Consent Form - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-26-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my 5 years old daughter is staying with my parents for 2 weeks for vacation. My mother asked me if I could write a medical consent form for her in case an emergency arise.

I was wondering if anyone know where I can find a consent form that states no vaccines can be given during emergency treatments?

Thanks,
Lauren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-26-2010, 05:48 PM

Just write it in.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 13 Old 07-26-2010, 06:24 PM
mgg

Lnanaa,

Unless you're worried about your parents asking them to immunize, this isn't a concern. You should always give whomever will be caring for your children a note giving them consent to seek medical treatment, but that still doesn't mean the provider can do something without that person's consent.

So, like I said, unless you are worried that the folks are going to take her and get her immunized, I don't think there is a concern.
#4 of 13 Old 07-26-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgg View Post
Lnanaa,

Unless you're worried about your parents asking them to immunize, this isn't a concern. You should always give whomever will be caring for your children a note giving them consent to seek medical treatment, but that still doesn't mean the provider can do something without that person's consent.

So, like I said, unless you are worried that the folks are going to take her and get her immunized, I don't think there is a concern.
The parents don't have to ask, the medical staff would most likely offer, perhaps even pressure them to vaccinate (particularly for Tetanus). I wrote on my child's school medical form something like "vaccines are not emergency medicine and I do not consent to him receiving any vaccinations without my written consent."

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Are you going to be inaccesible by phone?

When my parents watch my children, I intentionally DON'T write a medical consent form. (I trust my parents, but I wouldn't write a blank check to anyone.) This isn't TV. Every ER will treat a child with a medical emergency without anyone's consent. If it's not a medical emergency they can reach me by phone and I can give guidance. Also, if it's not an emergency, it can wait til I get home. I can't imagine a circumstance that's not a medical emergency that I would want anyone else making medical decisions about.

Imagine if the authorities found your child wandering the streets with X problem. They would treat the problem to the standard of medical care and then stop. It's the same as if your parents brought the child in.

I am an EMT and this is what we are taught.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#6 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 12:28 PM
mgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
Are you going to be inaccesible by phone?

When my parents watch my children, I intentionally DON'T write a medical consent form. (I trust my parents, but I wouldn't write a blank check to anyone.) This isn't TV. Every ER will treat a child with a medical emergency without anyone's consent. If it's not a medical emergency they can reach me by phone and I can give guidance. Also, if it's not an emergency, it can wait til I get home. I can't imagine a circumstance that's not a medical emergency that I would want anyone else making medical decisions about.

Imagine if the authorities found your child wandering the streets with X problem. They would treat the problem to the standard of medical care and then stop. It's the same as if your parents brought the child in.

I am an EMT and this is what we are taught.
xerxella, There is a big difference between an emergency, and an acut or even urgent need. While you are right that true emergent care won't be delayed. The consent note (very simple and straightforward) is always a good idea. We have lot's of kids in our practice who may be staying with grandma, aunt or even a family friend while the parents are away. If that child needs to be seen, we are not allowed to do anything without either written or direct verbal consent. And while yes, you usually will be available, it is not always the case.

I'm not talking about broken limbs. But what about an ear infection? Croup? Wheezing? A urinary tract infection?

I find it hard to believe a parent would trust someone with the care of their child, but wouldn't trust them to seek basic medical care. Kind of puzzling?
#7 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I find it hard to believe a parent would trust someone with the care of their child, but wouldn't trust them to seek basic medical care. Kind of puzzling?
No. It is not unusual here to have family with different views on appropriate medical treatment and/or would give into pressure to vaccinate.

#8 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 01:29 PM
mgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
No. It is not unusual here to have family with different views on appropriate medical treatment and/or would give into pressure to vaccinate.

Perhaps, but if they would expressly go against a parents clear wishes and instructions, well then there's a much much bigger problem with the whole family situation that should probably be addressed.
#9 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Yes to this.

