, continue to see the outbreaks announced etc, only trying to make us who choose not to vaccinate seem like we're wrong for choosing so. So terribly annoying. We have to continue to stand up for what we believe and not let them knock us down!

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

SilverMoon010 is offline  
#7 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 AM
 
mom0810's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Barking like a seal sounds more like croup to me... whooping cough is not barking, AFAIK. Of course I could be wrong. I think, also, that once a person has had croup... like in childhood, they are more likely to get it again and again. To me, that sounds more like what you had. Did you cough for 3 months? Whooping cough lasts 3 months, usually.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  
 

mom0810 is offline  
#8 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 AM
 
SoCaliMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did anyone else see the commercial they had about a star saying how bad whooping cough was?

I was wondering what the big deal about it was and don't see how a vaccine can magically prevent you from coughing really bad.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
SoCaliMommy is offline  
#9 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 11:07 AM
 
mom0810's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And the other thing is, the vaccine does NOT prevent transmission, so how would an adult getting vaccinated help a baby?

The vaccine is only 50-60% effective, btw...

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  
 

mom0810 is offline  
#10 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 12:09 PM
 
AFWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
I know that whooping cough and croup sound similar. That's why many kids (VACCINATED KIDS) who have croup actually have wc but are never tested because "it couldn't possibly be wc--she's vaccinated!". The wc vaccine is notoriously ineffective... 60% MAYBE at best... and there are SO many cases of it that go undiagnosed because they arent' severe or they are in people who are vaccinated so doctors assume it's not wc.
When DH was in college a cough made it's way around...everyone got diagnosed with croup. However, later research (by us) discovered it was probably WC. People were coughing hard enough to throw up, one girl fractured a rib, and it ran it's course TWICE with most people. But everyone had to be up to date on vaxes to get into college...so no one considered it.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
AFWife is offline  
#11 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
SilverMoon010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sadly enough, my mom grew up with someone with polio and she got polio from the vaccine itself. I've seen far too many times where a child is vaccinated and winds up developing the very same disease they were injected to prevent.

My brother had a horrible reaction to the DPT vaccine when he was younger. He could have died. He's okay but he was fighting with a learning disability shortly thereafter.

There's a risk with everything. You're taking a risk whether you vaccinate and whether you don't, but honestly, I think you have a better fighting chance to fight illnesses if you are not continuously knocking down your immune system with vaccines over and over again. Why do that to a healthy baby? I would never let my child eat formaldehyde and aluminum, so why would I have it injected into his bloodstream. That's my view on this.

The irony of it all is that you say you could give pertussis to an infant...well, the vaccine is said to not even be completely effective until they are 6 months old, so in that case, all infants are suseptible to pertussis. And even at 6 months, that vaccine is not very effective at all. My husband's sister got WC as a baby and she was vaccinated for it, so I'd rather take the chance that my son won't get it at all rather than inject it directly into him!

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

SilverMoon010 is offline  
#12 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 12:14 PM
 
SpottedFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy F View Post
Sadly enough, I did know someone with polio and she got polio from the vaccine itself. I've seen far too many times where a child is vaccinated and winds up developing the very same disease they were injected to prevent.

My brother had a horrible reaction to the DPT vaccine when he was younger. He could have died. He's okay but he was fighting with a learning disability shortly thereafter.

There's a risk with everything. You're taking a risk whether you vaccinate and whether you don't, but honestly, I think you have a better fighting chance to fight illnesses if you are not continuously knocking down your immune system with vaccines over and over again. Why do that to a healthy baby? I would never let my chld eat formaldehyde and aluminum, so why would I have it injected into his bloodstream. That's my view on this.
Thank you for this response. It makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, those are in our everyday life and our children come in contact with them without use realizing it. Did you know that a large percentage of liquid makeup (foundation primarily) has formaldehyde. A great number of anti-perspirates have aluminum. We're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
SpottedFoxx is offline  
#13 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 12:16 PM
 
mom0810's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you have pertussis then you would know to stay away from any such children/babies, though, right? I mean, if you take responsibility for your health then you know if you are sick that you have to stay away from babies and children with fragile immune systems, no?

