Moving to Chile and don't want to vax - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-20-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are moving to Santiago, Chile this November. My daughter will be 12 months when we move. We have never vaccinated her and don't have any plans to. No vaccinations are needed to enter the country, but family members have started to make me worry now. We will be down there for 2 to 4 years. I am still breastfeeding and hope to breastfeed until my daughter is 2, at minimum, hopefully we can go longer.

Should I get her vaxed before she goes? Does anyone know of a good resource to help me decide if she would be safe un-vaxed down there?

Thank you so much!!
#2 of 8 Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What are your family member's specific concerns?

Are they fact based or just fear based on ...well nothing?

I assume you will not be living out in a mud hut, but in Santiago where medical care is avaliable if needed. This may ease your mind

http://apps.who.int/immunization_mon...fileresult.cfm

look at the reported cases of VPD's in this country. Very small. Looks like mumps and pertussis, but this is no different from the US. Chile has a highly vaccinated population.

and here
http://www.who.int/csr/don/archive/country/chl/en/
there hasn't been a disease outbreak reported in chile since a cholera outbreak in 1998.

I'd be more concerned about earthquakes than i would about VPD's!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 8 Old 07-21-2010, 11:44 AM

Take a copy of "Naturally Healthy Babies and Children" and "How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Dr."

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 8 Old 07-25-2010, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both!! The WHO link made me feel much better and will be a great reference to send to family if they keep giving me a hard time.
#5 of 8 Old 07-25-2010, 01:17 AM

I'm Chilean. I don't see any different in the medical and sanitary conditions between USA and Chile. Chilean population is highly vaccinated. From my point of view the common chilean contagious illness is due to over use of antibiotics, polution (in Santiago) and too much junk food diet.
If you going to live in Santiago try to travel often to other city to have fresh air, eat tons of probiotics and has a healthy life style.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#6 of 8 Old 07-25-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

isbichi...
thanks for the info! yes, we will be living in Santiago. I am concerned about the pollution but we are planning to be out of the city every weekend for exploring and fresh air. I am also thinking about buying some air purifiers for the home and one that we can clip to us while out and about in the city.
We already eat very healthy (westonaprice.org) and add probiotics to our diet.
Any other advice would be welcomed!
#7 of 8 Old 07-25-2010, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabchi View Post
I'm Chilean. I don't see any different in the medical and sanitary conditions between USA and Chile. Chilean population is highly vaccinated. From my point of view the common chilean contagious illness is due to over use of antibiotics, polution (in Santiago) and too much junk food diet.
If you going to live in Santiago try to travel often to other city to have fresh air, eat tons of probiotics and has a healthy life style.
I'm not Chilean, but I've lived in Santiago and have to agree with this. The pollution is a much bigger health concern than the VPDs, and public health officials there seemed as obsessed with vaxes as they are in the U.S. (Maybe Isabchi, being Chilean, has a different experience. But that was my impression)!

I did everything that the WHO told me to before I went there (and before I was better educated ) I got vaccinated for Hep A and even had an oral typhoid fever vax! The people at the health dept tried to portray Santiago as some disease-ridden, third-world cesspool, and I believed them. Never mind that they'd never been there.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#8 of 8 Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
I'm not Chilean, but I've lived in Santiago and have to agree with this. The pollution is a much bigger health concern than the VPDs, and public health officials there seemed as obsessed with vaxes as they are in the U.S. (Maybe Isabchi, being Chilean, has a different experience. But that was my impression)!

I did everything that the WHO told me to before I went there (and before I was better educated ) I got vaccinated for Hep A and even had an oral typhoid fever vax! The people at the health dept tried to portray Santiago as some disease-ridden, third-world cesspool, and I believed them. Never mind that they'd never been there.
Yep, public health officials are very fascinated and all about vaccinations. So sad!. Any way, in Santiago you will have access to few holistic health providers, maybe some antroposophic doctors.
Try to contact Organic farmers group ( through facebook) in advance to access to variety of produces or maybe could be a good idea to contact slow food chile. You can find organic produces in supermarkets but a very high prices. Be aware that chilean veggies are higly sprayed. If you drink cows milk, you have to know that almost nobody drinks fresh milk, It's quiet popular powder milk or in Tetra packs ( like Parmalat).
I'll also try to figure out in advance how to access to some products or supplement that are very expensive in Chile like Coconut Oil and vitamins, maybe trough Amazon.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page