Quote:
Perhaps, but if they would expressly go against a parents clear wishes and instructions, well then there's a much much bigger problem with the whole family situation that should probably be addressed.
I know my mom would follow my wishes overall. But, I also know she would easily just "do as she's told" by any authority figure. She's just that type of person. And, if a medical person started scareing her with all these potential problems about not vax, she would just say, "why don't you do whatever you think is best." She's just more of a follower that way. But, this post isn't about me.

I don't see why an ear infection, croup, UTI or any of the other things listed can't wait for a phone call to me. Actually, my standing requests with babysitters is to just call me if they have any medical concerns. And go directly to the ER with any emergency. And, I have had a babysitter call me at work, I directed her to our doc. The doc called me and we spoke on the phone, consent was given and there were no problems.

#10 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 01:58 PM
mgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
I don't see why an ear infection, croup, UTI or any of the other things listed can't wait for a phone call to me. Actually, my standing requests with babysitters is to just call me if they have any medical concerns. And go directly to the ER with any emergency. And, I have had a babysitter call me at work, I directed her to our doc. The doc called me and we spoke on the phone, consent was given and there were no problems.
I had a patient come in last week with the close friend of the parents. Mom and dad were in St. Thomas for a wedding, and they were out on the beach all day. Mom had given her friend a note stating she had permission to seek medical care if necessary. She brought her in with a fever and sore throat because the neighbors had strep. I was able to see her, perform a rapid strep test (negative! LOL!) and send them on their way. If she hadn't had the note, she would have had to wait another day until she could get in touch with mom in the evening. Not a disaster, but certainly an inconvenience.

As for the concern about a physician convincing someone with a "proxy" to immunize an unimmunized child, well that would be pretty reprehensible. While I strongly advocate for vaccination, if a physician in my practice pulled a stunt like that, they wouldn't be in my practice much longer.
#11 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I had a patient come in last week with the close friend of the parents. Mom and dad were in St. Thomas for a wedding, and they were out on the beach all day. Mom had given her friend a note stating she had permission to seek medical care if necessary. She brought her in with a fever and sore throat because the neighbors had strep. I was able to see her, perform a rapid strep test (negative! LOL!) and send them on their way. If she hadn't had the note, she would have had to wait another day until she could get in touch with mom in the evening. Not a disaster, but certainly an inconvenience.

As for the concern about a physician convincing someone with a "proxy" to immunize an unimmunized child, well that would be pretty reprehensible. While I strongly advocate for vaccination, if a physician in my practice pulled a stunt like that, they wouldn't be in my practice much longer.
Personally, I would accept the inconvenience. But, we all have to make personal medical choices for our children as we see fit.

While, you may never vaccinate a child in the above stated scenario, there are those who would. I don't believe my doctor's office would, but I wouldn't put it to the test. Also, what if it's a grey area? What if the non vaxed child is coughing? Is it Pertussis? Or, has a wound? Could they get Tetanus? Would the doc recommend DTaP? These are the types of decisions I want to be a part of.

#12 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnanaa View Post
Hi, my 5 years old daughter is staying with my parents for 2 weeks for vacation. My mother asked me if I could write a medical consent form for her in case an emergency arise.

I was wondering if anyone know where I can find a consent form that states no vaccines can be given during emergency treatments?

Thanks,
Lauren
I use the Consent for Medical/Surgical Care/Emergency Treatment and Child’s Medical Information form and Personal Medical History form from the American College of Emergency Physicians - http://www.acep.org/patients.aspx?Li...&fid=896&Mo=No

I include the relevant medical/health info, but I also alter the document(s) by stating I do NOT consent to any vaccinations without my written consent. I have given a copy of these forms to people my child(ren) carpool with, as well as family and friends that care for my child when I'm not with them.

Hope this helps!

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#13 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 05:04 PM

For my child's care provider, I always just write "NO VACCINATIONS ARE AUTHORIZED" in big letters next to the medical consent language.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page