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  
 

mom0810 is offline  
#14 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 PM
 
mom0810's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And yes, we are exposed to these things in everyday life. In small quantities. I, for one, did not wear any deodorant when my very small babies were nursing in order to prevent aluminum absorption in my breast tissue that could have affected them.

Also, since our environment IS full of these toxins, it does make sense not to inject MORE of them into our bloodstreams, no?

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  
 

mom0810 is offline  
#15 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 PM
 
AFWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedFoxx View Post
I'd like to point out that pertussis in adults is nothing more than a nasty cough. However, had I come in contact with an infant who had not been vaccinated, that infant could die.

My disease makes me more susceptible to certain diseases yet it does not make it harder for my body to fight them off. A child who's system is compromised and is too young to have the strength to fight off a disease is an entirely different story.
But the DTaP isn't offered to children in the real danger zone (under 6 months) I think it comes down to personal responsibility. If you have a cough you should stay home, period.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
AFWife is offline  
#16 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 PM
 
AFWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
And yes, we are exposed to these things in everyday life. In small quantities. I, for one, did not wear any deodorant when my very small babies were nursing in order to prevent aluminum absorption in my breast tissue that could have affected them.

Also, since our environment IS full of these toxins, it does make sense not to inject MORE of them into our bloodstreams, no?
Thank you. They tell us to avoid tuna during pregnancy and while nursing because of mercury levels...but it's okay to inject it directly into a baby's bloodstream?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
AFWife is offline  
#17 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 12:39 PM
 
SpottedFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no idea why the vaccine will give me greater immunity - it's what my doctor recommended to me and I trust her with my life. Of course, I will research it more before I get it but I'm leaning towards getting it. Considering I'm still coughing after a month... if it will lesson my chance of getting it yet again, I'd risk it.

I have to work for a living. Both times, prior to getting a diagnosis, I went to work, feeling fine, sounding terrible because I figured it was a cold. I cared for my son (who was just over a year the first time), took the train, went to work, went to the grocery store and even spent time in my son's day care. When I was diagnosed, I immediately called the day care because I didn't know if there would be any children who were not vaccinated in the center. Having a cough is not a legitimate reason to stay home.

You may be correct on the transmission but if the vaccine prevents you from getting the disease in the first place, transmission is taken care of no?

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
SpottedFoxx is offline  
#18 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM
 
ammiga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedFoxx View Post
I have no idea why the vaccine will give me greater immunity - it's what my doctor recommended to me and I trust her with my life. Of course, I will research it more before I get it but I'm leaning towards getting it. Considering I'm still coughing after a month... if it will lesson my chance of getting it yet again, I'd risk it.

I have to work for a living. Both times, prior to getting a diagnosis, I went to work, feeling fine, sounding terrible because I figured it was a cold. I cared for my son (who was just over a year the first time), took the train, went to work, went to the grocery store and even spent time in my son's day care. When I was diagnosed, I immediately called the day care because I didn't know if there would be any children who were not vaccinated in the center.

You may be correct on the transmission but if the vaccine prevents you from getting the disease in the first place, transmission is taken care of no?
No. The vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting the pertussis. I'm sure someone can chime in and explain this better than I can, but I think it prevents the toxin from attaching that causes the awful part of the cough. So you still "catch" pertussis and you still spread it around. You just don't get the quite as bad of a cough from it, which actually makes you more likely to spread it on to more people, since you don't realize you have pertussis.
ammiga is offline  
#19 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 12:45 PM
 
poppan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in CA specifically in the SF Bay Area where one of the outbreaks is. I have heard it on my local NPR station (I don't watch TV or listen to other radio so that is my source of info). In the news article I listened to, they said there were more cases in Marin County which has a higher non-vaxing rate. However, they explained the higher rate there as due to a campaign to ask parents to report it rather than hide it, and not on the vax rate.

As a sidenote, my DD was diagnosed with pertussis (but without a lab test) but her pedi and I chose not to report it to the state health dept. PM me for details -- of course it's not quite that straightforward.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
poppan is offline  
#20 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 01:05 PM
 
SpottedFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post
No. The vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting the pertussis. I'm sure someone can chime in and explain this better than I can, but I think it prevents the toxin from attaching that causes the awful part of the cough. So you still "catch" pertussis and you still spread it around. You just don't get the quite as bad of a cough from it, which actually makes you more likely to spread it on to more people, since you don't realize you have pertussis.
Thank you for the explanation. If that is the case, and I could still get it but without the cough, I'll definitely get the vaccine (I can see someone breaking a rib) cause it kept me up for days.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
SpottedFoxx is offline  
#21 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 PM
 
Penny4Them's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wake Forest, NC USA
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The 5 infants (God bless their souls and their families) who died of WC recently in CA were 3 mos or younger, so they may have had 1 dtap beginning at 2 mos (speculatory of course). Has anyone found out if these babies rec'd 1st vax?

If an unvaxed baby did develop confirmewd WC, would there be any reason NOT to report it? Are parents and/or doctrors required to report it?

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

Penny4Them is offline  
#22 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 01:16 PM
 
Peony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 25,327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Eh. We had so many pertussis cases in my rural area a couple years back, that the CDC even came out to investigate. We had gotten it the year before, conformed cases because my DD2 was hospitalized and very ill (newborn). It was reported to the health dept as it is standard procedure, they call and ask questions, it really isn't a big deal, I answered them and that was the end of that.


Pertussis is always around, I believe that the reason we hear about it so much now is because they finally realized vaxs aren't good for life.


I now work for the health dept and one of our recent staff meetings was on vaxs, mostly H1N1, but some others were thrown in there as well. Most of the pertussis cases are in people that have been vaxed, I can't remember our local numbers, but there were only a handful that were not-vaxers. And yes I do find it ironic that a no-vaxing person works for the health dept but I don't work in immunizations since it against my personal beliefs.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Peony is online now  
#23 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 PM
 
chaoticzenmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedFoxx View Post
Thank you for this response. It makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, those are in our everyday life and our children come in contact with them without use realizing it. Did you know that a large percentage of liquid makeup (foundation primarily) has formaldehyde. A great number of anti-perspirates have aluminum. We're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't.
Yes, unfortunally, many here at MDC are aware of these things. That's why we look so natural and smell so, um natural (ok, I'll speak for myself ) It's really exhausting sometimes to try to eliminate toxins from our bodies and environments. I do look for those things in our life, not just in beauty products, but household smelly and cleaning products, materials in our home, food etc.

Really, the reason we don't vaccinate is the same reason you do. We love our kids and are trying to do the best we can for them with what we know.

Back to Pertussis. That was one of the only 2 vaccines my third child had. I had stopped vaxxing when my 2nd was a year old and wasn't sure if I was a selective vaxxer or non-vaxxer. He had the dtap at 9mo and screamed in pain for 2 days straight, no sleeping, no eating. So, we're firmly non-vaxxers. I do worry about pertussis though. I wash hands, avoid pharmacies and dr's offices, I wash cart handles at the grocery store, I feed the kids well. If someone in a movie theatre is coughing, I"ll move. That's really all I can do. I cannot give that vaccine knowing the pain it caused my other son.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

chaoticzenmom is offline  
#24 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 02:08 PM
 
ammiga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedFoxx View Post
Thank you for the explanation. If that is the case, and I could still get it but without the cough, I'll definitely get the vaccine (I can see someone breaking a rib) cause it kept me up for days.
It doesn't eliminate the cough, it just reportedly can lessen the symptoms. I would still want to know how the vaccine can offer this more than the actual disease can. I would stand to reason that a recent case of pertussis would offer the same type of protection as the vaccine, if not better. Vaccinating after a recent case of the disease makes little sense to me. I understand that your doctor is recommending it, but I would want to to know why. And how your doctor feels it is more protection than the disease.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I truly do not understand this and would love to get a better understanding of this logic.
ammiga is offline  
#25 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 02:43 PM
 
SpottedFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post
It doesn't eliminate the cough, it just reportedly can lessen the symptoms. I would still want to know how the vaccine can offer this more than the actual disease can. I would stand to reason that a recent case of pertussis would offer the same type of protection as the vaccine, if not better. Vaccinating after a recent case of the disease makes little sense to me. I understand that your doctor is recommending it, but I would want to to know why. And how your doctor feels it is more protection than the disease.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I truly do not understand this and would love to get a better understanding of this logic.
And when the time comes, I would absolutely ask her why. The second time was absolutely worse than the first time. Maybe because I'm a bit older, maybe because my disease has progressed a bit since then, who knows. I'm still coughing (no where near as bad) a month later.

If all it does is lesson the severity - I'd still do it. It's not a fun thing to have. It's not the end of the world but if I can make myself more comfortable, I will.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
SpottedFoxx is offline  
#26 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 02:59 PM
 
Skinjob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post
No. The vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting the pertussis.
This is true. I got the vaccine when I was 12 and I still got whooping cough. I was sick for three months. The vaccine wasn't effective in my case.
Skinjob is offline  
#27 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 03:25 PM
 
poppan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny4Them View Post
If an unvaxed baby did develop confirmewd WC, would there be any reason NOT to report it? Are parents and/or doctrors required to report it?
Based on my pedi visit -- I was under the impression that we are required to report it if it is a confirmed case. I chose not to report because my pedi said she would have to prescribe antibiotics if the diagnosis were official, and the antibiotics would likely prolong the cough. (We voluntarily quarantined ourselves at home instead--the antibiotics are meant to prevent spreading the bacteria to others.) Also, we would have to do the lab test to confirm diagnosis and it sounded unpleasant to obtain the swab needed, with no benefit to my child that I could see (as treatment was exactly the same whether the diagnosis was confirmed by a lab in a week, or not). And I have to say, in the back of my mind I did not want to report an unvax'd case.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
poppan is offline  
#28 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 04:09 PM
 
mom0810's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
posted by SpottedFox: And when the time comes, I would absolutely ask her why. The second time was absolutely worse than the first time. Maybe because I'm a bit older, maybe because my disease has progressed a bit since then, who knows. I'm still coughing (no where near as bad) a month later."

--and you will cough for two more months, if what you had was really pertussis. That's why it's called the 100 day cough.

You can be coughing for 6 weeks or more after typical viral bronchitis, too. And mycoplasma (walking pneumonia) will cause a cough lasting two months or more sometimes.

The vaccine does NOT prevent transmission, so if that is the rationale for vaccinating, it's not a great one.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  
 

mom0810 is offline  
#29 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 05:04 PM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post
No. The vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting the pertussis. I'm sure someone can chime in and explain this better than I can, but I think it prevents the toxin from attaching that causes the awful part of the cough. So you still "catch" pertussis and you still spread it around. You just don't get the quite as bad of a cough from it, which actually makes you more likely to spread it on to more people, since you don't realize you have pertussis.
maybe this will help
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC529164/


Quote:
The absence of vaccine-induced bactericidal activity in vitro is consistent with the observation that the pertussis vaccine is effective at preventing severe disease, likely due to pertussis toxin neutralization and blocking attachment to reduce bacterial colonization, but it is less effective at producing a sterilizing immune response (5, 18). Despite high vaccination rates, the number of reported cases of pertussis in the United States has increased steadily since the 1980s (22). Developing a pertussis vaccine with a greater potential to elicit bactericidal activity could reduce bacterial carriage and reduce the incidence of disease.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#30 of 53 Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM
 
eireann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
But the DTaP isn't offered to children in the real danger zone (under 6 months) I think it comes down to personal responsibility. If you have a cough you should stay home, period.
that.
eireann is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off